Is Masterpiece Starscream (Hasbro) a good figure?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by VaderPrime1, Jul 18, 2009.

1. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I was planning on gettting him, but some people are saying that the plastic it brittle. Can owners please elaborate for me, or is the figure fine? Another question: Is there something else that would be better to get for the same price of $60?

2. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

the only problem is the white area that folds the wings against his back. that's prone to breakage and mine broke with me handling it carefully every time i transformed it. just reinforce it with a layer of super glue beforehand. it's a good buy but there are lots of better figures for $60, like leader prime and then you can still get sideswipe or some other deluxe

3. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    i think the figure is fine.. i dont know for sure, i havent transformed him very many times.. and i dont play with it much.. but i dont think there's anything major wrong with this figure.. and for the money, its a great figure to own

4. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    id save the money and get walmart skywarp in september

5. maninthebox94

maninthebox94 Banned

mine seems to be amazingly sturdy, i love the figure, i recomend him to all.

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't had any problems with the figure (haven't noticed any stress-marks or anything on the plastic), but then I don't manipulate or transform it very often. It's a nice toy and worth getting, IMO.

7. Screamer52488

Screamer52488 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    No problems here. Love him he's one of my favorites.

8. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I hope it's good. Never saw it in a store so, I never bought it. I'm going to buy the Universe MP Skywarp though.

9. Icetron

Icetron Well-Known Member

I transformed mine 4 times in total, cool toy. If I had more room I would display him in jet mode, I really like that mode. :) 

10. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Though I've never transformed him, he fell on his face a couple of times and nothing ever happened. He looks flimsy and brittle as hell but seems to be made of sturdier stuff than he looks.

I'd recommend him. If you want an MP Starscream, he's awesome.

11. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I think one of my cats knocked mine off of the top shelf of my desk and one of his null ray guns broke. My last attempt with rubber cement failed - will have to try again.

But otherwise, he's grand. And really, Starscream is way more iconic than Skywarp.

12. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I paid $60 for mine and I was worth my money and I haven't even opened it. I enjoy looking at it in it's box, and I open all my TF's.

13. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I wouldn't do that, just take a sharp knife, trim the tiniest little amount of the hinge's rounded corner so its slightly more rounded, as the whole issue isn't strength, but that the area is too tight so when you rotate it, it stresses the part.

Having said that, I've had no issue with mine, and I didn't have to do anything to it, either. :)  All I've done is the leg kibble mod so he looks more like the original prototype in robot mode (while still having the same exact look in jet mode so it's the best of both worlds)

14. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I'll be honest with you, he's a great collection piece, but he's not without his flaws.

Positives:
    -Jet mode looks fantastic, and extremely detailed.

-Dr. Arkeville rides in the cock pit and can sit in his hands.

-Posability is remarkable for a Starscream figure, he seriously blows away every figure that has come before this one.

-Can hold and use Megatron in pistol form (the one from Masterpiece Convoy/20th Optimus)

-Transformation is intricate and impressive.

-Can smirk like a smug badass, or have a straight face.

-Nice display stand.

Negatives:

-Articulated fingers are small. (Emphasis on small) And like to pop apart if you're not careful. I can imagine quite a few folks will lose (or have already) some of those fingers.

-Wing hinges are made of thin, thin plastic. I don't know if it's a case of the plastic being brittle or the tolerances being too extreme, one or the other, but yes, stress marks and fractures do happen. (However, some hinges crack to relieve the pressure and that's all the damage you'll ever see.) I don't think I've heard of anyone's 'Screamer having his wings completely break off.

-He does feel like he's made from model plastic, so he doesn't feel entirely sturdy.

-Flaps on the side of his fuselage don't want to sit flush due to a design flaw and slight modifications are required to get them to sit flush. (If it doesn't bother you, then ignore this last one.)

If I had to do it all over again, yes, I'd buy him. Even with his flaws, he's a really terrific display piece in either form, and if you're careful with the hinge (or lucky) he makes for a great TF too. (I.E. playing with him)

However, I wouldn't spend more than $60.00 or so on him, because he's not the same size as the other Masterpieces (Optimus and Megatron, hell, I think Grimlock's bigger than he is...) and due to his potential negatives, it would suck to spend that kind of dough just to have it break.

Good luck in finding one at a good price.

P.S. I'd say $80.00 max (including shipping)

15. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i am getting one as soon as possible to go with the mp skywarp that will be released in the future (i wanted one when he came out but never saw one)

16. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

my hasbro starscream does feel a bit more flimsy than my takara thundercracker...may be different plastic was used? i have yet to transform SS but all the joints seems fine, no cracks. except the knees which feel a bit loose, sometimes its a bit difficult to make him stand up on his own as the knees kept sinking in. everything is nice and tight on my takara TC. overall SS is a great figure, i love it!

17. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

yes he's a great figure. I'm looking forward to the Skywarp coming out that will go with him. Everything really that could be said about him has been said already. The feel of the plastic, problem areas, etc. But all in all he's a really great figure, very detailed and with a really cool transformation.

I really like how the MP figures all have (in a way) their original G1 style kind of transformations, just more complicated. They're a brilliant update to the old toys.

18. NorwFan

NorwFan Well-Known Member

Is the takara version any better?

19. Dally

Dally Decepticon

Ebay:
    No. Inaccurate paint job and even more fragile plastic. Though I believe they did release one with the Hasbro paint job, but I'm not sure how the plastic holds up on it.

20. deathonacracker

deathonacracker Decepticrumb

Ebay:
    I bought the Hasbro version from Ebay and he is one of my favorites. there's some minor problems with the tail fins falling off and kibble but i found him to be well worth it.