is marvel or dc better?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by trevorb19, Oct 11, 2008.

1. trevorb19

trevorb19 Banned

hopefully not spam

2. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    doing for the lulz are we?

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I personally prefer DC, mostly for Batman, Superman and Green Lantern. Some of the stuff is better than others on both sides of course, I've been hearing good things about Nova and Deadpool on Marvel's side.

4. ultraconvoy

ultraconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    DC because of Batman

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Vertigo > DC > Marvel (Punisher MAX excepted)

6. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Always been a Marvel guy myself :) 

7. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Better? Neither company could really be considered better I'd think, unless you wanted to compare direct sales figures, but the quality of comics being produced by either is more or less even. Obviously there are going to be people who prefer one over the other for various reasons but neither can really be objectively considered "better" than the other.

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Usually I would rate them about even, but with the state of happenings in some Marvel books (like Spider-man's Quesada muck-up), I have to give the edge to DC right now.

9. trevorb19

trevorb19 Banned

oh cool

10. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Neither, both have their highs and lows.

11. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

I've been enjoying Marvel's stuff more lately, mainly because DC seems to be stuck in permanent "Crisis" mode. Of course, I'm encouraging it by reading "Final Crisis", but damn, Grant Morrison.

Marvel has great things like "Incredible Hercules", "Punisher War Journal", and "Captain Britain and MI-13", so they keep getting my moneys.

12. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch

If you plan on participating in the thread with actual opinions supporting your topic then no, it's not spam.

This doesn't help. Too concise, and implies you just wanted people to participate in something you started. I'm trying to be nice and give constructive criticism here, you seem to need it.

To make sure I'm not being a hypocrite...

I have always favored Marvel for having story lines that tend to coincide with real world current events, as well as appearing in an actual existing city such as New York as opposed to the more dark fantasy Gotham City or something to that effect.

Marvel has more characters I have followed over the years: X-Men, Spiderman, The Avengers, The Incredible Hulk, The Punisher, Daredevil as opposed to DC's Batman and Superman, which just happen to be the only characters I was interested in. This is just my preference.

As far as which is better, that will all depend on your taste in comics with respect to story and characters.

13. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Ok, well...

Used to prefer Marvel, I always found DC to be too closely-rooted in the golden age. That said, I've gone off Marvel big-style in recent years with big summer events, I mean let-downs, cross-overs, the major reliance on retcons. :( 

14. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i like marvel because it has more characters that i care about. though lately its been pissing me off with dissapointing crossovers and random ass retcons and stuff. as dc goes, i really only love batman and batman related things, though i'm enjoying some recent green lantern stuff.

15. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was a Marvel only fan for a long time, but in the last few years I've come to vastly prefer DC books. In fact, I almost dropped every Marvel book I read out of disgust during House of M.

Mind you, I still like some of the stuff Marvel puts out, but between the two I'm far more in DC's camp at this time.

16. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Historically, I've always preferred DC over Marvel. To me, Marvel has always been more melodrama with some escapism mixed in. On the other hand, DC has had more escapism and less melodrama...and I've really never been keen on the melodrama, so DC was more appealing. I also had problems with some of Marvel's 'franchises', particularly the X-Titles, who had too many characters and too much continuity minutia to keep track of, and Spider-Man, whose whining and lack of any real attempt to improve his life made me stop empathizing with him after awhile. Back when I was more into comics, I found DC's stuff more fun and interesting than Marvel's titles overall.

Currently...I have serious problems with both companies and I probably wouldn't be reading any mainstream titles if the Cyborg Superman hadn't turned up in the GL titles awhile back. With Marvel, I didn't care for the plot of Civil War, Secret Invasion doesn't interest me (and, after reading a few arcs in USM, I can't stand Bendis' writing) and, while I don't care for the Spider-Man character or read the comics, the terrible BND retcon doesn't speak well for the overarching editorial direction of the company. With DC, they seem to be focused more on nostalgia and reliving an early period in their history, revisiting continuity and old stories. Stuff from the Donner movies creeping into the Superman titles, Morrison using old continuity minutia in Knightfall Redux in the Batman titles, Barry Allen and Hal Jordan coming back, bringing back a lot of other stuff from the Silver/Bronze Ages, Kingdom Come sequel, etc. While I can understand DC's desire to appeal to long-time readers as much as possible, since monthly comics don't really seem to be drawing in any new readers, it's not appealing to me. And both companies seem to just be going from one huge crossover I'm not interested in to the next. I also don't see much point in reading some of the stories anyway, since they'll all be retconned away in 1 - 2 years anyway (does anyone seriously expect the changes to the New Gods to stick long past Final Crisis?); Spider-Man's secret identity reveal and (most of) Countdown being recent examples. I'd give a slight edge to DC right now, since I'm actually reading a couple of their comics, but neither company is really impressing me and I'm sort of looking forward to the end of Blackest Night so I can drop the GL titles too.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  17. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    I honestly prefer MARVEL COMICS over DC Comics; I have more characters and titles that I enjoy from MARVEL, than I do from DC (my interest in their stories usually don't go beyond Kyle Rayner/Green Latern, Nightwing/Richard Grayson, Batman and Superman/Girl Titles).

18. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Agreed it really depends on the writer or the artist. Lets take Grant Morrison I loved him on All Star Superman, but Hate him on Batman R.I.P. Or Bendis, love his Ultimate Spiderman, Hate his Avengers and all his crossovers.

19. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm more of a DC guy myself.

20. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch

QFT! Very well put.

It's amazing how significant the writers and artists are to each franchise. A mediocre superhero can become an amazing read given the proper attention to story and detail, and an A-list Hero can be reduced to painfully difficult to look at with a sub par story and artwork.

Shoot we might as well turn this into a which franchise has the better Writers and Artists discussion.