Is MP-5 Megs catalyzing older fans into collection downsizing?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tenebrouser, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No downsizing here. I'm not even interested in MP Megatron. He looks cool don't get me wrong, but I'm not interested in owning him.

If I ever did downsize it would actually be the old G1 stuff and reissues I get rid of, they just don't do it for me anymore.

2. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

Actually MP5 catallyzed me into making another shelf for G1 Optimus/Megatron interpretations along these years. This new shelf will have Masterpieces, MegaSCFs, Collection #0 and #6, HoCs, Revoltechs, WSTF VS set, PVC battle damage set and probably Action Masters (if I find a Megatron for a reasonable price).

So, no downsizing.

3. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

That's exactly what I'm doing, almost to a tee. I have the first wave of listings scheduled for tonight on some Cybertron figures, namely Scourge and Leobreaker MISB.

4. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I'm doing the mostly G1 and Classic stuff now along with a few choice items in between.

Got really lucky recently and have been able to get ahold of a few G1's at good prices. Also have some Alts and a 20th Ann. Prime. Plus all my tiny plastic items like Myclones and HOC. Can't forget my THS's!

Would love to get get MP-5, but I just don't have the $$$.

5. Prime Evil

Prime Evil Renegade

Great topic btw! I have honestly been feeling the same way this year. I bought myself some bins so I can start storing a lot of what I don't even want anymore. I feel like I was just collecting just for the sake of it at one point. When I started running out of space, I realized that I had a lot of things that I just didn't even care about. I want to sell so much of my stuff, but I honestly don't know if they are even worth much. I'd like to get rid of a lot my my AEC stuff. Maybe I'll just give them to my nephew...

I'll still collect, but I'm gonna stick to the MP, Alts/BT's/Kiss, classics, and I'm pretty selective with the Titaniums. I have clean my shelves now and have only those figures out and I feel happy with my collection now. No clutter. Just G1 related stuff and that's what brought me back in the very first place.

6. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Folks:

Never! My collection shall grow without bound, until it does collapse under its own mass into an all-consuming singularity, absorbing the universe, and thus it will become truly and finally complete. Bwahahahaha! Bwahahahahahahahahaha!

*medication*

Eh...sorry about that. Actually, I don't intend to downsize, but I have always tried to pace myself. To do otherwise is, well, see above.

And Thundercracker, I like your Monte. Good luck with it. That was the nicest body style that car's had yet, in my opinion.

7. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    I downsized my collection once somewhere during the last of BW and into BM and now kind of regret doing it because some of the toys I once had I actually miss and want to get them again. I doubt I will ever downsize again, but I have narrowed my focus quite a bit. I won't be getting any movie-related toys (unless given to me as a gift). I will still get TIs, Classics (if they continue post-movie), the last two Alts and MP-05. Beyond that, I don't know. Maybe I'll focus on completing the 84-85 line or maybe I'll stop altogether.

But I can say that MP-05 coming out was just a coincidence. These ideas have been brewing for a few years now. In fact, at one time I had said I wouldn't get any of the Cybertron toys (because collecting all of Armada/Energon burned me out). But I ended up getting one of each new mold in the line. Eh, c'est la vie.

8. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    Skipping a chunk of this discussion....

I've pruned a bit from my collection w/plans to prune a bit more. Why? Several reasons. G1 and BW are the main attractions to me, so I've got pretty definitive versions of the beasts and am making progress on modern G1 guys. Even among G1, I'm pretty much only attached to the cartoon/movie guys, so that is limited. I'm cutting my collection down to the show BW characters, g1 renditions I like, and other assorted figs from the last decade I think are good transformers - of which there are a fair few, but still means I'm cutting 100+ figs.

Space is also a consideration. I have too many to display them in anything other than 'all in robot mode in lines' at the moment. I'd like to have some cleaner, more iconic shelves.

9. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Already did , I only collect G1, some MIB and some loose all complete. I wont get over to japanese unic G1s, cost to much. I have the BTs and MP Prime. But everything else was sold of ,Rid,Armada ,Energon .

10. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A very good argument. Hmmm.. what if the Masterpiece line continue on with the G1 theme... that would be very interesting. A masterpiece Soundwave sounds really profitable especially if they decided to do all the cassettes! Just image it! How mind blowing! Hopefully they remake Starscream to be the same scale as the MP-01 and MP-05 cause really SS looks like that midget from Jackass compared to the two MPs. This would really cause some collectors to downsize since Masterpiece are really cool.

11. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I don't buy everything anymore. I just buy the stuff that interests me the most. Classics is the first line I actually intend to complete since RID and Armada.

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I only decided to downsize when I finally tried to display ever TF I had. They took up way too much space. I couldn't justify owning a toy that would sit in a box in the back of a closet. If I can't display it, I don't need it. Then when I was looking over the amount of space I had to display, I had to choose what toys to keep that I could get into those spaces. I picked G1, BW & BM, Alts ( not all of them, just the ones that feel like MP upgrades of the characters ) & MPs, and Classics & G1 Titaniums. I kept a few RID toys like Omega Prime, Scourge, and the car brothers, but only because they are awesome.

13. TCM Hitchhiker

TCM Hitchhiker Decepticon

I really only collect G1 and G1 related stuff.

G1
    WST
    Classics
    Masterpiece
    Reissues

Most everything else never really interested me.

14. Kenucme

Kenucme Yes, I'd get that one too

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now I say theres no way I'm downsizing. I've got a collecting bug that has to be satisfied. I've pretty well gotten everything from now back through Beast Machines and I'm working heavily on Beast Wars now. G2 is coming along as well. Just of matter of time before I get to G1 and have to really slow down because I can't get it the way I want --- MISB all the way.

It doesn't matter to me that I have them all stored away in boxes. The ones I think are cool I get one extra for display. The only downsizing I did was getting rid of loose figures of which I had too many from buying lots from eBay.

15. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Downsize the Transformers collection? probably not. I am going to eventually divest some of my other collections (comics, vintage video games, other toys) that I have in storage but I will still keep my focus on "Japanese Robots"

16. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

Half way through Cybertron I quit being a completist. My entire room was filled with shelves and I took them all down, packed the TFers up and put them in the shed.

I only left out Unicron, Masterpiece Prime, and my MISB Bookstyle Reissues.

Nowadays I only buy ones on discount, Alts, Bookstyle Reissues, expensive imports (MP Megatron, Soundwave MP3 with headphones) and other things that catch my eye.

I'd much rather have bigger more expensive transformers then a bunch of cheaper ones. I'm also blessed to NOT be into the movie toys, I'll pick them up when they're clearanced.

17. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

I started out Alternators only, and searching around for info on them led me to this site. For me, that Smokescreen was out of nowhere, and I hadn't collected any toys in years, but he got me. Then I was going to ignore the Binaltechs but I found BT Tracks for $20 and then BTA came along. Cool. I got sent overseas, but I managed to keep up with ordering the Alts that came out while I was gone online (Wheeljack) and I planned to stop with Alts. Then Starscream came out, but I was able to resist ordering that. Then I got back and saw the classics in person, and I figured I'd get a Bumblebee to go with my Alts (since I figure that he's just about in cartoon scale with the them) and I saw Hot Rod. And it continued on from there until I had 95% of them. With me owning Prime, MP Megs is a dream come true and a no-brainer.

So unless something really nice comes out (now that the Alts and Classics are finished and Megs is on his way), I don't see myself getting another Transformer outside of Revoltech Megs for a while.

18. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    The MPs are not the reason I'm planning on downsizing. Lack of room, funds and a clear regret in buying some of them (Armada TFs) are my motivations.

19. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

I bought a buttload of energon figures. almost have all of them, except the repaints. That was the first and last time I'll do that. Now I just concentrate on the classics, masterpieces, and alternators....

I'll pick up the occasional "cool" figure. I'm a big Smokescreen whore, so I'll pick up anything related to him. I love the oddball stuff like the techdude powermaster prime.

I think I may pick up a healthy selection of the movie figures if they don't suck....but that remains to be seen.

20. pcsguy88

pcsguy88 I'm a Toys R Us kid TFW2005 Supporter

Ditto. Smokescreen was the first toy I had bought in 15yrs, followed by 20th Anv Prime for $50 on clearance. After that, I tried to collect the Alts and a few BT's, but quickly got swept up and bought a few Energons and some used junk, then sold them off in bulk for pennies because I hated them so much. I did buy most of the Classics after buying a few for my nephew, but they completely satisfy my G1 nostalga. I am sad that the Alts are ending and with it my collecting, but I will always pay close attention to the Masterpieces. I recently got MP-02 and could absolutely kick myself for waiting so long. He is my favorite for now, but MP-05 is in the mail. I will display my collection behind glass and in my office for my eyes only. Alts and MP's deserve to be treated like the fine pieces of art & engineering that they are.

Thank God for this movie! It is really going to save me time and money wasted on toys.