Is it time for new factions?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by unicronic, Nov 22, 2011.

1. unicronic

unicronic TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I am not tired with TF by any means but the original '86 explored the concept of races beyond Cybertronians such as Junkions and Quintessons.

Whilst I don't expect the core of TF to be diluted isn't it time to freshen things up with new conflicts beyond Autobot vs Decepticon and add some new motivations to the mix. For example rather than a war for energon, the Quintessons clone Prime to create a Nemesis to lead a new army whose purpose is [insert despicable motive here].

Similarly breakaway factions could be interesting. They've been explored in the past but as short lived distractions e.g. Starscreams & Combaticons.

Whilst TF Prime has certainly thrown some welcome curve-balls and is a solid show new threats and new allies wouldn't go amiss, would they?

2. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    It would be cool to see how they could be handled in Prime...

3. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Not too many, but if it was handled well it could be interesting. Will we see it in the alligned continuity? In my opinion, doubtful, as they seem to be boiling down the essence of all the previous series and there hasn't been any breakthrough important factions outside of the big two (I include the Maximals / Predacons in this as they just replaced the standard with a similar archetype).
    At the end of the Exiles novel the Velocitrons had seemingly picked sides and conformed, and minicons have only been mentioned as one of the thirteen. Most other fiction has depicted the Junkions as a lost Autobot tribe and to me the Quints are completely seperate entities.
    I would like to see the G2 logos return at some point, but only if it made sense with the story.

4. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If it was a third faction, yes. If it was replacing the bots and cons, then no. The only reason that worked in Beast Wars was because the writers were so dedicated to making it work. Today that wouldn't be happening

5. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Sadly ten years of the bots and cons pretty much killed any hope for another BW moment (New factions).

So instead since the bots and cons won't be leaving, maybe just drop the characters instead. Prime and Megatron can't be the only ones leading troops. Just do a series about the conflict taking place beyond Prime and Megatron's forces. Show off another bot and con commander and their soldiers and start working on strong character backgrounds around them.

6. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    I would like to see some merchant factions. It could be interesting seeing how they play the sides of the war without provoking retribution from either side.

7. 0MEGATR0N

0MEGATR0N Robot/Gladiator

nope.

8. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    yup.

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The way the Transformers universe has grown since that first G1 episode I think more than just a simple divide between Autobots and Decepticons could be interesting. Something more like Marvel and DC where you have several different groups instead of everyone broken into just heroes and villains.

10. Ironhidebot

Ironhidebot Wrecker

I think it'd be interesting to see that, the closest thing that would be on the show right now is MECH, hopefully they expand their involvement in the story

11. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It's going to be sometime before we see new factions like we did with the Beast Wars era. We're at a time where Autobots and Decepticons are so popular that short of adding a third faction, such as a Junkion appearance in TFP, I doubt we'd see much deviance from the path. I'd welcome it however; change is always worth a shot.

12. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Always up for a bit of a change.

I like the merchant / neutral bloc idea, rather than a straight evolution of new names for old enemies (which is not to troll BW fans), and quite a few of them.

Maybe best handled in the comics, though, they have most scope for exploring something like this.

Let's start with uneasy allegiances of more pacifist TFs - Mirage and Thundercracker start a new movement that sues for peace - and move on to those who wish to profit from violence without showing allegiance either way (Lockdown, Swindle, sure there's got to be an Autoboot that fits), and another third-party akin to the Junkions.

Then start making some new characters, too.

13. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Neutrals? Yeah, that'd be the best option to explore, I think.

14. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    IDW did neutrals well with the Drift series, imho.

15. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Well we do have MECH. And the quintessos were sort of their own thing. We've had Unicron radicals like in BW Neo too. Space pirates in BWII.

16. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There were several different splinter factions in The War Within comics. It might be interesting to have a couple different "good guy" factions and a couple different "bad guy" factions, if their motivations were narrowly defined enough to make it clear that Good Guy A has a fundamentally different philosophy from Good Guy B, Bad Guy A and Bad Guy B.

I could easily imagine G1 Optimus Prime refusing to be on the same team as Movie Optimus Prime based on the treatment of prisoners of war/defeated enemies.

17. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I'd still love to see a show that started out with the Autobots vs. the Decepticons, as usual, but then out of the blue, the Maximals and Predacons showed up, sporting beast modes and everything we've become accustomed with in Beast Wars.

18. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    in energon, rodimus was his own team, so perhaps using other bot and con leaders to create other teams, independant of the main.

well, how about using jhiaxus and the cybertronians? since he did all sorts of experiments to evolve the TF race might be kinda intresting what his army would look like.

19. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

I would love to see an origin story that explores the city states before the decepticon attack and tells the story of how an entire planet comes to be Autobot pr Decepticon.

20. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    ^ Whirl did it.