Customs: Is it possible to make TF: Animated characters look LESS Animatey?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by trence5, Aug 2, 2011.

1. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

What's folks.
    How would you go about making an Animated figure look, well LESS Animatey, and more like something from RTS, Universe, Generations, basically more Classics looking, so it won't look so odd from my other TFs?

thanx alot

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Depends on the figure, really. On some, a simple head swap can go a long way to helping achieve that. On others, you may need to add some styrene or parts to try to take it out of the Animated style a bit.

Case in point, check out most of the Animated Arcee customs (I'm even working on one myself). A new head on a modded neck post and you've got a different look and feel. It's not 100% Classics, but it looks a lot different from the Animated counterpart.

What Animated figures were you talking about wanting to change into a Classics style? Maybe I can give more ideas once I hear what you're thinking about.

3. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I believe it was Sculpt-Bot who turned an Animated Oil Slick into a Classics Wreck-Gar without any semblance of it having been an Animated figure.

4. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Yes it was! I really liked the work he put into that one. He's also done similar to some of the movie figures, by turning them into a more Classics style (Swindle and Brawl come to mind).

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Yes, it's possible if you do the necessary parts-swapping and mods.

For example, I'm a firm believer that Animated Arcee was always just a few tweaks away from fitting the Classics aesthetic.

6. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In some bots cases, a head swap proves enough. I've seen a couple good "Classics" Arcee with such a change.

In others not so much so.

One thing you'd have to deal with is that the Animated aesthetic features many rounded parts... sometimes the "humanoid" forms are also feature exaggerated "cartoony" proportions. Or rather, maybe a Homunculus fits that description better... wait, those don't have huge feet usually... =,

That said, I think the Animated Dinobots and Predacons could make good Universe stand-ins with a few mods... Ultra Magnus's alt mode works well, but you'd have to mod those very rounded arms and the chest panel to make him feel less Animated styled.

7. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

Using styrene to square out some of the rounded aesthetics helps a lot as well, and if there is the space - adding more techy details to flat panels.

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I was going to say that the alt modes tend to suffer less from the aesthetic, so concentrating on the bot mode is the major concern.

9. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What do you guys think of Animated Rodimus? Do you think a simple head swap would be enough?

10. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    I think a head swap would be enough for Rodimus. I'm working on a custom scratchbuilt G1-styled Rodimus head for a bud here on the forums. He plans to use it on the TFA Rodimus mold.

Here's a link to the head I'm working on for him (with update links in the first post): http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/402038-commission-g1-rodimus-head-tfa-rodimus.html

11. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
  12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Another fine example:

[​IMG]

13. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Thanks for digging him up so I didn't have to ;) 

The thing with the whole "aesthetics" thing and TFs is it's REALLY a eye-of-the-beholder situation.

From DAY 1 Transformers has mixed-and-matched toys from different sources with different looks and feels into one big mish-mashed pot. Early G1 was, after all, a mix of Microchange, Diaclone, Dougram, Beetras, Macross, and other odds and ends.

The modern collector has gotten used to lines "hanging together" visually because Hasbro has put a lot of effort into creating unified looks for each subline over the last few years, but that doesn't mean that it "has to be" that way.

Personally, I feel that since these are alien living MACHINES, and just like we can build a car or a plane or a weapon that LOOKS any darn way we want, there's no reason why a multi-billlion year old alien race of machines would all "look alike."

Fashions come and go, and different tribes have different values. Compared to our limited ability to do body modification (and think about how much visual variation WE exhibit as a species), Transformers can literally represent themselves however they wish.

If your collection is 99% from a single line in a single style, adding one guy from a different sub-line will tend to make for an odd fit, but if you pepper your whole collection with 'bots from various lines, the whole thing starts to hang together as a natural range-of-style emerges.

My "main" colection is probably about 65% "official" CHUG(RTSJKUSNSNEIEOLD) figures, with the remaining 35% being a mix of G1 (mostly Tapes and other Microchange guys that are just perfect in their vintage forms), Movie, Customized-Cross-Overs, AEC homagey figures, and even a few Animated guys, plus all the 3rd party stuff.

Together it represents MY vision of the "neo-G1" Universe, and I really LIKE the visual-style range the the multiple sources give it.

I'll get down off my soap box now ;) 

D/L

14. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

I think if you made roddy have more hard lines/creases on his alt mode it could work really well. Think trying to make "classics" rodimus from animated. A specific example would be to flatten the hood more. Animated is pretty curvy. Sharpen up some lines and i think it would look great.

Overall, adding styrene panels and squareing off some rounded corners would do wonders on any of the toys. I was blown away by spoonman's trailbreaker. I wasn't sure it would fully work until he painted it, and he's made me a believer.
    Sculptbots wreck-gar is amazing as well. I'm ore a fan of the body mods than the head, but it looks great.

Randy!

15. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's pretty cool... TFA Ratchet + new limbs for a Trailcutter/breaker.

As for head swaps... again, Rodimus and Arcee most likely need only headswaps to make them good for a CHUG collection.

16. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah I've already commented in your thread that if you were to put it up on Shapeways or something I would be super into it.