Is it time to actively campaign to Hasbro to have FP's licence removed?

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by The Phazer, Mar 31, 2007.

1. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

Seriously now? The club has began to actively act against the majority of the fandom who could and never would attend a Botcon's best interests, grabbing toys that would almost certainly be made eventually (and yes, even if they're not in Hasbro's immediate plans, they would get made eventually) and monopolising them in order to create profit for themselves.

Then they bag said toys into packages with stuff they know they clearly couldn't sell as many units of on their own merits, including the cost of the convention itself for non-attendees - that's scalping in my book, and it's positively loathsome.

So, I call for the licence to be removed from Fun Publications. And I don't think I'm the only one at this point, particularily outside of the US.

Now normally a little campaign like this is worthless. But Botcon only has a tiny audience as it is - a few thousand people at most. There are only so many of us it can afford to piss off. And Hasbro don't make any real money on it - they probably consider it to be an attempt to outreach to fans. If they receive more letters of complaint about it than people who actually attend the 'Con, they might seriously start to worry that this is harming their reputation more than it's helping, and at that point the licence wouldn't last long.

So seriously. Who's up for this? Lets make things better.

I'd surmise the best way is a physical letter campaign, both to Hasbro US and to Hasbro International. I'm going to draft a letter template anyone can use. Lets see if we can facilitate some real change that will make the fandom better.

Phazer

2. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    while im not exactly overcome with joy about not being able to get all the seekers, I wouldnt want to see FP's license taken away, thats a bit harsh.

Hasbro wouldnt bother looking for someone to fill FP's shoes, there would just be no Botcon.

I can't afford to attend Botcon, but there are thousands that can and do, and its not fair on them to want their convention taken away from them.

3. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

This really seems like a case of spitfire anger over the whole botcon exclusives thing, before you attempt to go forward with this make sure your angry for the right reasons. Personally I think the price for non-attendees non-club members is ludacris but i dunno if its reason to have their license pulled.

4. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Proof please. When was the last time they turned out all six seekers from one mold?

They didn't even bother to reissue the original Thrust and Ramjet in the U.S.

I don't see why Botcon attendees should be punished because of people (such as me) who don't make the effort to get to the convention.

5. TheJacker

TheJacker Banned

the price is pretty steep but taken their licence away would suck.

i mysalf havent been able to go to botcon but we get to see alot of great stuff come out of itpics of customs from ppl not on tfw2005.vids of geeks in costumes lol jk.

and maybe questions with voice actors. plus its the biggest meeting or tf fans anywhere in the world.

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I...couldn't care less. I plan to kitbash these anyway. :/

7. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I thought this thread was going to be about Fairy Princess and the ability to drive :lol 

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I hate the choices made for the exclusives as well, but also think it's a bit harsh to call for their license.

Perhaps you could redirect the anger into requesting that they don't do this type of thing with using major characters for exclusives ever again?

I don't know about you, and this is the first time the exclusive figures actually have me pissed, but given the figures, line used, and general state of the market, I don't know if something like this ever COULD happen again.

9. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    Yes it does make me very upset that these figures, that i still hope to get someday, will be made botcon exc. but what good does it really do to complain about it. Everyone here knows that about 2 days after botcon starts, or even the day it starts, these will start showing up on the web for sale at places like E-bay and probably even here. So we've all still got a shot at getting them. Just gotta save the money to do so

10. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    No.
    I would have bothered writing more, but it's Phazer who started this shit. And he wouldn't listen anyway, despite the fact that I've thoroughly enjoyed the last 2 Botcons, and plan to go again this year.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    This is going overboard.

Yes, FP has angered some fans, but for the most part, they're awesome. I like the comics, and I like a lot of the exclusives they put out.

Yeah, them having main (filler) line figures as exclusives this year sucks, but its not like they took them away from hasbro. hasbro wasnt going to do the remaining seekers. so they're now botcon exclusives. does this suck a whole damn lot for the entire transformer fandom except for those with the ability to go to botcon or order the exclusives as non-attendees? yeah. it sure does.

but they havent really done anything wrong. they're trying to serve the fans the best they can. they havent directly screwed anyone anywhere close to the level of OTFCC did.

and yes, I'd much rather the classic exclusives did not exist than being available in such small numbers. blame hasbro for that, not FP.

you don't know that. Hasbro never would have given the figures to FP had they any intention of ever releasing them through more official channels. the seekers being released as botcon exclusives tells us that without a doubt, they'd never be released at retail, or hasbro would have done it.

the classic set is sending one message to everyone loud and clear. hasbro has no intention of ever resuming the classics line.

12. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I hate the choice of adding the remaining Seekers into the set, as I can in no way afford them any time soon, I may as well forget about them. But does FP or Hasbro need grief for this? No.

13. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Is it time to actively campaign to the BBC to have Phazer's access to Transformers message boards removed?

14. TrooperMaximus

TrooperMaximus TFW2K5 Sailor

How much is the non-attendee set?

15. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I'm with ops, I bashed all my figures anyways and only have Dirge left to do.

I will say it sucks for those that don't like/want to kitbash their figs into the other seekers.

I will laugh, though, if Hasbro goes ahead to releases those figs. Can they still do that after botcon?

16. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    but then where would we get hilarious threads from...

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Phazercon!
    PHAZERCON!
    PHAZERCON!

18. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

Even if they were made eventually it probably wouldnt be until after the movie and then after heroes so we're looking at many years down the road. If anyone's holding their breath that long for them then they'd haved saved enough money to buy this set.

I don't see why Hasbro would release all six. I don't see any proof of them continuing classics at all.

19. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

If anything, I think throwing all the seekers in the box set is an absolute olive leaf to the usual whiners and complainers. The box set is produced in larger quantities than the attendee exclusives, tends to not rise in value much, and is available bagged for half the price if you have a friend who is going to the con (and honestly, you post on Transformers message boards...you can find somebody willing to do this easily).

In the past I think FP would have been more likely to pack maybe one seeker in the box set and do a 2-pack of the other two in lower quantities.

In any case, hell no I'm not supporting an effort to have their license removed. Their club, in spite of its flaws, is far and away better than anything we've had before. Their conventions have been getting progressively more popular. To be frank I'd support an alternative campaign to this nonsense of yours in which we let Hasbro know how awesome a job FP is doing and how for once they licensed the brand out to a third party that didn't fuck things up like all the others have done.

You're obviously not going to get the kind of support you seem to expect for this. Maybe it's time to realize you don't represent the rest of us as much as you think you do.

20. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I'll sign it

QFT