Is it time?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jessecuster, Feb 27, 2012.

?

Should I stay or should I go?

1. Please stay, its a great hobby, you will get over this.

19 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. Go away, who needs haters?

11 vote(s)
    14.1%
  3. I don't care what you do, its your life.

48 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. jessecuster

jessecuster One Goal!

News Credits:
    In four short days all of the following has happened:

1. 2 of my credit cards were hacked due to Fun Pub, so to be proactive I cancelled my debit card, too. I know I used it for Botcon registration. This also reminds me of the TFSource fiasco less than a year ago, where one of my cards were hacked, also.

2. Some local people got store employees to pull toys out of the back, before they even have a chance of being on shelves. Then people question why there are no toys on shelves at the stores, when people have already bought them.

3. I lost an auction for a mini grail by 1 cent.

4. I received Prime Soundwave in the mail, and after opening and transforming it, I am severely disappointed, after being excited beforehand.

So now I am seriously considering abandoning the hobby, I alternate between feelings of anger and betrayal and am looking for any reason to stay with it.

What say you, talk me into staying or tell me to go away?

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Honestly, all 3 of your poll options have merit, so I'm gonna go with all of the above. In other words, it's a great hobby that I'd like to see you continue enjoying, but it's also not something that's worth getting worked up over if it's not bringing you said enjoyment. Ultimately it's your decision, so I'd just wanna look at whether or not its just a couple of things that're causing you to question your faith, or whether or not its your faith that's causing you to question certain things further than you need to.

... in either case, vote for Megatron.

3. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Heh, I'm beginning to feel the same way. Collecting is supposed to be fun but lately it's just been irritating.

4. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I say quit and if you have g1 figures let me know when you sell them :D 

5. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1) Getting your credit card hacked can happen anywhere but if things like that are starting to make you paranoid then considering going away from the high end stuff.
    2) Don't sweat the stuff anal guys are getting. The figures'll be flooding the store shelves soon enough.
    3) As far as the auction, think of it this way, you lost by 1 cent but for all you know the other guy could have been willing to pay a hundred more.
    4) You expected too much from Soundwave.

You don't have to go but switch to being a casual fan. You wouldn't be buying online so you don't have to worry about your credit card or ebay. You wouldn't be following the news religiously so wouldn't know that hardcore fans getting the items and you'll be pleasantly surprised when you find a soundwave or vehicon months from now and with no expectations you won't be disappointed in the figure.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Not to sound insensitive, but I wonder if anybody who wants to leave the fandom will ever just do so quietly.

In fact everytime I see one of these threads I reflexively want to select the "get lost" option. Why do you need the assistance of other fans online to help you decide if you should stop? It's your call man, just do whatever. Maybe you could make a compromise and just not buy TFs for a while and collect something else, I dunno. That's what I do when I fall out of Transformers. Asking other fans, to me, seems like you're of either of two minds: either you really want to stay, and you just want other satisfied fans to keep it worthwhile, or you want to leave and are just looking for someone else who's down in the dumps lately. This really shouldn't be a choice other people make for you. Most of those isues you listed are just the facts of life, not unique to this hobby. Injustice, bad luck and dissapointment are everywhere.

7. jessecuster

jessecuster One Goal!

News Credits:
    But what about when you have already paid money and made arrangements to go to Botcon?

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    If you want to go, go. If you don't call and ask for a refund.

9. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Then go to Botcon.

Otherwise, I completely and wholeheartedly agree with Split Lip's posts.

10. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    I personally would not quit due to some setbacks. Here are a few questions to ask yourself:

1) Do the toys you already have bring you any happiness still? Do you still enjoy displaying, transforming, playing and/or posing them?

2) Are there new toys coming out that you still want? Are there older toys that you still want?

If you answered yes to either of these, I wouldn't give up. Maybe it's time to stop collecting for a bit and enjoy what you have. Or maybe time to put TFs on the backburner for a bit and enjoy some other toys or hobbies.

In the end, don't let a string of bad events make you stop collecting altogether forever. Take a short break if you need to, but there's no reason to give up completely unless the toys bring you no satisfaction at all any more.

11. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah stop being a puss and do what you gotta do. The transformers will survive and life will go on. Why do you need approval for something like this?

12. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So funny. A paragrah about "just go" but why'd you feel the need to qualify it with "not to sound insensitive?". You know you could just NOT click on one of these threads. Especially, when it's usually obvious from the title what it's about. This stuff isn't called plastic crack for giggles and grins. Oftentimes people know it's time to call it quits but it isn't that easy to just walk away. You've got to ease them on their way with a nice nicotine patch.

EDIT:
    @ SPLIT LIP. I take that back. Your rough cold turkey approach might be better.
    @jessecutter. It's probably time you called it quits. I'm not too impressed about this year's Botcon toys but I'm going for the fun and comaraderie, not just the toys. If it's just about the toys to you then maybe you should cut your losses. If you've already paid for Botcon then go and try to have fun as a last hurrah but sell off your toys RIGHT AWAY (i.e. Thursday night) to cover the trip cost.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  13. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Goodbye, take care!

14. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you want to go then go, more toys for the rest of us.

15. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    I'd say go with a fourth option - simply take a break from the hobby. Stay away from fan sites and get into something else for a while. I did this myself recently, and it worked wonders!

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

We all hit rough spots in collecting.

I lose something like 9 out of 10 e-Bay auctions but one day whatever I'm looking for will come up again. Local scalpers tend to clear out Ross so I never find the hard to find figures in the stores. I've liked lines like Robot Heroes only to see it get the ax, but hey no line lasts forever. I don't attend Bot Con but I'm still happy with my little collection of stuff.

As a collector sometimes you just have to re-evaluate your collecting. Perhaps you'd be happier just scaling back some instead of got to have it all and got to have it right now.

17. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    I have missed out on plenty of sales/auctions because I didn't act fast enough. I get bummed, but it isn't the end of the world. I keep hunting until I get it. Just a week or so ago I saw someone selling a G2 Orange Devastator complete. I hesitated and someone else beat me to it. Am I ticked? Yes. Did I get bummed about it? Yes. But that doesn't mean I will throw my hands in the air and quit over it. I have it highlighted in my wants thread here and I search on ebay every-so-often and if it comes up again, I'll be happy.

My card also got hit after ordering with FunFub. Sure I was really pissed since my card was never taken before. That was the worst of it. I was not held responsible for the charges and a new credit card was sent to me UPS overnight by my card company. All fixed.

As for your disappointment with the new toys, I can't really sympathize because I don't collect the current stuff. But if you don't like what you got, then post it in the for sale thread and recoup some of the money you spent and then move on.

It's your decision whether to keep collecting. While I do reflexively want to say "who cares?" to you, because I also think threads like this are silly and is a symptom of attention seeking behavior, I will say that it comes down to one simple thing. If the anxiety or disappointment heavily outweighs your enjoyment of the hobby, then you have your answer. But, if you have a passion for Transformers like the majority of fans here do, and really do not want to quit, then find a different way to enjoy your hobby. Maybe collect a different series? For example, I do not have interest in Animated or Prime figures, but I have always wanted to complete my G2 collection.

Find your focus. Simple as that.

18. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I voted go away, which is harsher than my true reply.

If its not fun, expensive and unrewarding.... find something that does make you happy!

Wishing you lots of happiness!

19. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    1. 2 of my credit cards were hacked due to Fun Pub, so to be proactive I cancelled my debit card, too. I know I used it for Botcon registration. This also reminds me of the TFSource fiasco less than a year ago, where one of my cards were hacked, also.

My advice here would be to keep an eye on ALL of your credit cards, since eventually this type of crap will end up happening to them all at some point. Maybe just avoid a Transformers Credit Card in the future, to avoid the stress/hassle of a potential hack/scam.

2. Some local people got store employees to pull toys out of the back, before they even have a chance of being on shelves. Then people question why there are no toys on shelves at the stores, when people have already bought them.

One would think that if the toys were sold early...then the computer would order more of them. If you're talking about Target, at least they used to be this way. Who knows now. If you're looking for Prime RID figures, have you tried TRU yet? Pretty soon Wal-Mart should have them also.

3. I lost an auction for a mini grail by 1 cent.

Do you lose many auctions by this much? If this is your first, then I wouldn't be so upset. I used to lose MANY auctions on Ebay back in the day by a dollar or less. Probably why I haven't been on that site in years. lol

4. I received Prime Soundwave in the mail, and after opening and transforming it, I am severely disappointed, after being excited beforehand.

Do you have any First Edition figures? From what I've seen, the First Edition figures are better when compared to the weaker RID line. Just in terms on how they look/transform/and overall design. What disappointed you about Soundwave? The transformation? I think the robot mode looks great, and how they were able to incorporate Laserbeak into his chest was very cool.

I just wanted to give my opinion on this, since you're from Chicago...and I was born there. :) 

20. mikenoynoy

mikenoynoy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Come on buddy....what would Optimus do?