Is Masterpiece Grimlock really too small?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by megaplex001, Sep 28, 2013.

1. megaplex001

megaplex001 Well-Known Member

I'm been considering pulling the trigger on getting Grimlock despite that huge price. But I notice a few guys keeps saying he's too small. So I just got to wondering is he really too small to work with the new Masterpiece scale? I'm more than likely still buying em at some point I just wanted to see guys opinions on his size and how he fits into a MP collection.

2. Keldroc

Keldroc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He fits fine. He could stand to be another inch taller or so, but he's a great figure and he's close enough that it doesn't matter unless you're a stickler on a scary-maybe-should-be-on-medication level.

3. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Remember that up until MP-10, Masterpiece figures had no set scale. MP-09 and older were all one-off models that were only supposed to represent the alpha and omega versions of the G1 characters. MP-10 started a whole new scale that continued on with the MP cars. With that in mind, Grimlock is a bit small compared to MP-10 Optimus. Because of the size of the cars though, he towers over them.

MP Grimlock is a goddamn fantastic Grimlock. You're gonna be hard pressed to find a better Grimlock figure.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Keldroc

Keldroc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Also MP Grimlock is already insanely oversized in T-Rex mode compared to the Spike that comes with MP-10, and making his robot mode bigger than MP-10 would make his T-Rex mode even more ridiculously out of scale. There's no way to win, really.

5. AAarcher221

AAarcher221 NomDePlume: Jimmy Rustler

T-Rex mode is how I have my Takara MP Grimlock. He did come with that apron, bowtie, and platter, afterall.

6. gawddammit

gawddammit Rocketchoochoo

News Credits:
    MP Grimlock is just about as close to perfection as you can get.

7. KPhilipsen

KPhilipsen Banned

I hope they eventually redo Grimlock, and the other Dinobots, in the new MP style and scale. They'd be spectacular!

8. ThisGuy

ThisGuy True Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think my MP Grimlock looks great next to MP 10. Maybe a lil short, but great.

9. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

Mine is on my nightstand, scaled nicely with a bendy lamp and some random legends guys.

10. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Proper" scale or not, he'd fit on one of my shelves and look damn good.. so, if anyone wants to "donate" one, feel free... lol

11. motorthing

motorthing Foo Fighting

News Credits:
    There's plenty on these boards that swear by the holy scale-chart that he's 1.5 inches too short and a few that moan about the tail-waggle and the right hand but I love him, don't want to pay MP prices for a marginal redo and think all in all he's still the best of the bunch.

In this case size be damned. Get him and love him.

12. Pandagfx

Pandagfx Well-Known Member

He looks fine to me. If a new Grimlock was going to be only 1 or 1.5 inches taller, what could they possibly do to make it "that much better"? Besides, the only way I would buy a new version of Grimlock is if they announced all five Dinobots would be made. Otherwise, it's just a waste of a "large spot" that could be prioritized for another character.

13. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's not in scale with the MP line, this is a fact.

Now whether or not you're ok with it is another question. ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  14. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This

15. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    MP Grimlock is perfect. End of.

16. zappatton2

zappatton2 Well-Known Member

Count me among those who think yes, he is a great figure, but he is too small and there are room for improvements (ie, mine is floppy all over, messy back end of dino mode for the "waggle gimmick", could do with articulated hands, etc.). If they came out with an upscaled Grimmy, while ditching the gimmicks and improving elsewhere, I would preorder in an instant. I'd still keep old Grimlock though, he's still a great fig, and in the likelihood that he will not ever get remade, there's really no better Grimlock out there, so I'd say get him.

17. smokey420

smokey420 auto-con

I have no problem with his size, figure is pure awesomeness, people complaining saying he doesn't fit in with new scale. That means he really never fit in with old scale and nobody complained, figure is perfect. Same size as mp10, so what if he isn't bigger than prime, at least he's not smaller than prime anymore

18. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

G1 cartoon, not in scale.

G1 comic book, in scale.

Choose your poison for an otherwise awesome figure.

19. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Just got my first MP Grimlock this week, the Hasbro Asia reissue. I'll say he's best displayed with Rodimus Prime on their own shelf if possible (my designated season 3 shelf). Those two look like they "fit" together. They're the same height, but RP is so slender that it really brings out how bulky, massive, and tough looking Grimlock is with his huge shoulders, lower legs, and back kibble. I believe they share the same designer, too.

Aesthetically, I think Grimlock's perfect. Love everything about him. The only thing I'd add if I could would be a swivel waist, but I'm not taking any points off for that. No complaints. Mine has really loose hips and knees and I still love him. The tail and head wagging gimmics don't interfere at all with the figure and neither does his light up gimmick. I love the option of having red/blue eyes in either mode (mine will always be blue).

In the G1 toon, Grimlock and the other Dinobots were introduced as being a head or two taller than Prime and Megatron, but shrunk as the series went on, especially by season 3, so that they were as tall as any of the other "leader" sized characters. So there is that to consider. That being said, he still looks like he should be taller next to Optimus. I'll say that he's perfect - for now. If they ever do release a larger Grimlock, I'd be all over him, but that has to be years and years away. I'm guessing it's low on TT's list of priorities. To echo countless others, Grimlock could be an inch or so taller, but other than that he's exactly what you want. I'm usually a stickler for scale, it's one of the big appeals of MP v2 for me, but it's such a minor issue here I can let it slide.

Pull the trigger. Do it. DO IT.

20. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Use him with your Classics figures. Stick Starscream's arm in his mouth. Problem solved.