Is it ok for men to cry?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ILoveDinobot, Aug 22, 2012.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    would any of u cry over a girl?

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    No.

3. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

:lolol 

My view is it's perfectly fine for a guy to cry. There's physical and emotional factors that can spur it and all that, such as a loved one dying or one's favourite Transformer breaking, for example.

4. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Yes

Depends

5. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Sure, it's okay for men to cry. I cried at my Grandfather's funeral, at my Great Grandmother's funeral, and also when my last girlfriend left me. It's completely normal. It means you have a friggin' heart.

BUT

If you're a guy and you cry at the drop of a hat, when you stub your toe, when you don't get your way...or cry as often as women cry??? You're a wimp/wuss/baby/psychological weakling - however you want to state it.

I remember a female co-worker ran out of the building one day, blubbering and crying, because she got scolded and written-up by her boss. Hahaha, if a guy did that??? I would think he was a pussy, and most-certainly think less of him as a man.

That's just how I view it....

See above!

LOL.

6. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Truthfully, I think any man who answers no is fooling themselves. I think there's always that ONE girl who will make a man cry.

To answer the original question, is it okay for a man to cry? Sure, but I do believe men have to keep it together more. I'm no different than anyone else, so I have plenty of things to worry over. I let it get to me from time to time, but I personally try holding it together so I can fix things rather than cry. I'm a little too old fashioned by which I've never seen my father cry except once at my sister's wedding. I use to cry all the fucking time in high school during my basketball days, but now I just don't want my daughter or fiance to see me lose it.

If you gotta cry though ... do your thing.

7. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I agree totally. I think that holding too much in can be harmful.

8. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The few times I, a young man, have shed tears is only during therapy sessions when telling the counselor my life stories.

Why must so much shit happen to me?

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

That was actually the last time I cried, which was well over a year ago.

10. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Yep

11. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I cried at the end of Six Feet Under, and for at least a few years I couldn't even listen to Sia's "Breathe Me" without my eyes getting troubled. However, I mostly credit that to the brilliance of the people behind the show (and of course the final episode), rather than anything to do with myself.

For that, my breaking point pretty much came when my aunt who I loved very much passed away a couple of years ago. Up until that point, I was always rather inexpressive when it came to showing feelings or whatever (not even really by choice), but at one point in the funeral I just broke down, and ever so often even the stupidest & most unrelated shit brings back those memories. I think this speaks to Team Jetfire's point earlier, and honestly I think its healthy. If people wanna make jokes & call me a pussy for saying that I've cried irl then so be it, but to me anyway, this whole "men don't cry" garbage is pretty much as outdated as stuff relating to all women being dumb outside of the kitchen & whatever.

Like, it's still funny don't get me wrong (especially well placed kitchen/sandwich jokes couse those are the best), but when I come across people who actually believe & stand by that shit, I can't help but feel like we're moving backwards in the world.

12. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I cry a lot when I was sad.

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

You truly are the King of kings.

14. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I cried at the end of Toy Story 3!

15. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

It's ok, gotta let it out somehow. Just not too much or you'll be a whiny baby.

There's also a difference beteen crying and tearing up. If you're going to straight out BAWL all the time then man up.
    Tearing up a bit to some movies is ok, as long as you have sniff control.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  16. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Crying's an emotional release, which is fine, but it doesn't really solve or resolve any issues. But it, like anything else, is a case-by-case matter.

Am I going to break down and cry because I pile of work building up and I can't get relief from coworkers or my boss(es)? No.

Did I break down and cry when my friend died of leukemia when we were 22? Yeah.

And the same goes for the "crying over a girl" question, it's situational. I've been with my girlfriend for over 4 years now, so if she were to try to break up with me, then yes- I'd get pretty emotional about that.

I wouldn't if we had only been dating a couple months.

There's nothing wrong with crying, sometimes you simply need the emotional release. Sometimes though, you just need to suck it up resolve the issue, because crying doesn't help it one way or another.

EDIT: And anyone who didn't tear up at the end of Toy Story 3 has no soul.

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Women are more equal to men these days than they were back then, and they still cry all the time. Like little girl.

So since it's ok for them, then it's ok for men.

18. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    In my profession, I've seen more men cry than you might think. The sudden loss of close friends and comrades is a terrible thing - as is the loss of lives you're responsible for. No matter how well you train and prepare, lives are going to be lost in horrible incidents and I've seen men who you'd never thought capable of emotion shedding tears - some silently, some fighting to choke back the sobs. Nothing shameful in that.

In fact, I see nothing shameful in tears at any significant emotional event. Sometimes tears are appropriate.

19. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Absolutely okay to cry. This "Nope." bullshit I keep reading makes me worry about those people. Sounds like a psychopath.

20. Eigo Risu

Eigo Risu Less than meets the eye

Ebay:
    The end of Breakfast at Tiffany's gets me the same way the end of Toy Story 3 seems to get you lot. can't say i've ever cried at anything 'real-life' though; emotionally speaking I am quite reserved (read: stunted), and more than anything I tend to just clam up and go even more introspective than normal. possibly this is a bad thing, as i do tend to suffer from depression quite a bit now as a result of some difficult experiences with 'family' a few years ago.

I don't have any problem with it in theory though, it's just me.