Is it safe to ship G1 Megatrons nowadays?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Galaxy Convoy, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Since he's a realistic gone and all? I ask this because I recently had a very disconcerting experience with this. I sold my TFC reissue Megatron thru ebay on the 13th of February for a nice sum, and shipped it out via USPS Priority Mail a few days later(16th or 17th, can't remember which). A week goes by, and I get a message from the buyer asking if I've shipped it yet. Okay, I start to get a little perturbed about it, but I shrug it off, it's just taking a little longer than normal for some reason. Flash forward to the 27th, I get another message from the buyer. Where's the package, it shouldn't be taking this long, yadda yadda yadda. Allright, now I start to get worried. It's gotten lost, the buyer's address was incorrect, it went to the wrong address and somebody decided to keep it, those kinds of thoughts went through my mind. But above all was the thought that I might have to refund the buyer, and essentially threw a G1 Megatron away.

Today I got positive feedback from the buyer, much to my great relief. Apparently the buyer just got the package today or yesterday. But what the hell happened? Almost 3 weeks for something to be shipped via Priority Mail, from here(Alabama) to there(Maryland)? Something doesn't smell right. Did it get held up somewhere because they might've X-Rayed it and thought it was a real gun?

2. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    I was worried about that too when I sold a loose Megatron a few months ago. I just shipped him in robot mode. ;) 

3. zuffyprime

zuffyprime It's not easy being green

robot mode is safer man... but if you need to ship in gun mode, an orange piece of fabric inserted into the barrel of the gun indicates it is a toy gun. I always write a note as well indicating: this is a toy gun!

4. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I hope not, I plan on buying a MISB re-Megs over summer.

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I don't see why.

1). He's got some diecast, true.. but he's mostly plastic. That'll show in an x-tra. X-rays of plastic and metal objects look different.

2). People ship real guns all the time. Ever see any of those online or catalogue stores that sell hunting equipment? Hello...

This whole "Megatron's a gun so he can't be shipped" stuff has got to stop. It's all nonsense that started up when Hasbro didn't want to release the reissue. That on top of the fact they kept making Megs a tank in the newer series. Truth is, G1 Megs couldn't pass the safety stuff. He's as fragile as a piece of glass. No amount of long missles and short stacks would ever get him to conform to the standards.
    That and the Hasbro people have a thing against guns. They want Megs as a tank because it's more powerful than a gun. The upcoming G1-Neo line shows they could make him a handgun if they wanted to.

6. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    But a gun is so much more cooler. :ev: 

7. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Maybe so, but all the TFs have handguns already. To someone not biased by the G1 series ( like todays kids ), a leader that turns into another handgun is lame. Especially compared to a something with 100x the firepower.

I'd rather Megs be a gun, but pushing G1 aside, I can see why Hasbro likes tank better.

8. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    Of course, they want to market this for kids not just collectors. Kids=$$$$. :thumb 

9. Darth Megatron

Darth Megatron Don't tell Lucas!

From a collector’s perspective, I would love a G1 Megatron. Megatron was a kick ass fig that looked so realistic. From a parent point of view I would NEVER buy my son a toy gun, especially one that looked so real. There is more play value in a toy that on the same level as the other figs. For example with g1, Megs was cool, but the 'gun' could not interact with the rest of the figs without looking a little out of place. Guns are not toys, and they should not be marketed as such.

10. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    Not here in North Philly. I see kids with guns all that time. It's a shame too. Kids loose there childhood soo quickly now o days.

11. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I bought a KO G1 Megs from Mexico about six months ago and it shipped in package in gun mode and arrived pretty quickly.

12. Darth Megatron

Darth Megatron Don't tell Lucas!

I guess I am a little sheltered in up in Canada, but it is terrible thing. Don't get me wrong gun violence is on the rise here as it is every were else, but without getting too off topic, I think that all toy guns should be banned for the same reason. It sends the wrong message to kids. The world is a different place then it was 20 years ago. Back then you and your friends could terrorize the neighborhood 'playing guns' but now, a toy can be mistaken for the real thing and then well, anything can happen. I’m sorry about changing the topic, but I do want to know what others on the fourm feel about it.

13. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    On top of that, another reason that was quoted at one of the past Botcons by... Archer I believe... was that since every state has different regulations on toy guns... the only way to have made a Megatron they could have sold in every state would have been to color him like a member of the New York Nicks.

Now, who would buy a reissue that wasn't really a reissue. Especially at TRU's god awful inflated prices. And you can tell they were inflated based on the prices that KB is selling Sideswipe for and the Hasbro website is selling Astrotrain for. So, yes, they could make Megatron a gun if they wanted, but Neo G1 shows that they can't make it realistic. If they make a realistic looking gun, than they have to make it akward colors. From what I've been told about the Neo G1 Megs by some friends whom went to Botcon (and what I've read here on the boards) Megs may have his silver color, but he isn't a traditional handgun... he looks more like a flaregun crossed with a nerf blaster... and even though he's not a realistic looking gun, he still has to have an orange colored cap on the tip.

However, over the holidays, I bought myself a G1 Megs (the 16-S Megatron) mint in box from BBTS. It came ontime without any problems and it (being mib) shipped in gun mode. So, I don't see where there would really be a problem shipping one. As was already stated, people ship real guns via online shops all the time. The only thing I can think of is that their might be some kind of check that has to be made on the shipping adress of a gun that's being shipped, but that just sounds silly.

14. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    There is a quick and easy way to solve all shipping worries.

simply unclip the upper chest, and then remove the screw at the pivot point in the waist joint.

voila, the gun barrel and housing are now separate from the rest.

next just transform it into some remnant of the robot mode, and if the FBI frisks you and or your package, just tell them you're shipping a "broken" robot. (not really broken, but what they don't know don't hurt you..... well.... except for the whole frisking thing).

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    there's no problem with shipping megatron in gun mode. the only time he may cause you trouble is if you put him in your carry-on luggage on a plane, or if you're walking around outside holding him in gun mode and pointing him at random people and cars.

the reason it took so long is because it was the US Postal Service. They suck. you cant rely on them to get anything anywhere on time.

16. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    That happened to me when I was a kid. The cop thought it was real and freaked out. I wasn't pointing it at anyone, just playing and the cop almost had me on the ground. :redface2: 

17. Cyclone_X

Cyclone_X Cybertronian Warlord

it has caused troubles in the past for a few Dutch fans, where they had to declare this and that to the customs that it was indeed a toy and not a gun, plus pay a ****load of extra importtaxes

since then, they advice every fan to ask the seller to ship Megatron in bot mode (when shipped from outside of Europe)

18. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, Even if they take longer, I dont think I have to worry, Im getting the TFC Megatron anyday now MIB, and he will be coming with a bunch of other figs, so I dont think I will have to worry about anything if hes in the middle or something.(But Im hoping he on the top, so when I open the box, hes the first thing I see. :ev:  )

19. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Nah, I ship stuff via Priority Mail all the time, and it always gets there pretty fast. Hell, I shipped two packages that day, the Megatron and my copy of Battlefield 2 for Xbox. The fella that bought the game got it just a few days later.

20. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

No, no it isn't.