is it silly to have more than 8 gb mp3 player?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by iheartarcee, Apr 8, 2008.

1. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

I am looking around and cant decide if I want a 80 gb ipod or a large gb portable hard drive. With the hard drive I can just store video/music files and dump them on my sansa e280 when I want them but with an ipod I can dump it all on there and not think about it again. Any thoughts.. opinions.. insight??

2. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i've had an 80 gig ipod since october. i've got about 12 gigs of music and 20 gigs of video on it and i don't feel like it's an excessive amount or anything. i like the fact that i don't have to delete anything if i stick a new album or movie on there. it gives me a lot more breathing room than my sister's 8 gig touch. if you plan on any video at all you'll want more than 8 gigs for sure.

3. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I agree with Toma's assessment. My 80gig currently has has 6gig music and 10gig video. It's only that low because I deleted about 15gig of video out of it just the other day.

Thing is I never intended to use the video. Before I had one I thought why would i ever want to watch anything on such a small screen? If I want to watch vids on the go I'll put them on my PSP. And then ever after I got it my last thought was "Ok lets get some video on here. Then I got so heavy into podcasts and a few of the ones I follow are video.

4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    My wife just bought me a 16GB iPod Touch. I find it the perfect size for me since I don't d'load much videos.

5. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

On my 80GB I have a good 15GB's of music and 15GB's of video. I used to have a 4GB Nano, and it's great to not have to delete music.

I still have to try and put the Band of Brothers series on it...it'll take a lot of formating if it works at all.

6. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I bought an 80gb Zune a month and a half back. I've got about 30gb of music on there, 35gb of videos, and roughly 5gb worth of video podcasts. (Best Week/Day Ever RULES!)

So really, bigger IS better. But it's all in what you prefer.

7. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    More is better.

8. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. what you can afford
    2. what you want to do
    3. room for experimentation.

that is the order of priorities for me when i buy something.

i still have a 1gb mp3 player that suits me just fine- i am able to keep several audiobooks and enough music to keep me interested for any of my outings.

at first, i didn't think an Ipod with video would be something i would want. Said the same thing about PSPs. but the awesome quality of the video changed my mind. it would be nice to catch up on tv when i have to be somewhere boring- dr office, DMV, etc.

9. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

I'd say go for it.

Scored me a 1GB iPod Shuffle (2nd gen.) back in Xmas of last year and quite happy with it.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i would recommend not using ipod as a backup device.

11. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I have a 30 GB iPod. I currently have 18 GB of music on it and less than 2 GB of video. I like the flexibility to add stuff in without the hassle of needing to move stuff off of it.

12. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

The only thing I think is silly about such a large storage unit is if you where on a DRM subscription service and you expect nothing will go wrong when you start filling up your player.

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I dropped the extra $100 for the 16g iPhone. I knew 8 just wouldn't be enough.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a 4 gig MP player. I already filled it up. I wish I had more space, so I can't ever see more space being a bad thing. I have to shuffle a lot. I don't mind it, but I do wish I had more space.

15. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It all depends on how much you want on you and such. Carrying an entire library and putting it on random is nice for long trips. :D 

Myself, I had the spare money at the time so I went with an 80gb iPod classic to hold everything (because I read reviews and it seemed to have improved on many issues I had with iPods at the time), and a Sony 8gb flash player (because I find Sony's MP3 players have had the best sound quality for my preference and headphones). So I have one with everything + podcasts + some video, and one with richer sound quality if I really want to sit back and fall into a certain selection of my favourite music.

16. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    There are enough legal alternatives to DRM filled subscription services that anyone who uses them has only themselves to blame.

17. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I'm with the "bigger is better" crowd here. I've got a 60gig iPod video, and it's almost half-filled with music. For me, the thing about an MP3 player is not having to cart around Cds or anything to listen to - and be able to choose exactly what you want. There's LOADS of times I've been walking down the street and thought "damn, I've not heard that song in AGES"... well, now I can just find it and listen to it.

I LOVE MY IPOD.

18. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I need to hit youtube or googlevideo (forgot which), you can find on there the Mac summit where Jobs first revealed the original iPod. Seeing the presentation for that, knowing what we do now, is kind of cool. :D 

19. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

I bit the bullet last night and got the silver 80 gb classic dopi... hehe.. i love it. itunes has been different but i am learning. I think this will be a good choice and ill hang onto the sansa for jogging and what not since its flashed based.

20. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I think it's a bit silly to have an MP3 player these days with a HDD in it instead of memory chips, but that's only because all the HDD players I've had in the past had HDD failures, were too big, and/or had lousy battery life spinning that disc all the time.

My 4 GB nano is all I need. I have no need for all that space, if I ever do I'll just upgrade to 8 or 16 GB. No more HDDs for me, they WILL fail, it's just a matter of when. Solid state all the way from here on.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008