Is it necessary ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by awesomem131, Jan 25, 2011.

1. awesomem131

awesomem131 Well-Known Member

Well the last 2 film toylines have had a gimmick in automorph and mechaLive so the question is do you guys think DOTM figures will have something similar and do you guys think it's necessary?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    We know they have something similar. MechTech. The only difference is it's moved off the body (leaving Transforming as the only integrated gimmick besides peg holes) and is only in the guns.

And Hasbro seems to think it's necessary, otherwise they wouldn't do it. They have the numbers, it's their call.

3. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I definitely think it's possible that the DotM toys will have a unifying gimmick of some sort. Given that the previous gimmicks have been housed in the main body of the figure, I think this time Hasbro might change things up by moving the gimmick into some sort of accessory (or accessories) for each figure. To keep with the "transformation" theme, these accessories would also be able to change into a couple of different forms, probably one that works with the vehicle mode and the other that works with the robot mode. To encourage collecting multiple figures, I'd bet these accessories will be cross-compatible with other figures in the line.

I'm just not sure what Hasbro would call these "mechanical technology" accessories, in the above scenario.

4. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    You, uh, don't pay attention to the forums do ya? Causes, it's been common knowledge for a while, that the new gimmick is called MechTech.

5. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Moderator

ROFL

6. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As the others have said, yes DOTM will have a gimmick. Now, without trying to derail the topic, I must ask my own "Is it necessary?" question:

Is it necessary for all Leader-class figures to be loaded with lights, sounds, and other electronic gimmicks?

Even though I've only recently started collecting, I've had an interest in a large Transformers figure for a while. Unfortunately, all the electronics have made me pass over the Leaders. Voyagers are the next best thing, as they're large-ish without all the lights and sounds of the Leaders.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    You have missed out on some truely exceptionally fantastic figures, then.

You know you can just, take out the batteries, right?

8. The F.N.G.

News Credits:
    Well I'd have missed them anyway, as by "recently" I meant within the past 6 months.

I know, I've considered it. But I would simply prefer a larger TF that was designed without any electronic gimmicks.

9. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It seams to me that hasbro has made a strong commitment to make the DOTM younger kid friendly. Even adult collectors struggled with some of the extremely complex molds of ROTF. Simpler transformations and giant guns will definetly make the toys easier for little ones to play with...and piss of alot of hard core fans evidently

10. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Personally, I wish they'd return to the MechAlive.

11. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Banned

Have you not been paying any attention to what's going on in TF news? MechTech, ring any bells?

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    You've still missed at least one must-have.

The thing is they're not, as many people often times errornously believe, just giant electronic boxes with half-assed TFs built around them. Leader Starscream doesn't even feel like he has electronics in him. Likewise with Leader Prime, though admittedly to a lesser extent.

13. The F.N.G.

News Credits:
    I guess I just have a different mindset towards TFs than most. First and foremost, I look at the figure as a Transformer, and electronics just don't interest me. I might seem crazy, but I prefer Voyagers over Leaders due to the lack of major gimmicks.

14. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The annoying thing is that Hasbro has the ability to produce much smaller electronic boxes but parent's complained back in the armada days to to stop using the smaller batteries and switch to the cheaper AAA's and AA's.

15. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually liked the gimicks from the other movie lines. But mech tech is just stupid.

16. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lol 

17. Suchus Prime

Suchus Prime Well-Known Member

Mech tech is actually my favorite thus far you can use it in both alt mode and robot mode, they are interchangable, and look really fun.

18. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

isnt transforming supposed to BE the gimmick?!?

19. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Banned

I'd have to disagree with this. The whole Mech Tech thing just looks God awful to me. The weapons are too large, they look terrible, and can you really see cars driving around with that shit on them? I'm just not sure about this.

Good point. When buying a Transformer, it's sort of seen as getting two toys in one. In the end I think it all boils down to SELL SELL SELL SELL!