Is it true that the WII is no more powerful then the gamecube?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by .SentinelPrime Is Dead., Mar 13, 2007.

1. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I went to my local game-stop the other day, and the guy behind the counter was talking to another patron and was saying something about how the Wii is a weak system, that the game cube was just as powerful. so yeah, thats my question. is the Wii a more powerful system then the game cube, or are they about the same?

2. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    the Wii is more powerful than the Cube.

3. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wii is significantly more powerful.

I think...

4. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

The Wii is about 2 times as powerful as a GC.

5. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Power really doesn't matter anyway...most systems have potential the developers never come CLOSE to almost until it's time to abandon it for the newest "Next gen" system

6. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I heard that as well, that it is no more powerful then the gamecube and isn't really a "next Gen" syster.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Gamestop employees rarely know anything. working at gamestop gives them a false sense of superiority that they believe makes them an authority on all things video games. They typically arent informed about anything, and even though they work at gamestop, they arent required to know anything about games.

My local gamestop guys ask people who are looking for Halo 2 what system they want it for, for example.

It is more powerful than any of the last generation system, in case people are actually curious.

as for it not being "next gen", thats not determined by hardware, only by when it comes out. a random company could release an 8-bit floppy disc-based system next year, and that would be next gen.

8. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    I don't have a Wii but is the graphics better than a GC?

9. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

I stopped reading at Gamestop.

People that work there tend to annoy me.

...and the Wii's full potential has NOT been seen.

10. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    IMO it's a fairly useless thing,"power" in a system, these days. It's more about the catalougue of games. You can have the most powerful system on the market and all that power means nothing if there are no games to drive the system.

11. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I agree that Gamestop employees are morons but honestly, I don't think the wii is anywhere near as powerful as a PS3 or Xbox2. I'd say it's closer to the ps2 then it is the ps3.

Game play is fantastic though.

12. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Power is nothing; fun is everything.....

*Goes to play Atari 2600*

13. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    Now that I think about it....Gamestop employees are pretty useless. I went in there inquiring into another gam that the makers of Psychonaughts did and no one there had any idea.....I went home and found it on line in less than five minutes.

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    It won't be for a long time either. Look at the GC; just when we thought we'd seen everything, RE4 came out and blew a lot of us away. As long as game makers keep pushing the envelope, it's all good.

15. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Wii is a fair bit more powerful than the Gamecube. 2 to 3 times more powerful in terms of raw numbers I believe. And remember that Gamecube did a whole lot with not too much hardware. Also, I believe the current Wii developers (Nintendo included, although they are improving fast(MP3, Super Mario Galaxy)) are just being lazy with the hardware.

I see no reason why a high-average looking game is not looking at least as graphically as good as Rogue Squadron III given how much more power can be squeezed out of the system, and that early Wii dev kits were basically GameCube dev kits with Wii remotes. The developers are lazy.

Interview with Factor 5 president:
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/762/762984p1.html

16. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

And here I thought it was games that mattered, not a console's specs! Silly me!

17. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    If I didn't know any better I would say this was a bad attempt at trying to start a flame war.

Anyone with any interest in this new generation knows that the Wii is the least "powerful" of the three, but that it is more "powerful" than the Gamecube.

Why do I put powerful in quotes? Because it is a silly argument. What is your definition of power? MHz? You're rarely comparing apples to apples in this case as many times these consoles use different types of processors specifically designed for the system. Or they use more than one processor to handle a specific task.

If you really want to get into the pissing match of who has the most power, then don't bother buying a console, a PC will beat it every time. But then you'll be missing out on all these great games! Which is what it is all about, now isn't it?

18. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I would say it is 2 to 3 times more powerful than the Gamecube. Taking a look at the current lineup is deceiving. Most current games for the Wii are either Gamecube ports or PS2 ports. There are a few made especially for Wii but they look only slightly better than Gamecube games, maybe some original X-Box games also. I expect games will come out soon that look a little better than the original X-Box but most seem ready to jump on board with PS2 ports, like Manhunter 2, or using graphics that are around Gamecube level. Hopefully this will change.

Put up against the X-Box 360 and PS3 the Wii will look very dated graphically. If you look at them next to the last gen systems in time it will look better than there best looking games assuming that the developers take the time to work on the graphics. Hopefully we will see a lot better looking games soon.

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Computing power, graphic power, it means nothing in the game industry. the absolute weakest system was the big winner last gen (PS2), and the weakest handheld (the DS) is dominating the PSP.

Just like currently the Wii is doing much better than the PS3, and gaining ground on the 360 very quickly.

trying to judge a system just on it's percieved "power" is pretty dumb.

graphics don't mean shit. anyone else ever play Vib Ribbon?

20. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

These are also the same morons who said the GameCube was less powerful than the PS2. It was marginally less powerful than the XBox, and both had a good margin over the PS2. Unfotunately, lack of commitment by developers often resulted in GCN getting the worst looking ports, but that had nothing to do with the system itself.

The Wii is definately more powerful than the Cube. I've heard anywhere from 2-5 times as much, for whatever that's worth.