Is it possible to put a pin into something (like a replacement?)

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by NGW, Sep 2, 2007.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Wasn't sure whether or not to post this here or in customs and kitbashes so if this is in the wrong place feel free to move it.

As I said the other day, I recently found a bunch of my old Power Rangers stuff, and among them was my Dragonzord (personal favorite zord out of every season). He is in pretty good condition, only missing a couple things on him (the battery cover for his chest piece (the electronics still work), the tip of his tail (the small top piece), the stand for his drill/chest lance, and a pin that goes into his side that holds the top and bottom half together (arm and leg section).

He holds together alright, but I'd much rather have him actually secure and such. So how would I go about, first getting a pin for him, and how (if it is possible) would I get it inserted?

Thanks much,
    NGW

2. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Best bet would be to take one of the pieces the pin goes through to a hobby shop or hardware store, and find a piece or metal rod that's the right diameter to fit in the hole with the least amount of play, possible. Depending on if the piece you'r test fitting with was the one that actually held the pin, you'll want a pretty snug fit.

Once you've got the right size piece of metal, just cut it to length, smooth up the ends with a file, and press it into the hole. Working with factory pins, it's often necessary to tap them in with a hammer and a nail set.

If you're worried about doing more damage taping the pin in, you can get a drill bit the same size as the piece of metal rod, and drill out the parts, to get a fairly precise fit. You might still need the nail set, or something like it to get the pin in, but you should have to hammer on it. Once the pin is in, you might want to put a drop of super glue on it, to hold it in place.

Depending on where you go, you'll have the choice of brass, steel or aluminum rod stock. I'd go with aluminum. It's softer than steel, but it's silver colored like the original pin, and it won't rust.

Hope this makes sense. I should be in bed, by now.

3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Makes sense enough.

Thanks, I'll be sure to make a trip down to home depot (they'd have what I need, yeah?) or something when I get a chance.

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yes!