Is it Time to get a New iPod?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blaster_Prime, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

My iPod has been acting really weird lately, it does things where...

1. It skips songs for no apparent reason, sometimes half of an entire album!! Even songs that I got off iTunes.

2. Refuses to shut off, no matter how mant times I try to get it to shut down.

3. Worse yet...I tried diagnostics mode and on the first test I got a red screen that said "COMPLETE 705 ... 15 failiures

That doesn't sound like a good thing to me...but other than that it works fine. Is it time to get a new one or is it something I can easily get repaird for reletively cheap? Keep in mind that 80 gig classics are now only $300 or less

Any help is appretiated.

2. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Time to get a Creative Labs Zen Vision mp3 player!

3. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

QF-MFing-T

4. Soundwave

Soundwave Chillin' Like A Villian

I Second That!

5. Blaster_Prime

No way, I got a Creative My Zen before my iPod...I had to take it back and get my money back because the piece of garbage kept deleting all my files and shutting down for no apparent reason...pretty sure that was a MY ZEN, not sure if that was the exact model name or not tho

6. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Try restoring your iPod via iTunes. I just had some crazy stuff happen with one of mine and used the "restore" function within iTunes and now it works fine.

Keep in mind that it restores to factory settings, which means all data on the iPod will be erased, which includes songs, photos, videos, podcasts...everything.

This process should also go out and check for any software/firmware updates and install them.

If your iPod is still giving you issues after all of that then I would suggest looking into a new iPod, or an alternative MP3 player.

7. Blaster_Prime

what the hell does QF-MFing-T mean?

8. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Well the Zen Vision is the next generation and I've had it for almost a year. Never had any problems with it. And unlike an iPod, I don't need any special program to add songs to it. Drag and Drop baby! It can even double as an external hard drive.

9. Blaster_Prime

I've restored it twice already and tried reloading problem albums. As for an alternative mp3 player, I'm doubtful of doing that considering I have a ton of stuff I got off iTunes. Plus I don't know enough about mp3 players to know what to get. All I know is that I don't trust Creative Zens.

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    My iPod was doing the same thing....restoring fixed most of my problems, weird it's not helping yours.

11. Kupp

Kupp Relic of a time before time. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It means the statement has much 'Truthiness'

12. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Is there a way to convert iTunes songs into normal mp3s? I like my iPod, but there is no way in hell you'll ever get me to buy any gimped mp3s from the apple store.

EDIT: I answered my own question - http://askbobrankin.com/convert_itunes_to_mp3_format.html

It is entirely possible to do. No need to lose all your iTunes music if you switch to another player.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  13. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Quails Fly to Motherfucking Toronto. Toronto is completely awesome to quails, which is why they will actually fly there, even though North American quails really suck at flying. When you say QFMFT about something, you are saying it is as awesome to you as Toronto is to a quail.

14. Blaster_Prime

I'm thinking about calling an apple store or something, get some feedback from them...chances are I'll end up getting an 80gig classic. What pisses me off is that the 80gig cost me more than my 30gig video >< damn you apple.

15. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That would be my next advice. If you have a store nearby, setup an appointment with an Apple Genius and they may be able to help you out.

I really hope you get something solved!

16. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Buy.com has brown 30gb Zunes for only $100.

17. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

I don't mean this to sound rude, but the fact that you've had very similar problems across two different players could mean there's something you're doing wrong on your end. You might want to check on that.

18. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Big ups to Creative for all the reasons above.

I'm gonna throw another endorsement in there for Creative--mine died after only about two years, but a year of that was spent in Iraq, and a big chunk of that was in the back of a Bradley or wandering around on patrol. That's a well-built player--and hell, even if you have to buy two for every iPod you buy, they're so much more reasonable priced you'll still save money.

19. Blaster_Prime

not quite...the Zen would wipe my entire library clean, where my iPod still has the songs on it, you can see them on the list, but when you go to play them it thinks for a few seconds before skipping to the next...and the next...and the next until you are some three or even 5 songs down the line.

What's odd is that it only does this with a few albums...so far I've found only two...Tech N9ne's Everready (skips everything between Riot Maker and Bout to Bubble and then every other song just before the Rain) which I bought on iTunes, and Coheed and Cambria's In Keeping Secrents of Silent Earth 3 (skips the first half of the album!)

BLASTER SMASH STEVE JOBS HEAD!!

20. Blaster_Prime

I was looking at Zunes, but I have a ton of music I dowloaded on iTunes and I don't want to go through the hassle of getting them onto my Zune (via programs, burning to disc then re-ripping, ect.)