Customs: Is it necessary to have a spray booth for airbrushing?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by mrclean08, Dec 28, 2008.

1. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

I'm looking into airbrushing my customs instead of brush painting. Was wondering if having a spray booth really makes the difference in having "cleaner" looking airbrush jobs. Do any of you guys recommend it?

My main thing why I want a spray booth is because it gets windy in my area and I can only paint outdoors. If I had something to somewhat contain my work, I think the spray mist would apply much cleaner. What are your thoughts on this?

2. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Encline or Sabrina would probably be able to answer this better than me, but I think the booths are a bit more about keeping your work area clean and the air not full of paint particles (and I suppose keeping some dust particles out of your working area too, but I think it's more the other way).

I've done a little airbrushing, and I've only set up like half-cut boxes as booths, but with no fan or vacuum system at all. It helped some, but you could still see plenty of paint in the air when I was done.

Some kind of booth for outdoors though would definitely be for the best, to fight the wind from diverting all your wonderful paints! I've seen some tutorials on making cheap, homemade booths, so you should track some of those down for sure!

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Necessary? Nope. ErechO did a good job of describing a lot though (Good job!).

4. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I spray my bottom and top coats in a cardboard box and have never head a problem. If you can afford and really want a nice spray booth go for it. If not, grab a box and get to work. :thumbs2: 

5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    This is what I use for spray booths. There's nothing like getting 'em for free at Walmart during stocking hours :) 

6. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    I'm actually in the middle of crafting my own spray painting booth. I'll post pics of it when I get done. It's pretty simple and easy to accomplish, especially if you have any leftover styrofoam from Christmas.

- Alty

7. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Mrclean08, I want a spray booth too!! I hate all the vapours floating around whenever I spray. My chest feels so heavy after every painting session. It sucks. I'm not exactly very handy with tools so I will definitely get one as soon as I can afford one. As to ur question of "cleaner" looking airbrush jobs, I doubt it will serve that purpose. Maybe it'll extend my lifespan for a couple of years though! Hehehe!

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I'd like to say that whatever you guys choose to use for sprays that you should always be in a place that is properly ventilated. Sabby, your post scares me some. Always be safe, Radicons! :wink: 

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    i would recommend one, but it's not necessary.

If sabby's post scares you SQ, you should see the crap I blow from my nose or cough up after 14 hours of painting in a zero ventilation garage. gah, few more days, and I hope to have a better condition to work in.

10. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    Yeah SQ. Unfortunately, FR's right. I've heard that certain paint and thinner fumes when taken in over a period can seriously damage our brain cells and increase our chances of cancer. Not that I wanna cause unnecessary alarm but some of the paints I use have such warnings. That's why I am hell bent in getting a spray booth as soon as the finances allow.

11. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you cant afford a spray booth right away you should definitely be working with a particle and air filter mask, they sell them at all Lowes and Home Depot's(Not sure what your equivalence to a hardware store that sells house paint Sabrina). I used to be in the same boat as F_R, come in from the garage after priming a few figures and I would sneeze black paint for a few days after. It is very bad for your health as your nose has plenty of places that can absorb the toxins from the residue stuck in your nose and not to mention anything that gets into your lungs(So says my doctor). So all of you get a mask please or we might have Radicons with lung or throat cancer in a few years.

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I tried spray painting once. Back in August. Aside from my lack of skill, I didn't particularly like the fumes. Granted, I had my windows open, used a mask, and sprayed my stuff in a box, but I'd rather just stick to brush painting. There are hardly any fumes to deal with and it's less of a mess IMO.

Figured I'd ask the sprayers how long you'd have to be around that stuff before you develop respiratory complications?

Also, is it silly of me to wear a mask and goggles even if I'm dremeling cured apoxie?

13. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have been told it depends on your body and its natural resistance to thing like that. Some can develop stuff within a few months others within a few years. Better to be safe than sorry. I think that anytime you are working with something that is creating particles in the air it is never a bad idea to wear a mask.

14. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

So the booth itself doesn't make the application of paint much more smoother? I always thought it had something to do with it. I guess what concerns me most when I paint outdoors is airflow. There is always some sort of breeze in my area, unless it's dead in the middle of summer. I'd like to be able to paint during any season.

I was thinking of getting something like this. I was thinking since it has the fans on the back, that it would prevent the loose particles from making my paint job look bumpy. Is orange peel caused by loose particles/dust in the air or is that an unrelated reason because of the mixture of paint?

[​IMG]

I was thinking since it has the fans on the back, that it would prevent the loose particles from making my paint job look bumpy. Is orange peel caused by loose particles/dust in the air or is that an unrelated reason because of the mixture of paint?

15. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That's not what causes orange peel. The booth just gets rid of the nasty paint vapors so you can spray indoors. Don't spray from too far away and don't put on heavy coats of paints.

16. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

Woah, indoors? So if I use the above shown spray booth and have the fan ventilation system hooked up to a window, I can spray paint in the comfort of my house?

17. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You do not need a booth unless you need airflow or protection from dirt in the air. Which is pretty rare.

BUT I MUST SAY THIS!!!

Wear a mask if it is not well ventilated

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!! THINNER WILL BE IN YOUR LIVER IN ABOUT 30 SECONDS AFTER CONTACT WITH YOUR SKIN. Try to keep as clean as you can.

18. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Orange peel is caused by paint not being wet enough when sprayed. So you have to find the fine line between wet and not to wet.

19. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    EEEUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 30 seconds??!!!?!?!?!?!! I feel sick...Also to add on to this discussion, I've recently had a word with a friend of mine. He's an airbrushing chap in the automobile industry. He was telling me that the most dangerous paint are those metallics. Those metallics have real metal particles that if inhaled will remain in the body for years. The body will just accumulate them until...well, you know. So please please wear a proper respirator if possible. I'm trying to look for a 3M one if possible.

Hey encline, any other tips/info about the hazards of airbrushing? I really wanna know.

20. luke4

luke4 crocon

so is that breathing it in or touching it.... i must have alot of that in my liver.