Is Masterpeice Voltron worth it?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by SPLIT LIP, Oct 18, 2007.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Ugh, I hate to start threads like these, but I must have opinions.

The master peice Voltron, he looks so good, I've seen galleries of it but have yet to find a review. And I need solid answers.

The figure itself looks perfect, absolutly stunning, I was a big fan of voltron back during the 3D show (Beast wars got me hungry for 3D animation, but when I found it couldn't compare, I sorta stopped watching Voltron), and even had one of my own. The box however, doesn't look too proffesional with the anime artwork on the sides. Which kinda ruins the display factor unless I put stuff next to it.

Any other people want to share their input?

2. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Amazing, but I sold mine.. Really looks good and well made, I will own again. Must set him free from the box !

3. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

There was a thread like this somewhere about a month or so ago. I think in the end people said the final shipments of Voltron are the good ones and earlier waves had some minor glitches. I think its pretty definitive. Better than a statue and essential if you grew up with the show.

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Nice bottom portion of your sig! Knowing is half the battle.

I've heard mixed things about the MP Voltron. I think if you make sure to get a second run version you won't have (m)any problems.

6. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I say if you already have an original Bandai or Matchbox Voltron, don't bother with Masterpiece Voltron.
    If you don't have a Voltron at all and really want one then I say buy the Masterpiece Voltron by all means.
    I have both the MP Voltron and a 1984 Bandai Voltron.

Don't get me wrong MP Voltron is a great toy but they didn't improve it enough to warrant another purchase if you already have the original IMO.

MP Voltron:

Pros:
    Great, much better anime likeness
    Better articulation

Cons:
    Lions heads do NOT shoot off
    No battle modes for the lions at all
    Some parts are a little flimsy(the wings especially, much thicker and sturdier on the original).
    NO weapons at all for the lions(if you have a original Bandai or Trendmasters you know it came with TONS of extra weapons and missile launchers, etc)

I do wish Toynami would make a Vehicle Voltron, that would be awesome. I was one of the few that liked the vehicle Voltron better than the lion Voltron when I was a kid. :) 

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I've got the trendmasters one, and aside for the weakness of the chrome, I'd say go for that, especially given the above post.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I should have mentioned. I lost (read: destroyed) my original.

9. iluvu_superion

iluvu_superion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yes, the trend master version is the closest to the 80's as far as I can remember...I have the trendmaster and I love it. Bought it for $30 when it first came out, and I'm glad I did. that puppy of a price is a steal...but yeah, the chrome is whack...

10. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    If you had a Bandai or Matchbox then, you'll see what I mean when you get the MP Voltron(no weapons, no attack mode, no shooting lions heads).

Trendmasters is an option as well, just get the die-cast version not plastic.

I got my MP Voltron for $75 last winter, which isn't bad. I would still definitely recommend it since you don't have your original anymore. Don't get me wrong, MP Voltron is not bad or anything, I just think Toynami could have done a little more to it to make it a must-have.

11. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, it was something like that. The ones in the earlier batches were crap with numerous reports of breakages etc. Not so for the subsequent batches. The thing is I do not know how to differiate between the 2 batches so in the end, I didn't buy him.

12. Shadow Convoy

Shadow Convoy Stealth Ops Commander

Ebay:
    i bought one and loved it so with my bbts store credit, i got a case of 2 :)  to bring my voltron count up to 3 hehe.

13. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    He is really worth it if you were a fan of the show. If you can find one now for $100 or less, then grab him. The lions are pretty cool to display by themselves too.

14. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    I got one of these last year for my wife, who is a bigger fan of Voltron than I am. It's pretty solid and nicely designed overall. The lions are great by themselves, and very posable, and the completed Voltron has lots of character rather than looking like a somewhat stiff 'robot toy' like most of the older versions.

My ONE problem with him is that he needs ratcheted hip joints so, so very badly. Voltron is a heavy guy, and it's almost impossible to keep him standing on his own without flopping forward at the hips. When he's on display it's a good idea to have a wall behind him for support. Of course this may just be the one I have.

15. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod Larzzing on twitter!

News Credits:
    Ebay:

There is a video review, it makes me really want one. And i'm not the bigest fan of voltron.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  16. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've never thought it actually looks all that great. Just another example of the "MP" title being thrown around too liberally if you ask me

17. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shadow Convoy - do your Voltrons have the above problems? I'm thinking of picking up 1 now but if he's unable to stand properly...

18. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Definitely get several other opinions. I didn't really research this guy before (or after) buying him because it was for my wife and she's concerned more with looks than playability, so I haven't read very many reviews or criticisms of Voltron. I'd be interested to know if the loose hips are a problem on all of them.

19. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Oh, my god, yes!! The only complaint I have is that the lions' backs don't open up for pilots (nor does it come with them). I suppose this was because of the added articulation, so it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make...

I so need to get off my lazy @$$ and do that photo comic I was wanting to do...

20. Decepti_Dave

Decepti_Dave Reformatted

My problem is the Black Lion's tail is loose and when you have it in Voltron mode, it looks funny (like Voltron with a tail).