Is it worth it to file an insurance claim through the Post Office?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Paladine, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

I ordered a TFC Blaster Reissue from eBay and it arrived quite damaged. I received a pickup notice on Tuesday, went to the Post Office and they couldn't find it. That's right; they left me a pickup notice but failed to find it. So I came back the following day, same thing. Couldn't find it. Then on Friday they drop another pickup notice and they actually have the package this time. The package showed signs of water damage and had a huge dent in it. My poor blaster's box has a huge dent in it.

The package was insured, but I'm wondering if anybody has had a similar shipping experience and went through the insurance process? Do they provide the price I quote them, say $80? I have a feeling it's going to be hassle.

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'd go for it... You -did- pay for insurance, and the item arrived damaged (their fault) so if anything you get some of your money back...

3. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

The toy is in perfect shape, however the box is quite crushed. Technically the only loss is resaleability. I wonder if they classify that as a valid proof of loss.

4. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    But you did get the item in a different condition than what you paid for...

5. killahbuny

killahbuny Well-Known Member

I'd go for it you've got nothing to lose and after all you did pay for insurance.

6. Rabbit

Rabbit Weary

The firstr rule of claims is that you have to prove a loss equal to the value you're claiming. If the item in the box is intact and undamaged that may be difficult. They may ask you to establish that the damage to the box somehow dimishes the overall value of the thing. Since, for the most part packaging is there to protect the item inside, which in this case it appears to have done, you may face a struggle.

However, the value may be a drop in the busket by their standards and maybe it's be easier for them just to pay up.

7. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Go for it! As others have said, it arrived not in the same condition you ordered it.