Is it true you get discounts if the boxes are messed up?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by PropaneProphet, Dec 23, 2010.

1. PropaneProphet

PropaneProphet Well-Known Member

I saw Starscream Leader class today at Target, didn't think getting him since it looked like a 8 year old sat on him. Figure looks fine, but the box...

I recall after leaving the store that sometimes a discount is offered, so if it is, how do I claim one?

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

First I'd have heard of it. If it's true this could open the flood gates as I regularly see smashed up boxes out on shelves, mostly in Supermarkets.

3. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Yeah, it is true. You have to ask for it though because they're not going to automatically give it to you.

It's not much, but it's something. That discount got me $2 off a ROTF Mixmaster.

4. daelite20

daelite20 autobots

News Credits:
    U can get a discount but is really minimal, like 5% off. and you had to ask for the discount when you purchased. You can't go back to the store and ask for a discount. Otherwise, they would think you did damage to the box.

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Don't think so. I remember that my Universe Inferno's box, upon seeing at retail, was not only beat up, but also:

-clearly being held together by Scotch tape, NOT the usual factory stuff
    -clearly a poorly repackaged return (only the missile was tied into the tray, Inferno himself and the instructions were bouncing all over the place, the panel assembly that goes on the right sholder not being in its socket)
    -and clearly something I've never seen in that poor of a condition at the store he was in.

And I did not get a discount of of the full $21 price. For the record, the box may have been crap, but the figure itself was pristine save for the panel assembly (which popped right back on) and a slight problem with the face's paint (but you can't tell it didn't cure right unless you're right next to it and looking at it dead-on).

I myself have heard stories about getting products for less if damaged, but I think that only applies to things like doors and things that will have less value if the product itself is moderately damaged. Since only the box is damaged with TF's most of the time, not the actual toy, I highly doubt you could get away with a discount.

6. megatronatlas

megatronatlas Well-Known Member

Target will give you a couple bucks off, what I would recommend is finding a associate that works in toys, show them the box, then have that associate walk with you to the register to say you found the box that way. But thats my opinion

7. megatronatlas

megatronatlas Well-Known Member

this is correct at times as well, a manager could also help with the "possible discount"

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I know for a fact that Walmart and TRU will offer a modest discount (5-10%) for toys with damaged packaging (or the toy itself being damaged). But it's one of those things that you have to ask for at the customer service desk, otherwise you won't get it.

Last year at TRU, my girlfriend and I were Christmas shopping for her daughter and we came across this tea set in damaged packaging. I took it to the service desk and asked an employee if they gave discounts for items in such a condition and they said that there's a 10% discount.

Earlier this year when MP Skywarp dropped at Walmart, there was one that sat on the shelf for months because the toy itself was missing an arm among other things. They offered to reduce the price, but it wasn't by much.

9. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    First I've heard of a packaging discount at retail.

Cue image of thousands of 32yr old TFW'ers crushing robit boxes in aisles now - THAR BE DISCOUNTS IN THE HEELS'A THESE BOOTS!

;) 

10. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

It's something you have to ask for, it doesn't ring up automatically.

11. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Really? Huh. Ah, well, not like I would have saved much, even with the box as beat up as it was. Plus, it was the only Uni. Inferno I've ever seen at retail, so for such an awesome toy the full price seems reasonable enough.

I'll have to keep this in mind, though. Might come in handy someday.

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I'm a little surprised that some of you never knew this. You'd be surprised with how much can result from a simple inquiry.

13. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

If a Walmart employee thinks an ROTF Soundwave looks like 3 tomatoes, I don't think they would be able to identify whether or not a box is damaged.

14. TFcollecterguy

TFcollecterguy Well-Known Member

I've never heard of this! This is great! I find damaged boxes with figs in great condition all the time! a couple bucks off would be great for me.

15. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    I remember seeing that picture, oddly enough. I do most of my TF shopping at Target, however, and usually there's people there who look like they can tell if something is damaged in some way. Not absolutely trustworthy, though, since I'm still clueless as to how a crappily repackaged and returned Uni. Inferno got put back on the shelf when at NO other time had I seen something like that at the store in question. And I've been going there since the Armada days.

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    in my experience if a store is going to discount for a damaged package they will put it on the Item in question. At least thats how the Wal-mart where i live does it.

17. PropaneProphet

PropaneProphet Well-Known Member

I will feel horrible if people intentionally do this by this topic being created.

18. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

Target will do a 10% discount. i know this from when i worked there. The few cases i saw this it was pretty significant damage to the packaging. A few dings or a bent card will not get you a discount.

19. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good to know.

20. Blackdrop

Blackdrop Well-Known Member

As a Target cashier I can tell you that while we do have the 10% discount, we usually only apply it to items which could be seriously damaged or missing parts. So if like someone opened the box incorrectly to look at the product or if looks like it had been the through a trash compacter we'd give it to you. Normal shelf wear (IE bends in the cardboards or dents in a bubble) will NOT get you the discount.