Is it worth ditching my PS2 for the PS3?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Black Oracle, Mar 11, 2010.

1. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

LIST WARZ!

Oh wait, no, don't list warz :( 

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope, been there from the start. You always had the option of selecting a show, and clicking the Triangle and copying that to a USB drive. I have an old scooby doo episode and Aliens in my PC that I bought back when PSN video opened. Sony just sux at instructing people on the many features they have.

What happened now is that there is a literal "Backup" button, whereas before you would just manually copy it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  3. Triple Melter

Triple Melter EGG GANG™

oic

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Smasher
    Recall
    Smang
    TT
    Flamepanther (who is MIA again)
    Primal
    Trailbreaker
    Prowl

And these are only the exclusives.

5. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Enquiring at my local game store the other day, i wouldn't get much for trading in my PS2. Even with my old PS2 games, i don't expect that the money from trading in would cover much of the cost of a PS3. But i don't expect that i'd be playing my old PS2 games again in future. And i'd prefer not to clog up space in my home with too many consoles (i have a Wii as well).

6. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    I knew about making the backup to an external device (which worked for shit, BTW - I lost everything). I haven't downloaded anything in some time, so is the backup part of the PS3 OS or is it something in the store?

7. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    My friend took his PS2 and about 60 games to Gamestop. Traded all of it in and got enough to buy an XBox 360 and five games. That reminds me, don't forget about the $60 a game price tag for new releases. It sucks.

8. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I live in the UK, btw. So maybe the trade-in prices for a PS2 here might be less than over there in the States?

9. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I say no. It never hurts to have another system that you could hook-up in another room.

My set-up have the 3 new generation system on the 42 inch big scene, and the old PS2 and Xbox on my bedroom tv. For added measure, I use to have my Genesis and NES on the mini-tv in the kitchen, but removed them when the tv broke.

Basically, you can never have too many systems.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just PS3 OS. I went to my Aliens movie pressed triangle, and went to copy to USB. On my USB a PS3 folder was made. Inside it wasn't named Aliens or anything like that. It was just a strange file name, but when I would bring the USB back, and press triangle on it, I could see my Aliens movie on there, copy it back, etc etc.

I've never fully backed up my stuff to a drive, I just occasionally copy important files to a USB and move them to my PC, like game saves and South Park episodes that I buy.

11. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes it is

12. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Never gargle the rum. TFW2005 Supporter

May as well keep the PS2 if you ever fancy playing any of the old games again.
    If you're in to movies at all then get a PS3 as a blu-ray player, you can also use it as a freeview-harddisk recorder doodad and there's a Hd tuner for freesat out for it was well I think, so of you do get one you're not just limited to playing on it!

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I still had a PS2, I wouldn't trade it in. It's pure and unaffected by the internet. It's the last golden age system you may ever have, kid.

14. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Let's toss those rose colored glasses right off to the trash right now.

All of the beloved games from the SNES area were all at $60-80.

That was nearly 20 years ago.

20 Years ago and for a price that is LESS than what Street Fighter 2 Turbo cost at the time, we get amazing games like God of War, Final Fantasy, Super Street Fighter 4, et al.

Complaints about the cost of games, considering what we get and considering inflation are entirely unwarrented.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They way I see it is: tiling repeated grass JPGs to make a VAST landscape was acceptable back then. Now, every environment has to be unique. Players will pick out repeated geometry in an environment. Developers and artists are tasked with not only creating huge worlds, not only making every stone look unique, but in some games, making it 360degree accessible (like Fallout). 60 bucks is a dime, if you think about some of the work that goes into this shit.

16. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

remember, it's also a blu-ray player. And you can play with friends (me!) and online with better games.
    And if you get the original version you can still play PS2 games, with better graphics.

17. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    I agree, to a point.

I know I'll catch hell for saying this but graphics and playability have been sacrificed, in some cases, for game length and originality. There are a lot of button mashers on PS3 and games like Darksiders, GoW, and Heavenly Sword are, arguably, interchangable with the styles of fighting, game controls, and weapons. This isn't for all games, mind you, but a game that can be beat in 6-8 hours makes $60 hard to swallow. At the same time, games that go on seemingly forever like Final Fantasy or Dynasty Warrirors are certainly worth the price. Having blu-ray capability, you would think designers could create a visually stunning game that lasts more than a weekend before its beat.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  18. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

"Im'ma let y'all finish, but the Sony PS2 is one of the greatest video game consoles of ALL TIME."

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Must... resist... urge... to... nerd... rage... mustresisturgetoneraaaaaaaage!

20. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    C'mon, out with it. Rage on, we all need to sometimes.