Is it normal to want a repaint, even if you own the original?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Medri Fogmatio, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Medri Fogmatio

Medri Fogmatio Autobot

Hi TFW05,

My name is Medri, and I have an addiction probl- oh wait... wrong place

My name is Medri, and I want Botcon 2010 Turbomaster (Scorch).

I am not interested in any way of completing a series, so it wouldn't be for collecting an entire line of transformers.

I already own CHUG Hound, and I am VERY happy and I love the figure, I have NO complaints to it at all, it's my favorite CHUG line figure.

but... the colors, the personality to Scorch..... I don't know

I really want, but I don't think the price justifies for a repaint of a mold I already own..

(I also have the same problem with Shattered Glass Optimus, but it's MOTHERF-CKING SHATTERED GLASS OPTIMUS)

Please post your same issues (and if you have a Turbomaster (Scorch) that you're willing to part with for cheap, PM Me)

2. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Don't listen to all those psycho's telling you that repaints are wrong. They can be very right. If you want it, buy it.

3. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, the only repaint I have (not including Energon Bruticus Maximus's limbs, since those are sort of required) is the running change variant of Transmetal 2 Prowl (well, technically, I got the running change first). I got it because I loved the toy and knew I had to get the other version (this was from playing around with it for only a couple of minutes-though to be fair I'd been wanting the toy itself for a lot longer than that).

Now my situation is a little different from yours (I only paid $20 combined for the two), but I don't think it's weird to want a repaint of a mold you really like.

4. Medri Fogmatio

Medri Fogmatio Autobot

It's just... I am having a hard time telling myself that I should want that figure.

Because Honestly, I don't know much about Turbomaster (Scorch). I just like how he looks.

However with Hound, I like the personality and who he is.

It's just hard for me to say and pay $60 for a figure that is about $30 in my mind.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    nothing wrong with wanting a repaint heck once in a while a repaint is better than the original for example the wal-mart exclusive G1 color Universe Powerglide.

6. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Repaints are fine if you like them. Sometimes they're unavoidable anyway since some characters are always repaints.

7. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light TFW2005 Supporter

Nothing wrong in buying repaints.
    Sure there is alot of diffrent opinions on what a good repaint is..

I do for example quite like Animated repaints; Atomic Lugnut is neat :3

8. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    If you really like a repaint, then go for it. It's not a bad thing, and if no one bought them they wouldn't sell them.

Personally, I like different characters, even if they're straight repaints. Gotta catch 'em all! :D 

The only time I would be interested in the (admittadly not as common now) "Superlaser Ironhide" (or whatever nonsense they slap in front of the name) would be if the colours are an improvement on the original - for instance Toxic Oil Slick from Animated.

Which is STILL UNRELEASED. And probably never will be.

It sucks to be an Oil Slick fanboy.

:'(

In Scorch's case, you also have to consider exclusivity. Is the redeco attractive enough for you to pay the extra premium that a Botcon figure commands? Sadly, I can't help there. I would buy it, but I like fanwank homages, so that's an extra incentive for me.

You have to decide if he's worth that extra price - if he's nice enough to command the extra cost, or if it will be made up for by the fact that he's a rare exclusive figure.

Bit more complicated than Toxic Oil Slick, really. :D 

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yes. It is VERY normal.

The fandom needs to drop the mentality that repaints (redecos) are some how a bad thing unless G1 did it first. Hasbro already has, and is even improving on the concept by planning ahead and making the retools along with the originals. Really giving the most bang for your buck.

10. Medri Fogmatio

Medri Fogmatio Autobot

Yea, It bites for you because of that... but..

I mean, if there was a CHEAPER Turbomaster I'd be more willing to pay. But $60 is the lowest you can get right now. It's ... Ridiculous.

It is just hard to justify it.

11. Medri Fogmatio

Medri Fogmatio Autobot

Retools I don't count as repaints.

when you look at Turbomaster, it's the same exact mold, different colors.

12. Sangron

Sangron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    only for the right price

13. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I love repaints. LOVE 'em. Dearly. Sure there are some bad ones (hell, there are some downright awful ones) but I think on the whole Hasbro/Takara do a fantastic job getting the most out of their repaints.

I have no problem with owning multiple upon multiple versions of a mold, and I like seeing the different feel that a mold can be given with just a new paint scheme. I also like having a "matched set" of figures, sharing the same mold but in a rainbow of colors.

The fact that many modern molds are being developed with repaints already in mind from the get-go (instead of just being cash-grab afterthoughts), well, that's just icing on the cake.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  14. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    60 for a botcon redeco isn't that bad, i love repaints as long as they are different characters. the "tuner mudflaps" of the world can stay on the shelf along with the 100+ movie bbs, but something like scorch is a good reason to get one

15. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This, besides sometimes repaints are much more interesting than the original. :2c: 

16. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Some redecos are just plain better than the originals. I wanted Universe Darkwing WAY more than I wanted Silverbolt. I had Hardhead -before- I had Onslaught, but I still went back and bought Onslaught. Botcon toys are never anything -but- redecos, but I'm usually very excited to get them (Flak was immensely better than Lemondrop... I mean Dropshot).

Redecos are an inevitable part of this franchise, so you have to learn to live with them (or save money and not buy them), but you'll be much happier about it if you end up honestly liking the redecos.

17. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Seekers!!!

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That's not what I was saying. I was just making a general point that repaints are nowadays being planned ahead, and the increasing number of retools planend from teh beginning are a sign that the technique is being perfected.

And technically, they're not epaints. They're redecos.

As far as Turbomaster goes I don't know what you want me to say, I can't say "yeah go get him" I was just making a reply to your statement of wether or not it's okay to like redecos. (which is silly, it's okay to like anything as long as it doesn't hurt anyone)

19. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I've got quite the repaints from the movietoys..nothing wrong with that. Sometimes, a repaint is better than the original.

I REALLY like Hasbro's latest effort to use remolded heads! Instantly turns a robot into a very different looking character, which makes the appeal much bigger!

20. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I'd love to see a few HA Repaints.

HA Sideswipe repainted into blue tracks colors with a new head sculpt.

HA Barricade repainted into prowl.

HA Bumblebee into cliffjumper.

HA Jazz repainted into 1984 jazz colors white with racing decals.