Is Masterpiece Grimlock really too small?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by megaplex001, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

I have the Takara version and yes he may be 1,5in shorter than his ideal bot height, but the quality of the figures makes up for it.

2. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    He looks perfect with all MPs from MP09 onwards. Technically he is too short, but really is not noticeable, he towers over the MP cars and is just a hair shorter then MP10, about the same size as MP09. Dinosaur Mode looks perfect and if you're a cartoon fan, that's the main mode anyway and if you're a comic fan, then the scale's pretty good for robot.

Seriously though, he's pretty much the best MP ever up there with MP10 and MP11. Don't miss out on him.

3. mapatel

mapatel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Grimlock was my first MP and still stands as my favourite MP. It looks simply awesome. Im not bothered with scaled one bit tbh

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    When displayed with the other Masterpieces, yes Grimlock is too small IMO. It looks better with Classics...maybe a touch too large but it looks MUCH better. But it all just boils down to personal preference.

5. King Kaiser

King Kaiser BEARS!!!!

Yes

6. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I disagree, he sticks out like a sore thumb in Classics but meshes brilliantly with the MP09+ Masterpieces imo.

7. jbwkkl

jbwkkl Wrecker for life

As most have already said, depending upon your views of where he SHOULD be "scale-wise" is entirely up to you. As a figure, most will say he's 1 of the best overall. Talking scale, most will say he's to short.

In my opinion, he works great w/ ALL Transformers. I passed over MP-10 because I was happy w/ my 20th Ann Walmart Prime, I simply pretend that Optimus is to selfish to allow a taller "General" to overshadow him.

8. smokey420

smokey420 auto-con

If you have Igear faith leader, he looks awesome with your classics

9. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    he needs to be bigger

10. iGrimlock

iGrimlock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The thing with MP Grimlock that you have to be ok with, before you buy it, is understanding that he will not display perfectly with any other figure in the MP line. Unlike MP-1 and MP-5, who are in scale to each other(and can be displayed together, separate from other MP toys), and MP-3 and MP-9, who are in scale to the newer figures(and can sneak onto a shelf with the newer toys), MP-8 has its own scale. That might not mean much now, but should TakTom release any new Dinobots, they would almost certainly be in the new scale. Which, unfortunately, would probably leave MP-08 out in the cold.

11. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    I totally have to disagree,with my MP Grimlock right next to MP Soundwave and Acid Storm I gotta say he looks perfect since he is about a quarter head taller than Soundy and about half a head taller than Acid.

And with my MP DVD Optimus and MP05 Megatron displayed by themselves as they are drastically out of scale with all other MP's I wouldn't even try to add Grimlock to those since they would tower over Grimmy.But with all the other MP's I don't think he is too out of proportion.

12. Sludge

Sludge Forged to Fight username: Roybot

News Credits:
    Unless you're super anal about scale, Grimlock fits just fine. He's still my favorite masterpiece and should be owned by everyone.

13. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    scale...in a collection where the leader of the decepticons is a gun.

Alt mode scale will never make sense. Ever. So let's just go by botscale instead.

14. Megajon

Megajon Well-Known Member

For season 1, Grimlock is too short. By season 3 his size was a lot smaller.

15. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you actually put MP-10 (and onward figures) in dynamic poses rather than just standing there upright looking dull, MP-08 sort of works and helps him look a bit bigger than he really is. So it can work. But overall, yeah, he's definitely smaller than he should be.

I'm the in the camp that wants to see a bigger 2.0 version one of these days, but I don't want just an upscaled version of the existing mold. There are a LOT of refinements they could and should do if they tackled this character again, so I'd hope they'd sort of approach a second shot at it similarly to what they did with Starscream's MP-03 version vs. the infinitely improved MP-11 version. Lose the tail wag & light-up gimmicks, refine the forearms & claws, fix the hands, refine the loosey goosey chest, thicken up the legs/thighs, etc.

16. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I'm not real particular about scale...but my MP Grimlock is posed with my Classics Autobots instead of with my MPs. I think he looks like he fit in better than Classics Grimlock did. That being said, I consider Classics Grimlock as a Classics interpretation of Pretender Grimlock.

17. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

This is the only reason I'd want a Grimlock v2. I'm perfectly fine with his scale so long as he's the only Dinobot. He's too short but it works anyway. He looks fine next to Prime or any other figure released after him.

If they release other Dinobots, however, they will have to make a choice. Give us a taller Grimlock and then release the others in proper scale, or just shrink the Dinobots to MP-08 size and call it a day. Frankly I think they might just go ahead and do the latter, since making huge figures and driving the costs up dramatically on slightly less popular characters like Snarl and Sludge would seem a big gamble on Takara's part. Would people buy all the Dinobots at $180 each?

18. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it means, for the first & only time since G1, having a full proper Dinobot team that are cartoon AND scale accurate, yup. If we spent $60+ per 2-pack of completing the cassettes, nearly $300 on yet another Prime, nearly $200 on a Starscream & Thundercracker do-over and are prepared to do it two more times with 2.0 versions of Megatron & Skywarp, we most certainly would spend that on MP Dinobots. And by "we" I obviously mean collectors... the exact thing that this entire line is squarely aimed at.

19. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup, way to small I would buy a bigger one if they bought it.

20. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Grimmy's perfect for a Classics display, IMHO. For MP, he's a tad small for my tastes but his size is one of a few things bugging me about the mold that requires updating (the diecast chest not locking in securely somehow, the weakness of his bot mode hip joints that result in him doing the splits, the general unbalanced feel of the figure in bot mode that makes posing him a chore, the wonky head-/tail-wag gimmick in dino mode, etc.).