Customs: Is it possible to buy flat headed toy pins some place. ?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by RedAlert Rescue, Jan 4, 2012.

1. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I have been thinking for a while now where on earth can you buy flat headed toy pins ?

The sort that are missing and replaced with screws in various Knock offs in particular I'm thinking of the smaller flat headed pins from Rodimus' shoulders, the ones that sit inside a Voyager Classics Optimus Prime's shoulders and the ones from his wheels. and the ones that fit inside a Classics Deluxe seekers wing joints and shoulders.

All those toys would be very much improved by the correct pins - but where on earth can you buy them ?

I suspect it may be possible to get them from china by the bag full some place - but as Yet I know of now supplier.

Anyone know what to look for or has anyone actually found a supplier already and they can hook me up with some ?

2. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  3. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

I think what he's looking for ar the ones that have the knurled end (so they can grip into the plastic). I've looked a couple times and have never found them. Problem is, sometimes you need to know what the trade name is for hardware to find it in a online search. I'll see if I can dig up anything more.

I'd recomend searching for injection molding shops in your area and asking them. Even your most basic one does some assembly, and they might be able to guide you to the right place.

FYI, a good site I use to find different type of hardware and what they are called is through Mcmaster.com. Thise site seems to have everything (excpet for these pins).

Randy!

4. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've found thin flat-head pins at Hobby Lobby and AC Moore in the doll-house section. They don't have the rough end, but a little pressure with a pair of pliers creates a pattern in the metal and holds well in plastic.

5. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I'm also looking for the various sizes of rod that can be used to assemble or repair toys (like you might get on most Transformers).

Oh and I tried using a panel pin (small nail) to do what I wanted and it does not work it's slightly to shiny and to small and just falls out. I might have to use a bigger size and file it down.

I found some micro drills micro drill bits and Pin vices etc on ebay they come under dolls house general modelling and watch repair. I even found a pin removal tool.

But those pins that toys have is still alluding me... I don't even know what they are called "officially". I would imagine you can buy them in form of longish rods some place and either add the groves with a tool or buy them pre scribed.

But I still can't find them either... And there is several sizes to look for too. and sometimes you want them to have a little flex other times none.

The sort of pins with a flat heads on would be dead handy too as I initially mentioned.

It's funny I can find the means to drill holes but not anything to put in the holes you drill... I wonder if any one has factory links or if any of the shapeways crowd has found them any place ?

I have a dolls house hobby shop in my local town I'll go have another look in there.
    They might sell tiny metal rods along with dowls in my local model shop I'll need to check that. But they would be a fudge probably.

6. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    How about nails?