Is it so easy to make a Botcon figure set?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Edgewise, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    With the announcement of the 5 names and the reveal of Kup, there's those who like it and those who don't. Of course everyone has their pet ideas that they'd individually prefer, and there are pet peeves like not using current molds or using previously repainted molds, etc. Well, if a lot of such restrictions were placed on you, what kind of set could you come up with?

Anyone can make up an amazing set of figures if they follow no constraints, so what interests me are ideas that have to fit into set constraints. So how about these rules:

1. Need to have 10 figures(5 for the boxed set, 1 attendee gift, and 2 souvenir 2-packs)
    2. Need to have a 'main attraction' large figure for the boxed set(1 voyager or ultra or 2 voyagers)
    3. Need to have a 'main attraction' large figure for a souvenir 2 pack(1 voyager or ultra)
    4. The rest need to be deluxes or scouts
    5. Leaders and Supremes are too large
    6. From licensing/too recent/too old, etc. it seems that only A/E/C molds are available to FP
    7. There's a complaint of molds already re-used so the list of A/E/C molds with Zero re-uses is(excluding leaders/supremes):

Armada: None
    Energon: Deluxe Prime, Demolishor, Sharkticon, Highwire/Kicker, Alpha Q, Mega-Dinobot, Wingsaber
    Cybertron: Wreckloose, Dirtboss, Brimstone, Thunderblast, Deluxe Unicron, Menasor

(I think that's everything... I am counting repaints, exclusive/foreign repaints, and remolds as re-uses, to thoroughly prevent any re-use complaint)

Having only 13 molds(including Alpha Q, Highwire/Kicker, and Mega-Dinobot!?!) to make 10 figures from I think starts to show it does get rather hard to try to please a lot of people. Heck, just the requirement of a 'main attraction' large figure for the box set and souvenirs means you'd have to use 2 of these 4: Menasor, Wingsaber, Mega-Dinobot, and Alpha Q.

Bonus points: Have it celebrate the 25th Anniversary in some way

So within rather restrictive but realistic rules... what can you dream up?

2. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    My Idea:

"Starbase Rampage"

Boxed set:
    Protoform X/Rampage (Cyb. Menasor with new head)
    --Hammer(Cyb. Menasor's minicon Heavy Load)
    Bludgeon(Cyb. Unicron)
    Depthcharge(E. Sharkticon)
    Mindwipe(Cyb. Brimstone with new head)
    Elita-1(Cyb. Thunderblast with new head)

Bonus figure:
    Waverazor(Elita-1 repaint in Armada Airazor colors, though a new character)

Souvenirs:
    2 pack #1: Sledge(E.Demolishor) & Iguanus(Cyb. Wreckloose)
    2 pack #2: Decibel(Energon Mega-Dinobot)/[Noise & Graphy(Grimlock & Swoop)] & Kup(Cyb. Dirtboss with new head)

Celebrates the 25th Anniversary by pulling a figure/character from many years/eras/gimmicks:
    -->G1 pre-Movie (Elita-1) [1984-1985]
    -->G1 Movie (Kup) [1986]
    -->Headmasters (Mindwipe) [1987]
    -->Japanese Exclusives (Decibel/Noise/Graphy) [1987]
    -->Pretenders (Iguanus/Bludgeon)[1988-1989]
    -->Micromasters (Sledge/Hammer) [1990]
    -->BW (Rampage/Depthcharge) [1998]
    -->Armada (Waverazor) [2003]

Story outline:
    It's the untold story of Protoform X's escape and subsequent rampage on Starbase Rugby. Happening after Rebirth but before Dawn of Futures Past, G1 and BW characters appear in the story, including cameos from the DOFP toys of 2006.

Bludgeon with his lackeys Mindwipe and Iguanus hatch a secret Decepticon plot to gain control of the Maximal's experiment. It's actually Mindwipe's attempts at 'hypnotizing'/'brainwashing' X that unleashes X's evil/treacherous behavior.

On Starbase Rugby, X eats Depthcharge's 'tasty friend' Hammer(who ends up in X's belly) and kills his partner Sledge.

He flees onward to a Transformer colony on a waterworld, where Elita-1, Waverazor, and Depthcharge do battle with him. Though he isn't re-captured until the wise old veteran Kup enlists Noise & Graphy, merged into Decibel, to face up to Protoform X.

Energon Mega-Dinobot would certainly be a tough mold to sell repaints of, but if there's a way it can be done, maybe as a limited edition Botcon souvenir set and repaint as uber-rare Japanese exclusives would be it

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Uh, about FP being banned from anything before Armada...I don't think they are. It's just that the car brother molds are all shot from EXTENSIVE over-use, thus forever unuseable, Alot of the BW figs are crap by today's standards, ditto for G1 (what molds are left, although the club exclusive Piranahcon redeco is simply that), and Alts can't be used because of licencing issues.

Also, in any box set, there must be at least something that doesn't make the whole thing just a bunch of repaints. Take a few Botcon 2008 exclusives like the bagged Energon Leader Megs (electronics striped out): he's not only painted to look like G1 megs as a good guy, he's also got a new head sculpt. Botcon 2008 Jazz also had a new headsculpt. And even evil Rodimus, bagged with Megs, although just a repaint, had a special beard deco that made him different and distinguished.

4. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    It's not just Kup that was revealed. G1 Scourge homage included as well.

5. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd buy that set.

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's worth noting that the BC 2005 set had Energon, RiD, BW, and G2 molds in it.

7. thundrwaveprime

thundrwaveprime the witch king

i had the same idea for a pre beast depth charge and rampage. the others like bludgeon is also a cool idea.

8. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm a little confused by your "Waverazor" idea. What Elita-1 figure? The movie one? That E. Arcee mold has been used quite a few times, three of which by FP.

9. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When has Cybertron Scout Scattorshot been repainted? Or Backstop.

Thunderblast was repainted as Chromia.

10. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

cybertron menasor is dying to have a omega supreme repaint.

and i don't know what you guys are complaining about? with the molds "burning out" i mean, one would think that they can just make NEW molds lol. especially with the newer figures. besides that, i have 4 decepticon jets, *g1's* ranging from original's to reissues. and well, those toys and all their joints are just fine.

plus i have never had any problems with repaint's being "weaker" before.

11. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

if they don't make the Decibel set for real...

...Well, i hate FP anyways.

12. ODarkThirty

ODarkThirty Mechannibal?Survey says..

He means his idea of Elita-1 made from a Thunderblast with a new head should also be used for Waverazor.

Thunderblast/Chromia was redecoed as Minerva who was only available as a Galaxy Force DVD pack-in exclusive.
    Chromia from the 2005 Botcon set used the Energon Arcee mold with a new head.

13. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have no problem admitting that doing a botcon set is hard. My main complaint about this year is that using an animated concept with AEC toys is just misleading and annoying. I was really hoping for animated repaints and the concept got my hopes up. Also I dont like the idea that every toy has to be an homage. I would like to see some new chracters thrown in. This would allow the team to get real creative with decos. As long as a good story is told I dont think fans would mind a new character at all.

I did try just for fun to try to figure some thing out with all homages and it is hard. I said screw it and used Animated figures since the toyline appears to be canceled or will be by the time of the con and could fit under Hasbros "not if its still in production" rule. I also copied the concept of a first misson for the wreckers

so yeah here is

Operation: Volcano

Main set
    Voyager Longarm/Shockwave as Impactor
    Deluxe Cybertron Prime as Kup
    Battle Begins Megatron with head remold as Emirate Xaaron
    Sentinel Prime as Roadbuster

Oilslick with head remold as Bludgeon (tank colors)

Add on set 1
    Jetfire/Jetstorm (remolded to share one head and the same wings) as Rack and Ruin

Add on set 2
    activators starscream and megatron as Needlenose & spinster

Some of the choices especially the cons are the greatest but I do like the first two ALOT...

I may try to do another idea under the aec rules you posted above

14. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow I really cant sleep tonight

ok so heres
    "Rescue from Planet Mayhem."

Autobot Commander Metalhawk and his team of deap cover operatives known in some circles as "Team: Pretender" pick up a distress call. They find a badly wounded Broadside crashed landed on a desolate planet. Before Broadside can warn of the trap that has been set Metalhawk is badly injured. Though hurt Metalhawk must keep his team alive and rescue Broadside before Bludgeon and his Mayhem squad can finish them off.

Giftset using the model from 2005

Autobots
    Tidalwave with remolded head as Broadside
    Scattorshot as Longtooth
    Coby Scrapmetal as Pincher

Decepticons
    Cybertron Unicron as Bludgeon
    Ransack as Iguanus
    Backstop as Stranglehold
    Insecticon as Bombshell

Freebie
    Dirtboss as Groundbreaker (head remold)

Set 1
    Mega-dinobot as Gōryū &Yokuryū
    vs. Energon Starscream as Metal Hawk (remold wings for faction symbols)

Set 2
    Override as Vroom
    Vs. Sharticon as Finback

I Like this set because it would fit in well with the classics/universe. Also people seam less upset with repaints when they homage obscure g1 toys

15. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    Im sticking to my guns on a "Origins" box set. an homage to Diaclone.

Box set:
    Blue Classics Prime
    Police Sunstreaker (with chrome like Henkei)
    Black sideswipe w/ blue head and body parts
    Bluestreak (actually blue)
    Red Mirage

Attendee exclusive: Black perceptor (the figure that was Machine wars soundwave)

Two packs: Yellow Inferno as Diaclone grapple and Black Ironhide (maybe use energon towline)

Two Packs: black megatron w/ brown grips. Energon Wheeljack painted as Marlboor Wheeljack

16. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    Fist full of enrgon set

Voyager SS repainted in Gen 1 colors
    Voyager SS repainted in Thundercracker colors
    Delx Blackout inc poncho

Extra figs

Prowl repainted like the guards from Rise of Safeguard

Voy SS repaint in Ramjet colors

17. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Uh... I'm just taking some basic *possible* info to create some concrete constraints to try to stimulate creative thinking within those constraints. I'm not interested in debating the absolute undeniable truth of the fabricated constraints, because there is no way we'd get a full specific list of each mold that is or isn't available. Molds before Armada are questionable on that status, supposedly BW2 Galvatron was meant to be 2005 Deathsaurus, but couldn't be used. And supposedly E.Insecticon, BW Insecticon, and TM2 Scarem were all preferred choices before BW Buzzclaw to be the Virulent Clones et al. There probably are some earlier molds that could be used, but how to know which? It's not *just* the heavily used molds like the car brothers as BW2 Galvatron indicates. Want to take part in the game or debate 'facts' that we'll never specifically, undeniable know either way?

Thanks, I had a feeling I was forgetting some Cyb. basics. Thunderblast as the DVD Minerva slipped my mind too.

There is Landshark...

I love the Tidalwave mold, and a Broadside would be cool and all... the idea's been mentioned many times but I haven't seen anyone address the molded Decepticon symbol issue. 4 parts in 3 colors have molded 'con symbols redoing all that and a new head seems like a lot...?