Is it possible that TF Toys will be hot this holiday season?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Pikatron, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

Every couple years or so, there seems to be a hot item or two that's really hard to find during the holiday season (Furby's, Elmo's, etc). With the release of the movie and the release of the upcoming cartoon, do you guys think that TF toys have the potential to becoming one of this holiday season's hot items?

They seem to be really hard to come by - at least at Target/Walmart/TRU - and unless Hasbro decides to ship a whole boatload to stores soon, I think the shelves may just remain that way through the holidays.

2. The Rage

The Rage Parapsychologist

Ebay:
    Considering they're sold out and its not even the holidays yet....yes?

3. killahbuny

killahbuny Well-Known Member

yeah i think thats a possability.

4. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I've been wondering the same thing. On the one hand, they do seem to be hot, and the DVD release will surely help spike demand again. On the other hand, Holiday is still a good ways away and things can change very quickly and there are always surprises. I mean, how many people honestly expected the Wii to do as well as it has? (Even diehard fanboys like myself didn't expect the level of success.) And stuff like Tickle Me Elmo always seems to come out of left field.

5. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm just hoping for sweet after Xmas specials ;) 

And yeah, TFs will be hot this year. With the hit movie and the eventual DVD, I can't imagine what else would be really strong competition against them other than game consoles, which should be more available and affordable this Christmas than last (plus a better game library).

6. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Part of the (potential) problem is that by the time Xmas shopping is in full swing, a few of the main movie toys may no longer be shipping. In some cases it could be a repeat of what happened with Leobreaker last year.

7. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

I think this is exactly what will happen. It has the pontential of being a hot XMAS item, but there will be none of it around at that time. "Cars" merchandise was nowhere to be found even months before Thanksgiving. They could have sold TONS more had it been shipped during the holiday season, and the shelf space not been reduced.

8. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

I'd have to say this is a distinct possibility. A lot of stores I've called have basically said that they don't expect full-blown restocks until mid-late October. And with the current chaos, that's not even guaranteed. Hasbro might even realize the potential the line has for the holidays and hold off on shipments until November *knocks on wood* because X-mas shopping goes into full swing once Black Friday is upon us.

The one problem is this though: By the time November rolls around, the movie will be out of theatres, the DVD won't be released for a couple more months and children will have moved on to something else. So the toys may actually flop come X-mas time. It's hard to say what will happen around the holidays, but I hope Hasbro has enough common sense to prepare themselves this time.

9. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

I think that it's looking pretty likely right now. With the release of the DVD coming in November, I bet that pretty much seals it.

10. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Its coming out in november! Will looks like the futrama movie has some compition

11. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

Im focusing on non-movie stuff for the holiday... Alts, MP, and classics (still no BB)! I'll wait till after Christmas for movie stuff.

12. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Get yer 08 BB's now.

That being said, I'm not sure if people have that kind of attention span. Transformers is hot now, but will it be still popular in a few months, or would the frustration of not getting the figures when their wanted it turn buyers off.

Hasbro has certainly shot themselves in the foot with the mess up in supply.

13. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'd be really surprised if Transformers isn't the top-selling boy's toyline this Christmas.

14. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    If new product is introduced, and it seems that it will be, then yeah of course it's going to be a hit. But how big?

With the movie and the toys the TF series is a legit powerhouse franchise. If you're trying to find a BB or Prime in December you'll be as shit out of luck as you are now. But if you hit up the stores bright and early on their restock dates and punch a scalper or two in the face before his fat ass wobbles to the toy aisle you're more likely to find what you want. Who's with me?

15. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Two words. Spider Man. He got in demand after the first movie release then in christmas I was like "their still pushing spider man stuff?" which despite the movie no longer playing and not yet available on dvd. Was surpriseing how much kids dug superheroes enough to support one brand for months on end.

Cars played that role last year. Transformers will be big this year.

Right on! I'm with you. I practically had to do that to score the last dropkick after ebay scalper lady only moments earlier carted off all the 09' camaros. I hate her.
    but since bee is'nt shortpacked we should be getting those cases everywhere in october. We'll be watching.

16. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

:throw  duh. (Dr.otto the navie) you fool! It amazes me that you would need to ask that quistion!

17. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Sorta agree with him

18. ROCK_LEE

ROCK_LEE Well-Known Member

i think its gonna be some kiddy toy like its always been. Don't see it being tfs. Its the little kids under 10 who decide what the hot toys are, and their parents that go get it for them.

19. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    I'm leaning on transformers and the new Bell beauty and the beast tea set (can't believe I'm saying this about a girls toy, but it's fricking genius on the tea pot design and play factor). Somehow I just see that being the hit.

Then again, unless they've made more of Aang's Appa plushie. It could be him again, I'm still trying to find mine for less than a couple hundred. And heaven knows the nintendo Wii can't stay on shelves either.

20. butz

butz slippery when wet

Really hoping its popular enough to warrant some new and differently sized molds of the movie characters (Blackout, Bonecrusher, Ratchet). I'm also hoping for more drones to increase my armies.