Is it really wrong to defend your favourite character?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by kaijuguy19, Apr 12, 2012.

1. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I guess many of you know since I joined here on TFW I've gone overbaord with defending my favourite characters epscially Prime Arcee. So what I really want to know is what's a better way to defend a character that you like so much? If so let me know. I mean are there times that you don't like how your favourite character gets bashed often? Or is it just better to ignore them all together and let them bash?

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Yup, ignore them. You aren't going to change people's minds. Feeding into an argument over it only raises your blood pressure. You're talking about something that's subjective, so unlike factual arguments there's no way to be correct. It's fine to discuss them, but fighting over them is a completely moot and futile point.

3. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Fight all you want, but it's the Internet, and the only opinion that matters to someone is their own. Besides, sometimes people go overboard with no good defense, and it just gets annoying.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Hell no. But there's a difference between defending and obsessive white-knighting. You have the right to defend your opinion, but so do others.

Honestly, Kaijuguy, you're deffinately more the first category than the second these days. People harsh on you just because you're an easy target. Don't let 'em. Just don't go too far opposite, or you and others just reinforce they're stance.

5. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

The problem people have with you is that you defend Arcee the way I would defend my brother from being offended, you judge her as a real person on your posts [or at least gives the impression of such], and that's taking things way overboard, after a while, people just stop hearing you because they think you're batshit insane.

Defending your character is fine [I do that often, but I rarely get criticised due that], the problem is not going too far in. Also word of advice, don't start an argument on everything, every time people drop an off-hand mention of Arcee being anything that's not 100% perfect, you storm in with a horde of posts to defend her. That's somewhat annoying.

So it's not about defending, it's about not taking it too far.

6. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

Just tone it down, and think before you post. Try to be dispassionate and objective. Kneejerk reactions are nobody's friend.

7. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Split's got a point. I just don't see why a fictional character needs a defense. In fact, even if they were real, they obviously live in a different plane of existence than we, the fans, live in. So they don't even know they're getting bashed. "Wait, this is all a TV show?"

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    When you see someone post a joke scenario that your favourite character is the butt of, and feel compelled to post a scenario of your own that continues from where the joke left off and features your character getting their back, you definitely have a problem.

9. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i love arcee and rhinox

10. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    You just need to realize that it's all subjective. What anyone says about your favorite character, be it RotF Wheelie, Mudflap, Skids, Arcee, Megatron, Overlord, or Starscream...why would you let what other people think change your opinion?

And if it's an obvious troll just to draw you in, well...don't feed the trolls.

11. Malancthon

Malancthon Kyūkyoku Hakaijin

Nah, a favorite character is your favorite character. I don't see anything wrong with defending it.

Of course, one has to take ribbing in stride, too.

12. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Well-Known Member

No, I feel a compulsive need to depend my opinions so if your opinion is "Arcee is great",it would be hypocritical of me to say you can't. Besides, these threads wouldn't be as fun without your Arcee obsession. However, if people saying any nonpositive things about her
    is enough to get you riled up; you've gone too far.You haven't yet, don't worry, I just don't want you to cross the line.

13. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    You make a good point. Maybe I still don't know about how the Internet works completely but I'm starting to get a better idea now.

I do know that people have the right to defend thier opinons. Maybe I'm letting thier opinons get the better of me too much.

Trust me I'm practicing that lately. So far I'm doing good but I may have some kinks to work on.

I didn't mean to give out the impression that I think Arcee's real. I know that she is just so you know that I'm not insane.

I guess I just care for the character a lot that I sometimes let my disagreements get the better of me and have the urge to write a defense up every time something like a joke or crack is made that gets to me.

I'm not letting people changw my opinon however there were times that ti almost did buut I do get over it after a while.

Thanks everyone for listing. It does answer my questions. I just wanted to talk this out with you like a sane person about my urge to go overboard with defending.

14. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just tone it down and stop the white knighting. That's all we ask. Remember a while ago I mentioned to tone it down but you've seem to have gotten worst.

15. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

Everyone has the right to say, "Hey, I'm a fan of Ironhide!" Like myself, but for someone to come back and bash me for it, now that just wont be tolerated.

Or, if you're fan of someone of a lesser magnitude, that's your right, too. Seriously, I think the Mod's should really get a handle on all the negativity. We're all fans, we all have opinions, and if we can't get along with each other, then what are we doing here?

16. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Nothing is wrong with it, but when somebody says something and the topic starts to fall a part from it, then there is a problem.

I like Transformers Prime Arcee too, but I don't argue about her from topic to topic if somebody questions why she does something or don't do something. People have different ideas, you just got to roll with the punch if somebody does not agree with you. Can't just keep on fighting, got to draw the line and agree to disagree.

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    And out of habit from the time he was the second category, without noticing he's changed. But he's improved a lot in the last few months.

18. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I like Depthcharge.

19. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Thanks for showing concern and being honest with me mate :0

I guess it's the Arcee fan in me talking and I jusy like to defend her because she's my favourite character that's all.

Good points! :thumb 

20. IceMagnus

IceMagnus STARCO FTW!!!!!

News Credits:
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, KajiGuy. Give them time, they'll come around.