Is it true that the WII is no more powerful then the gamecube?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by .SentinelPrime Is Dead., Mar 13, 2007.

1. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

indeed, im still in shock having just learnt the gc was more powerful than the xbox.

2. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

"Then why the hell did you ask me what system I wanted it for?"

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

"Because I could tell from your demeanour that you were an imbecile, good day, sir."

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    So True.

I remember the very first demo's hyping PS2's power took forever for a game to actually produce the quality it said it could produce.

5. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Hey guys, I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything like that, I am so totally ignorant to video games its not even a joke. I just got the original x box 4 months ago. I swear. I am only asking a question to something I heard the other day. I figured a lot of you guys would know. I am truly sorry if I've offended anyone with my ignorance.

6. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    That's the way the retail biz works. Like how at TRU the cashiers are required to ask if you need batteries, even if the item you're buying has ZERO need for or connection to batteries (like one time I just bought a drink, and the cashier still asked me if I needed batteries). Or how at many restaurants the waiter staff push daily specials and desserts because those things are mandated by mgmt. And then you have commission-based sales like jewelry, high-end apparel, and cars where the salespeople will hardsell you every opportunity they get because that's how they earn a living.

GameStop pushing preorders and subscriptions is how they drive future sales--both help to ensure that stores get repeat customers, and that's how they are able to stay competitive with the retail giants. I'm having to "unlearn what I have learned" working at other retailers where they pushed upsells and overall sales volume. GameStop is all about securing repeat customers, and sales appears to drive itself as a result.

For myself, I hate paying full price for games and DVDs (something that was very motivating for me getting a job with GameStop because of the discounts and other perks), and thus avoid buying at WMT, Target, Circuit City (which I loathe for several bad customer service experiences there), and Best Buy. Most WMTs are a mess to shop at in Electronics anyway, and it's difficult to find an employee when you need one. This past weekend, it took me 10 minutes just to find an associate who could make me a duplicate key.

GameStop off-topic discussion aside (I'm done with it if you guys are), my personal observation of the Wii is that there far too many kids games, and not enough titles for adults. Also, not enough games released to date appear to really take full advantage of the innovative controls. It's like Nintendo is just cranking out reformatted GC titles just to have new product available.

It's a fad right now--a novelty that people simply want to experience. If Nintendo doesn't offer more quality titles for non-kiddie gamers and fast...even with online play on the horizon, the system may be doomed for early wii-tirement. (pun intended)

Ignorance isn't offensive. A little annoying, maybe. But all you did was ask a legit question--nothing wrong with that. I was curious to know myself what the difference was between the two systems. And like they say, the only genuinely stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    First off, you said the GC was more powerful than the Xbox (I didnt quote that, oops). thats not true.

Now you're saying the 360 is more powerful than the PS3. thats not true. and the current sales numbers dont agree with your ranking either. it's 360, Wii, PS3. in that order.

8. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

It's not you. It's the idiot employee.

Rokkit is right that there are plenty of idiots out there, as anyone who's worked retail can tell you, and they have to work someplace. As the great George Carlin once said - Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half the people, are even dumber than that (to which some one once replied "how can that be?").

However, if you are putting an employee in a position that requires him to sell expensive merchandise, it is not unreasonable to expect him to know basic information. We're not talking about how many polygons the system can push, or what sort of effects it can do. We're talking about the relative strength of the console, when compared to another produced nearly 6 years ago. If I were the manager, I'd rip that kid a new porthole.

9. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This 'discussion' has nothing to do with you or your self proposed ignorance. It's the posters in this forum that cannot stand Gamestop or it's employees and anyone who makes a defaming comment (true or otherwise) about their beloved console 'X'. It's just the nature of the beast. BTW, I finally bought a Wii last week after months of being unable to find one. I don't know the hardware specs or if they mean anything, but I can tell you that it is one hell of a fun console. I've had the best time playing games on the Wii since I had the Powerpad for the NES. Maybe it's not much more powerful than the GC, so what. It's fun. And isn't that why we play games?

10. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

03Mach1, take your crazy talk of "fun" elswhere, it is most definitely not welcome here.

11. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cheeky. Very cheeky.
    :lol 

12. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

I still want a Wii, I just haven't found one yet.

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Its easy, if you gotta go, then you gotta go, just find a quiet corner and do your wii.

As to GC/Xbox specs... I'm pretty sure the Xbox was more powerful than the GC...

And according to sales figures over the last few months of last year, the 360 outsold the Wii in the US. But I think a big factor in that is because Nintendo couldn't keep up with demand.

I can dig out the figures if anyones really interested, its in one of the 360 mags I picked up.

14. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    It did up until January when the Wii took the lead in monthly sales, although February sales figures have not been released to my knowledge. The last figures I saw had the Wii at 435,000 and the 360 at 294,000 . The PS3 came in at 244,000 . These figures are from an IGN article found here.

15. Death333

Death333 aliases: Dx3, Dr. Whiffington, Hellscr333m

News Credits:
    I am sorry you're offended but that's my stance on that store and it's employees based on my experiences as buyer. I gave one reference but in all the times I have tried to shop there I have never walked away with the knowledge or product I was seeking and I've tried many stores, many employees and multiple times. But if I go to another game store I almost always walk away with what I was looking for. Make of that what you will.

I don't expect them to know everything at that store or that chain of stores but they don't seem to know much of anything at all. I have worked in retail and at any given employer I have put my all into finding out about the products I sell, doing the best I can to make more sales and provide information.

If they don't like thier wage they can quite and get a higher paying job...it's that simple and that's all I'm going to say on that.

....and I didn't have the internet at the time. I had to look it up at a friends house. Otherwise, I would've looked it up myself as opposed to waisting the gas money to drive to that store.

16. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

Oh, I get it! You meant to urinate. Funny guy here folks.

17. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yes, I know. Did you see how I took the name Wii, and related it to urination? That is why I am a master of humour. Because I'm sure no one has ever made that joke before.

18. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nintendo already SAID this! This is not news... and yet all the power in the world meas absolutely dick unless you do something with it...

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Nintendo never said that. Why? because it's not true.

20. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

though not next generation graphics compare to the PS3 or 360..you could say it has next generation controls (which if put that way, the PS3 and 360 are not next generation)