Is it worth the upgrade to Leopard?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by mineraljane, Mar 28, 2008.

1. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    I've had Leopard sitting here since it came out, and while I played around with the beta, I'm not sure I want to go through the process of a complete install.

You Mac users, have you found it useful? Particularly in light of some of the recent updates/bug fixes?

I guess I'm more concerned with software as I have a number of programs that I use frequently like Photoshop CS2, Roxio Toast, Connect 360, and Aperture among others. Have any of you had difficulties with your software after installing Leopard?

Anyhow, I'd like to hear some thoughts as I'm pondering spending the evening (yes, Friday night) installing Leopard.

2. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I get my copy in the mail in a couple days, so I'll let you know how it turns out. :) 

3. LatinJEM777

LatinJEM777 TFW's Premier Shredder

I would wait until the 10.5.3 update comes out and see if Apple fixed the wireless problem. I'm running 10.5.2 and am having NASTY problems (something to do with the DNS settings) with the wireless, it's terribly slow. But if you're primarily running a wired connection, then by all means go for it.

4. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I would like to inquire about these problems I hear about with Leopard and wireless. What is the problem exactly? Im running Leopard and Vista on the same machine and I have the wifi cut out on my in both operating systems. Seems to me like it could be a problem with the firmware written by apple or the hardware itself. Or it could be my own router :p .

5. LatinJEM777

LatinJEM777 TFW's Premier Shredder

6. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Well, I upgraded both my computer and my GF's yesterday. It was painless, as in my case, I went the easy route and just upgraded the OS instead of a clean install (what I wanted to do). Everything seems to be running much more quickly. I haven't had any wireless problems (yet), but I use assigned addresses for everything on my network.

I'm really impressed with the new Safari. It is much, much quicker and I hardly use Firefox or Camino any longer. Very cool.

Also, I'm already enjoying Time Machine. I have it set to only backup essential data right now (e-mails, music, photographs, documents) and it works really well. I'm thinking about keeping my Airport too now that they updated it to work with Time Machine and a USB drive.

7. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i got it release day. no problems, only side effect was that my laptop ran faster.

8. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I've been using Leopard for awhile now. The only major problem I had was that I didn't have a root password set on Tiger. If you don't have a root password set, do so before installation - just in case. Oh, and a couple of Dashboard widgets and a piece of the GIMP needed an upgrade. That was it.

Boot Camp is awesome. I don't use it much, but it's nice to know it's there for games. And Windows XP runs like Quicksilver on my iMac.