Is it worth paying nearly twice the price for a figure?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ComicGuy89, Apr 27, 2012.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The RiD Prime Figures are near impossible to find in stores beyond Bumblebee and Cliffjumper. I have literally searched Target everyday, Walmart a few times a week and TRU at least once a week for quite some time now. Do you think they're worth the $20+ that sellers are asking for online?

Thanks!

2. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

Depends on the figure. I severely overpaid for Arcee on Amazon, but waited a little longer to order Ratchet and got him for just under 20 bucks-- only a little bit more than TRU retail. So, timing's a factor as well.

Just don't bother trying with Vehicons, though. Just...don't. You KNOW people will try to jack up the price on those, considering the demand. Soundwave wasn't impossible to find at retail and he was shortpacked too; just be persistent.

3. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Only you know the answer to that question.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

When you factor in the gas, time, and effort it takes to futilely hunt these down in person, then paying a little extra isn't so bad.

5. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    A little isn't $20 bucks (or double) over retail though.

6. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    Well did you feel Ratchet and Arcee were worth buying online instead of retail?

The amount of Cliffjumpers and Bumblebees is starting to infuriate me. Worse yet is the huge number of DOTM toys which stores seem to simply refuse to clearance.

7. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    No, just wait a little more. Ive seen Arcee, Soundwave, Ratchet many times in my area. These are still coming out.

8. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    I guess I would not mind waiting, but I'll be leaving the country in May and not be coming back, at least not for a long time. I could probably get it overseas, but the prices will be worse than the $20+.

9. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    Unfortunately those are two of the more polarizing figures.

So who knows if you're going to love them as much as their fans do or you'll dislike them as much as the haters do.

And again, what are YOU normally comfortable paying for a deluxe?

10. Arkitect76

Arkitect76 Fanaticon

News Credits:
    As mentioned....it depends...soundwave was shortpacked and I found him at least 5 times....left him twice....ratchet i found 3 times and left hme twice.....arcee i found twice.....and i used the coupons that were active at the time.....vehicon, however, has a twist......many will be troop buillding so I would just assume it might be harder to get than soundwave, but who knows really...thats why i just went with bbts and secured at least one....if i can find another one at retail, ill be happy with the 2...

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Semantics. Also, our definitions of what constitutes "a little" may differ.

$20 + S&H online for a hard-to-find deluxe is somewhat reasonable, especially if you've exhausted your own time and resources with nothing to show for it.

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    It doesn't depend on the figure. It depends on what you think of it.

13. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

It depends on the figure. If it's one that would be easy to find (Bumblebee), then no, but if it's one that would hard to find (Vehicon), then yes. That's how I see it.

14. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Absolutely not.

15. Skywarp SCS

Skywarp SCS AKA "Pretender Skywarp"

Technically, Ratchet and Arcee were short packed too, only featuring one per case in Wv2 & 3, maybe short packed is the new "packed"?

16. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

$20 over retail, on the other hand, seems a bit much. Based on his phrasing, that seems to be what he's saying... but they're pretty easily findable for less than that.

... god, I fear Vehicon. On-screen character, one of few Decepticons, troop builder, horrendously shortpacked... I've seen Soundwave twice, and he's been in two waves. And isn't an army builder.

Not that I want more than one Vehicon, or anything. All I want is one. But it's going to be a bitch and a half.

17. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

It depends on much you want the figure and if it's worth it to you.

I personally wouldn't pay twice the price for any of the PRID figures - don't think they're worth it.

If it's a current figure, something I should be able to get at local stores, then I'm far, far less likely to pay big mark ups on it. Double the price is a pretty big deal for me and there are only certain times and for certain figures I would pay that kind of difference.

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It can be, after searching in person for weeks. I know it doesn't seem like that, but collectors really have to calculate how much they are spending in gas to make the rounds of their local Targets and TRUs multiple times a week.

Personally, I don't think any of the Deluxes released so far are worth $20 over retail. $33? No thanks. But I know I've spent well over double that just driving to all the different stores over the past couple months.

I think that if you can get the Deluxes you need online for $20 shipped or under, you are probably coming out ahead over driving around for weeks. Above that, use your judgment.

19. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    yes for second hand since it is no longer available in most regular retail outlets, you are kinda forced to pay going rates.

no for retail because with a little looking and patience (and hopefully your stores are on your daily routes so you're not wasting gas) you can find what you're looking for at much more reasonable prices.

20. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

I made a spur of the moment decision-- merely two weeks after I got them in the mail, they started showing up at retail near me. Felt like a right plonker after that one, especially considering how much I would have saved on shipping if I were less impatient.

I admit that it's hard NOT to be impatient in my position, though, between what you said about the armies of Cliffjumpers and Bumblebees clogging shelves (quite a problem for me as well), in addition to generally slow distribution in my area. I get the feeling that if I had a more steady source of income, I might be less indecisive on the matter.

EDIT: For the record, in reference to what people are saying about whether any of the figures are worth twice the price, I never paid that much-- merely a few dollars more at most.