is it worth joining the transformers collectors club?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by MegaCepticon, Sep 3, 2009.

1. MegaCepticon

MegaCepticon Well-Known Member

Just like the title says, is it worth it? and how does the free figure dealy work?

2. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say it's worth it. What you get a magazine or newsletter every other month, the free figure, and it knocks off $40 for a Botcon package.

3. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    no.
    NO
    NO
    NO!!

you are paying $40 for a "free" figure....the news letter or magazine is very subpar...waste of $$$....unless they are going to be selling a TF that you want to buy..then yes....to just waste $40 into the blackness of space...No.

4. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

If you're planning on going to Botcon, the free toy appeals to you, and you are interested in some of the Club exclusive toys then it's worthwhile. If you say "no" to more than one of those things... probably not.

5. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    like others are saying if your set on using the benefits its a good idea but if you just want a single toy you might want to give it a miss.

6. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    I didn't do it.

If your doing it for their little member price, don't.

Really like everyone else said, you are paying 40.00 for the free figure.

7. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Couldn't have said it better.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Even if its a "yes", you're likely only going to break even on the deal, especially if you don't live in the US.

9. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I definitely think it is. Yes, you are spending $40 for the free figure, but you get the zine every two months and you knock off some money for Botcon. I think it's worth it.

10. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you don't live in the USA then it's a horrible rip off and a complete waste of time.

If you're in the USA and planning to go to Botcon then it's a good deal.

11. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, just to provide the counterpoint...

The $40 provides you with an exclusive basic (or in last year's case, a deluxe) toy, accompanied by corresponding fiction in comic and profile form. In regard to the club magazine, yes, there is some useless filler, but I can always find at least SOMETHING of interest in there. The Botcon discount speaks for itself, but I'd agree that the Master Collector fishwrapper is utterly useless in every way. I open it long enough to make sure there's not a club mag in there, and into the recycling bin it goes.

Aside from FP's determination to remain firmly rooted in the 90's (MC magazine, faxing registrations, weak forums and club store functionality), I still find a lot to like. Your mileage may vary, as the saying goes.

12. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    As a moderator for the club, I say yes. ;-) As a member in general though... If you're going to Botcon, it's silly to not join. Going to Botcon alone makes it worth joining because in the end, you save $10 off your Botcon cost ($50 discount, less $40 that you spend joining the club), you get the "incentive" figure, and every other month you get, what I consider to be, an enjoyable and well done Club Magazine. If you're not going to Botcon, it really comes down to: Do you like the Magazine, the Incentive figure, and is the club producing exclusives that year which appeal to you? I personally can not WAIT for the Exclusive Punch/Counterpunch.

13. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

It's probably mostly dependant on how many of the exclusive toys you want. If there's more than one of them that you want, then the discount on those alone will make it worthwhile. Then you really are getting a free toy.

I think the OP does live in the States. I agree that outside the US, it's a lot more difficult to justify the $89.

14. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

It's worth it if you go to Botcon. If you don't it's not. Pretty straightforward.

Oh yeah and that only applies if you're in the US. If you live in another country it's not worth it regardless of whether you go to Botcon or not.

15. Scaleface

Scaleface TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd say if you plan on buying more than one club exclusive in the course of a year, it's cheaper to be a member than not.

Also, if you are the sorta person who loves the exclusive fic stories and the couple of exclusive bios they put in the member section of the web site, and $40 isn't a lot of money to you, it might be nice, but sadly those are very few and far between these days.

If you don't care about the club exclusive fic, have another source for it, or only buy one or less exclusive figures a year, then skip it.

I wouldn't advocate anything shady like splitting a membership, but if you have a friend with a membership, you might ask him to let you look at a mag or two before you pay big bucks for it. Some people love it, others find it incredibly thin.

16. MegaCepticon

MegaCepticon Well-Known Member

Wow I appreciate all the feedback and insights. I definitely have some thinking to do. I did not realize that you get a discount for botcon.

17. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Yep, you do.

I've been thinking of joining the Transformers Collectors Club myself.

18. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

It's good reading material for the pooper. There's some stuff to get you excited so you wont have to push.
    With the cc mag, you'll never get hemoroids from straining.

I'd say go for it, it's not like you've wasted $40 on toy crap before lol, atleast this guarantees a little bang for your buck.
    The bonus is getting excited over the occasional CC news. You'll feel left out the next time they have an announcement and you're not involved.
    So yeah, in the long run, it's worth it

19. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Until they lower the international membership fee or justify why it's so much there's no way I'd even consider joining.

20. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'll just re-iterate what everyone else has said. It is worth it if you plan on doing anything else with the club, especially anything BotCon related.