Is Masterpiece Grimlock really too small?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by megaplex001, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Elrodthealbino

Elrodthealbino Nerd Alert!

I have never been the slightest bit bothered by his scale. He is supposed to be a big guy. He is a big guy. We are done here.

2. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

I know I would buy them. I know others here would. I just don't know if there are enough of us or, if there are, that Takara knows there are enough of us to make it happen.

3. sparkimusprime

sparkimusprime Coffee+Black=Delicious

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Works for me, but I ain't picky. He sits on the same shelf with MP10, MP11 Thundercracker, MP SW, the Lambos, Quakewave, AND Hexatron. These are all Masterpiece figures TT, Hasbro, or otherwise.

4. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well that's the point I was sort of trying to make: there are enough of us because it's basically only us that are buying these things. Hasbro and their versions are a different story, but where Takara is concerned with their FAR more limited production run numbers, we're more than doing our job for them justifying green lighting more & more figures. They even said that the small delays around MP-17-19 are due to "unexpected" overwhelming demand.

Long story short: even a terrible selling MP (from Takara) would still be at least an entire first run sellout, but at this point, they've proven they can MP anything and we (collectors) will indeed buy it. 6 Constructicons that allegedly "all look them same" because of their colors? Yup! 5 Dinobots that allegedly "don't matter" and/or also "basically look the same"? Yup! 3 bots we know as Reflector that are identical? Yup! Someone as dull as... Skids? Sure, if it means completing a S2 cast, why not! :)  They've got us, hook, line & sinker. They know it and we know it - even despite some of these "whaa, no rubber or diecast" forum whiners trying to imply otherwise.

5. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Y'know, I'd be fine if TT stuck by this Grimlock and made the rest of the Dinobots to this size. It's pretty much the standard MP leader height. Like I said, Grimlock's bulk makes up for him not being taller than Prime. He just looks so damn awesome. Now, if we're talking Skyfire, we better be talkin' MP-01 height there...

6. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    MP-08 is a bit short but I'm fine with him. Now, if TT decided to remake him in "proper" scale, well, I'd pick that one up as well. As far as Skyfire Dean, you may want to check out the Kronos/Titan threads in the third party fourms

7. donxavier

donxavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The figure is great looking, and I love that he is part of my collection, but if you're going strictly by G1 scale then he is too short. Every Dinobot in G1 was, at least, a head taller than Prime, which meant that they towered over pretty much every other Autobot. With the Dinobots being in T4 maybe Hasbro/TT will be inspired to give us the other four G1 Dinobots in MP scale. I know it's a long shot but one can hope.

8. megaplex001

megaplex001 Well-Known Member

Call me crazy but if the rebooted Masterpiece line continues for the next few years, I think Hasbro may go back and either remake Grimlock along with the other Dino's or just scale em to him.

9. silverstreak70

silverstreak70 Well-Known Member

I feel mine scales pretty good. I have him on the bottom shelf of a detolf fighting Herc, ala the '86 movie. Any bigger and he'd single handedly be too much for Herc/Devy to handle.

10. jbwkkl

jbwkkl Wrecker for life

I could die happy if they give us an "Ultra Class" G1-esque Swoop out of the TF4 line. I mean, there have been several custom MP Swoop's, using Universe 2.0 Silverbolt's body, and they're perfectly in scale w/ Grim

11. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Well-Known Member

Tokyo, Japan (Originally from Los Angeles)
    Ebay:
    So I'm collecting Fans Toys Dinobots, but I'm wondering if this version of Grimlock fits in with the so called MP scale after MP10. What are your thoughts on MP8 or the Hasbro counterpart? Too small? Just right? Thanks in advance, as I'm targeting this first but would like feedback if I should get him or not.

12. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

In bot mode, he's small. But fits in well with dino mode. There is also Fanstoys Grinder and Oversized KO Grimlock to look at as well. Google them to see how they look together.

I would recommend FT Grinder over MP-8.

13. Gremnock

Gremnock Active Member

Ebay:
    Here is MP Grimlock with the booties on with the FT dinos. Sorry for the glare:
    IMG_20170204_205232.jpg

14. Keeno

Keeno New Guy

I'd check this review of Grinder. Goes into this in quite a bit of detail.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have both official Mp-8 and MP-8X and got the oversized MP-8 KO and the KO is now my stand in. I paid my dues to TT so no guilt there. :D 

I love the KO and the scale is perfect for me esp for the price. I love the mold, but o 20160422_221513.jpg fficial MP-8 is just too small on my MP shelf.

• Like Like x 1
  16. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    MP Grimlock has never fit in, but then he wasn't he designed to.

It confuses me when people say he doesn't scale with MP-10, yeah he doesn't but MP-10 Convoy came out in 2011, and MP-08 Grimlock came out in 2009!

So in theory he was to 'scale' with MP-1, but as we know scale wasn't the focus on pre MP-10 Masterpieces.

17. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I always felt the size of the dinobots was hugely exagerated in the cartoon.
    If he's as tall as Optimus in both modes thats enough for me.
    So in effect he is too small, but just by a tad.

18. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

^ What he said. Its a fact that if you are concearned with scale he doesnt cut it. Grimlock is supposed to be a notch taller than Optimus. Also personally, I am quite bothered by the fact that his left hand is virtually useless than doing anything else except holding his gun or sword for a useless light up gimmick (the fist is molded up and has 0 articulation).

IMHO there are better options out there for the money they ask nowdays and I have a hunch that if they ever visit the dinobots again, Grimlock is gonna get a remake.

19. AMG

AMG Old School

He's a bit small by current MP standards, but I still love the figure. He actually makes the perfect CHUG Grimlock.

20. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Well-Known Member

Tokyo, Japan (Originally from Los Angeles)
    Ebay:
    Bought Grinder. Thanks, guys. He's on his way.