Is MP-5 Megs catalyzing older fans into collection downsizing?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tenebrouser, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Just curious, as it seems that older fans who've been around the hobby awhile are vastly motivated these days to completely downsize their collection after receiving this jewel.

Personally, the MP-5 has caused me to rethink completely my collecting habits. I'm not a completionist by any stretch, but now I've started the process of selling everything I think sucks post-G1, which is surprisingly a lot.

2. Clutchburn

Clutchburn Swollen Member

Ebay:
    I've severely downsized my collection. My main focus is now Masterpieces, Alts and BTs which I've 98% completed. I'm dumping everything else except for a few choice G1 and other figures that I'm keeping solely for Nostalgia.
    I've also found myslef drifting towards gobots, because of their cheap price compared to vintage G1's and their fiddly funness.

3. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I'm not sure how others feel on the subject, but for me no. It wasn't MP Megatron that made me decide to downsize... it's a decision I made awhile ago based on many factors (lack of space, lack of funds, upcoming wedding) and have been slowly but surely implementing. MP Megatron, however, has proven to be a very nice cut-off point for my collecting.

There are very few new Transformers that Hasbro or Takara-TOMY can make that will really attract me back, I think. MP Dragon Megatron or MP SHOCKWAVE would do it. But otherwise I'm done after MP Megatron, and if I ever find him, Alt Ravage V2. Not that I'm done with TFs all together, though... still love the IDW comics and the message boards!

4. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

I think that may be true of some people, myself included. Now that we are FINALLY getting definitive G1 goodness in spades, I'm realizing that I only collected a lot of prior stuff because it was there, because it said "Transformers" or was "close enough". But true, updated G1 is what I wanted all along. At least I was never a completist.

Most of my non-essential purchases have already been sold off, and I'm now taking a long, hard look at a lot of my Beast Wars and AEC stuff to send to the chopping block...

5. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I know what you mean. For years I collected Star Wars figures. At the time my roommate collected them (ironically enough because of me) and he was one of those collectors that had to have two of everything, even the variants, one to open and one to keep in package. Ten years later, he still collects them like that to this day. When we went to Celebration III a couple of years ago, he spent 8 HOURS in line at the official store so he could get the exclusive action figure. I got out of line after 15 minutes.

Anyway, after awhile, I got tired of spending all of my free time running around town trying to find the next figure on the list. It all got to be so overwhelming, especially once the Prequels started hitting the theaters. So when I quit collecting Star Wars toys, I reconnected with my inner Transfan. It seemed perfect for me because right off the bat, Transformers was a smaller, niche collectible that was still under the radar (this was the time of Beast Wars/Machines). They were popular toys, but they weren't popular to the level of Star Wars toys.

I picked up figures I thought were cool, some of which I was disappointed with after I opened them and they went into the storage bin in the closet. Then the G1 Commemorative Series began and I stalked the Toys R Us toy aisles until I got my hands on a couple of Optimus Primes. That got me going again. I picked up some older Transformers on eBay here and there and then all of a sudden I had a pretty nice collection going. I've since kept it focused mainly on Optimus Primes and Alternators, with some toys here and there that I thought were cool, like some of the Beast Wars figures and a small batch of G1 like the Dinobots. And Classics, of course. I think the only Armada figures I bought were Prime and Unicron.

It's much nicer being a targeted collector because there are times here and there where I'm not hunting for anything at all. It keeps money in my pocket, at least until I find something else to blow it on - like Masterpiece Megatron. And bills. And the occasional girlfriend. Girls like it when you spend more money on them than you do on toys.

6. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm considering auctioning off most of my Unicron Trilogy stuff, mainly because I've never openned most of it and have no inclination to do so. As a result all it does is take up cupboard space. Trouble is I'm concerned that I'll get less than I paid for it.

7. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Classics played a part in my downsizing too, as it caused me to look at the AEC stuff and question why I bought it. I'm an old time "geewun" fan myself and have never really taken a liking to the new series, though admittedly Cybertron has some excellent figures. I certainly haven't followed any of the 'toons since BM. I didn't like the way they were drawn, period!

Save for a select few modern figures (Unicron, Primus, Cyb. Downshift), Classics was the sickle before the wheat field for me. When that Megs came along, it cemented a "why did I buy whis" mentality.

I'm a bigger fan than ever, but I guess tastes change.

8. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I'm currently doing a "re-focusing" of my collection, but has nothing to do with MP05 unfortunately.

I decided that deep down, I like the G1 toys the best, even though they have zero articulation etc, those old bricks just look SO DAMN COOL. So I've started to sell off most of my BM/RiD/A/E/C/ stuff.

Apart from G1 and BW show characters, I'm only keeping a few select good un's like Tidal Wave, Unicron, E Megs and the odd G1 homage. And of course my meagre Alts collection.

And I don't even like most of the classics, I've only bought Starscream and Rodimus so far. I may pick up Grimlock when he pops up at retail, but then again I may not.

I'm not sure what's prompted all this. Probably space issues, and my collection looked too higgledy-piggledy all different lines and sizes and stuff.

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    "downsize"?

10. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

I know one thing is true that I dont have as much of a desire to buy older toys, I'm still interested in picking up some of the Japanese G1 stuff like Black Zarak, Grand Maximus, the headmaster juniors, Dezaurus and such. I like alts but I think they ended up getting a little too craptastic looking visually speaking, I like the bots that look the most humanoid in robot mode, not having all kinds of crap hanging off of them that you know would prevent them from functioning well and movement wise, and the fact that I was never a big fan of most of the toys from BW thru Cybertron, its ashame we didn't have the quality and variety of toys that we have now back when we were kids(80s kids that is).

11. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

When you look at TF's from the G1 perspective...so many of the other series just seem like low quality. The Binaltch and MP series cater to adult collectors who want something reminiscent to what got them interested in the first place. I'm with you on this.

12. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Not really, I WAS going to stop after the last two Alternators, but then they announced MP Megatron, so I had to get him too.

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I have NO intention of downsizing my collection whatsoever.

14. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

I have not downsized other when i sold a ton of MISB G1 stuff to get some money. I have stopped collecting anything I didn't really like. I don't buy 2 of anything unless I love it. unfortunately for me we have had a run of nothing but sick classics, masterpiece and alts. So I still have been buying doubles of a lot. Even knock offs. I really want to just complete my loose G1 collection, which will probably cost me about 25k, then my G1 MISB collection. Which would run me probably close to 100K when all was said and done. The illness of loving case fresh boxed stuff.

15. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

I downsized my collection once, around the time Armada was around. I quit collecting and convinced myself I was never going to get into Transformers again. So I got rid of RiD Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, Skybyte, a complete collection of RiD Spychangers, all five parts of RiD Ruination, BM Blast Punch Optimus Primal, plus some assorted other toys I can no longer remember (unfortunately, a couple of accessories for toys I did keep also got lost in this purge, like RiD Scourge's gun and Armada Starscream's minicon).

I still regret that, especially RiD Prime. So even if I do ever decide to stop collecting again, I'll be keeping what I've got. Just in case. And I'm in through at least the movie, after that, I'll see.

16. CrockAlley

CrockAlley Gween donkey! Mine!

Question for everyone: why would you sell your toys? Do you need the money to pay bills, or to buy other toys? I can understand if you need the money for life's necessities.

I am personally trying to "cut down" on my toy purchases to save money. I would never sell them unless I really needed the money for something important. MP-05 has nothing to do with my decision to slow down my collection, although he is a hindrance to that goal.

17. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Exactly! MP05 is just another Transformer. Plastic Craack! If I stop collecting, it will mean I'm dyin'. TRANSFORMERS!

18. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I decided to start downsizing my collection after A) I finally realized exactly how bad a lot of the G1 toys really are and how most of them (imo) are not even worth pulling out of storage for display purposes, and B) I finally took notice of Hasbro's inconsistant and VERY frustrating way of releasing & not releasing certain characters in lines that I've already spent tons of money on trying to complete *cough*Alternators!*cough*.

Outside of a few favorite characters that I consider to also have decent toy molds, I'm getting rid of the majority of my G1 collection. As much as I like Omega Supreme as a character, for example, his toy just doesn't fit in with the style & colors of Prime, Megs, Soundwave, Shockwave, etc. He's very kiddy/cartoony looking, so he's gone.

I may hold onto my Alternators for a while, but if they never release the remaining core Autobots, I'll likely dump that entire collection as well. Blame it on my "all or nothing" anal retentive collecting habits.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the Classics. I'm glad to be getting the remaining Seekers, but due to there being SO many other character gaps with this line, as well as figures like Megatron simply looking like ass, I may get rid of some/most of them as well. Might wait another year just to be sure there definitely won't be more of them.

I'll still keep an eye on the G1 & WW titaniums, the Masterpieces and one-offs like that new MP3 Soundwave, but overall, I think I've pretty much plateued. And honestly, I blame it entirely on Hasbro's business practice of never finishing what they start. But that's just me.

19. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I'm only downsizing in the sense of I don't like the movie designs (except Prime), Alternators, Classics, and probably Titaniums are MIA during the movie. Therefore, I won't have anything to spend my money on...perhaps I'll start buying those missing G1ers.

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Nah I'm still going strong:) 

I disagree with you there...I'm all about G1 and always will be, but I like the changes they make to the characters every series...you can only rehash a character so many times before it gets old! (Prime)