Is it worth ditching my PS2 for the PS3?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Black Oracle, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I've been thinking of trading in my PS2 at my local game store and buying a new PS3 console recently. Is it worth it? It seems all the new games these days are made for PS3 or Xbox.

I'm not a frequent gamer, but every now and then a good game comes out and i like to try it out.

Since PS2 seems to be becoming outdated now, is it time i update to a PS3? I'd like to hear the thoughts of others.

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    if youre not a frequent gamer, then Id stick with the PS2; you dont want a $400 paperweight. However, if you think you'll get some PS3 exclusive games, bluray movies and might do online playing, then get it. Remember that you cant get backwards compatible anymore.

3. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Without the backwards compatability, I would still hang on to the PS2 but still pick up the PS3. As a general home entertainment device, you get: a BR/DVD player, a fairly good sized HD to store all sorts of goodies on (I have tons of videos stored myself), a decent gaming machine... all in one pretty package. However, if you like playing some of the older PS2 games a PS3 alone will not do you any good.

Bottom line... what do you want out of your gaming console?

4. Black Oracle

News Credits:
    "backwards compatible"? You mean PS2 games wouldn't work on a PS3 console?

I've wondered about the blu-ray capabilities of the PS3 as well. Would your TV be able to play blu-ray then as soon as you get a PS3? Or is there some other kind of setup that might be required. Forgive me, i'm not the most knowledgeable in these new entertainment technologies.

I'd buy a PS3 mainly so that i could play some of the newer games.

5. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

If you don't have a bluray player and have a Hi-Def TV I would get one. Even as an infrequent gamer when a game does come out you want to play its not going to be on the PS2 heh. FFXIII just came out, GoW III is almost out and if you want it might be able to get a bundle.

6. Black Oracle

News Credits:
    Yes, i've had my eye on FFXIII actually. And i'd be eager to try out WfC when it's released later this year.

7. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I say, keep your PS2 AND get a PS3.

That's all you'd ever need. :D 

8. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    only if you don't want to play games:tongue: 

9. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    In a nutshell, yeah :D 

10. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I would keep the PS2. I have also a PS2 and a PSX and like to have a PS3. But as the PS3 has no backwards-compatibility, I will have to keep all three (as some PSX games are not 100% compatible with the PS2 as well...).

Sad that a PS3 is still so expensive. It is worth it because of the hardware in it, but anyway... it is expensive *g*

11. -Superion-

-Superion- Well-Known Member

Keep your PS2, but get a PS3 anyway; at $300, it's a great deal with it can play Blu-ray and it is getting many great games right now, such as God of War 3. Damn, I spoke as if I own a PS3 lol. :eek: 

12. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

As others suggested, as long as your PS2 still works, you should keep it and just pick up a PS3 on it's own. There are some really incredible exclusive games out on the PS3 right now, and it gets all the multiplatform games as well.

The PS3's exclusive library is very varied and ever growing, so my best advice is to try and find at least 3 exclusive titles you think you might enjoy before grabbing the PS3. Because if you can't find at least 3 games to play on it, it probably won't be worth the purchase.

13. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Besides blu-ray, the PS3 also has an upgrade chip to make normal DVDs look better. With the cost of blu-ray movies coming down, I'm starting to buy a few more, but I still go with standard DVD unless the movie is a special effects bonanza (ie: ROTF, Star Trek, Iron Man, etc.)

As far as games, you can still get a backwards compatible one online - but they cost and arm and a leg since they were limited in release. Here's the ones that are compatible, by model (the letters and numbers are the end of the serial number, which can be seen on the box sticker or the back of a system - so if you decide to try and buy one, get a closeup picture of the serial number to verify):

80GB CECHE01 (came as part of a Metal Gear Solid pack)
    60GB CECHA01
    20GB CECHB01

More info at http://thirdworldgeek.com/is-your-ps3-backward-compatible/

The only downfall (IMO) is that many of the PS3 games are single player, unless you play online. And, in that regards, if you have to run wires all over the house to get Internet to the PS3 then you may want to invest in a wireless router. While not exactly neccessary to be online with the PS3, there are game and console updates that need to be installed and wireless is a big help. They also release PS3-only games and add-ons to games that are really good. The PS3 movie store is really picking up too. The only downfall of downloading is that once you get rid of that sytem or if it breaks, you've lost it all.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  14. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

Ps3 has built in wi-fi with the exception of the 20GB which is a discontinued SKU

15. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Next joke like this I see in any PS3 thread is getting an infraction.

ZOMG down comes the foot.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope, there is a backup option for movies and TV shows that you buy, and games and other things purchased on PSN are remembered and redownloadable for up to 5 Activated PS3s.

17. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    That's what I was saying, invest in a wireless router. Otherwise you'll have a mess of cable running everywhere.

Well that's new, then. I bought a PS3 two years ago and downloaded some shows. It broke and I lost all of it. Good to know the stuff I've bought recently isn't lost.

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I would only trade in the PS2 under two conditions.
    1. You're tired of the PS2 and your entire library of games; that is you don't care to ever play them again.
    2. The trade in value of the PS2 and your game library covers a significant portion of a PS3 purchase.

Elsewise I would hold onto the PS2, but under any circumstances I would buy a PS3.

19. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Yeah, I don't get those posts. There are a lot of great PS3 exclusives out there, and they get all the great multiplatform games as well.

To the OP, yes. Get a PS3. But don't throw away your PS2 though.

20. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Not to mention, they say that the BluRay on the PS3 is one of the best in the markets. I still have my PS, and my PS2, I do pop in oldschool games on occasion in those to enjoy.

I would recommend keeping it. PS3 is at $300 right now, which in all honesty isn't a bad price. I paid $500 a few years ago.