Is it me? Or.........

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Did TF1 have a lot more action than TF2? I mean, when I saw Transformers "One" in the movie theatre, I did NOT want to get off my seat. I think I was "crossing my legs" for half the movie! None stop action!
    But when I got TF2 on DVD, I found half of it pretty slow and, dare I say, boring?
    Makes me wonder what's in store for part three.

Do I need to go through part two again?

2. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you're a shit stirrer.

3. Screamer55

Screamer55 Well-Known Member

I immediately lolled after I read that!

I do agree with marcatron though...

4. Tigertrack

A SHIT STIRRER? What you mean by that?
    That sounds insulting. Oh well to each his own.
    I only mentioned it because it's on TV right now....................

5. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    TF2 had the writers strike to overcome, enough said.

6. Tigertrack

That makes sense.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't know I kind of think the first film did have it's slow points. Some of the stuff with the hackers wasn't really adding that much to the movie. When a joke didn't work the build up to the joke felt a bit like wasted time. Not even sure if we really needed all that flash back time with Sam's grandpa.

But I think what saves the flow of the first film over the second film is that things are just spaced out better. You don't really over stay any one part of the film so things never really have a chance to get old even if they don't work for you. Second film had more issues with pace so if there was something you didn't like it seemed to go on and on forever.

Plus the battle of Egypt sort of showed the problem with non-stop action. Yea as a concept it sounds like the more action the better, but at some point even action gets old. You really need a bit of a break from the action when your mind has so much to process in the action.

What's in store for the third film is anyone's guess at this point. Things could be better in the third film since they have two films worth of experience with Transformers under their belts or the rush for a summer 2011 release could cause more problems. At least with self contained films if the third film gets things right you can just watch the first and third films while skipping over the second film.

8. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I agree with the points made regarding the pacing. I haven't actually done this, but I expect that if you were to clock the time taken up by action scenes in each movie, TF2 would come out ahead.

On my first few viewings of each I was riveted. After having seen each countless times and looking back, though, while I think 2 has better action scenes overall and is more "epic" in scope, it also has the moving to college nonsense at the beginning and the time from the end of the forest battle to when Screamer finds the group in Egypt. Those chunks are very, very slow and in several cases unnecessary drags in the story to me (save for Soundwave/Ravage/et al. and Jetfire's sequences).

9. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I think a big part of it for the first film was that it did something that not a lot of people ever saw done before in a movie. It was the first live action Transformers film. Just being that gave it more of a wow this is awesome factor.

I think what took that away from ROTF was the almost nonexistent plot. Even with the hacker sub plot that went nowhere in the 2007 film, the first movie's story still felt more solid then ROTF did. We at least knew what the overall goal was with the first one, while in ROTF the overal goal got a little convoluted.
    A loose plot can really ruin the overall feel of a film. Even if it does have some kickass fight scenes.

10. Tigertrack

Maybe I'll try and watch the second one again. But felt more like I just had to get the disk to complete the collection to add to my growing TF collection.
    I enjoyed watching bit's of the first movie on TV last night, but seen enough of it I didn't need to complete watching it.
    I'll pop in the second one sometime this weekend.

11. springerbee

springerbee Well-Known Member

Neither of the movies had non-stop action

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    No, it just had the action spaced differently.

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I think mostly it's the fact that the slow parts of ROTF are agonizing. Don't get me wrong, I am an ROTF apologist, but I still have to acknowledge that the stuff with Leo and the twins, tracking down Simmons, etc - those parts don't have the sense of impending awesomeness as the slow parts in TF. Plus, the humor tends to not work well and make you uncomfortable as you sit and wonder why you needed to see John Turturro's ass cheeks. I think the slow parts just seem longer in ROTF.

14. Ash from Carolina

Revenge of the Fallen did seem to have a lot of long action sequences so if you were to add all the action time up I'd also guess that it had more action time than the first film.

You've got all that action in China, kitchen bots tearing up the house, action with Ravage getting into the base, the pretender chasing Sam and his friends, the big forest battle, plus all that action in Egypt.

Plus it seems like the second film had more robots in action at once than the first film did. Not sure how you figure that into the math of the action, but it's far more complex action than just one on one fights.

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    That's a cop-out.

Much of what O & C has written without a writers strike induced time crunch has been sub par.

TF was lazily written, Star Trek was a celebration of mediocrity, Eagle Eye was lame.

Heck, I'll go so far as to say that ROTF was one of their better efforts.

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

Hey I can't tell, forgive me if this is a well known fact, are Orci and Kurtzman a couple? Like, a coupling, a pairing?

17. sideswipe89

sideswipe89 Beachcomber

News Credits:
    Actually, I kind of liked the one-on-one fights they had in the first movie. I felt they were more initmate and they showcased the autobots fighting the decepticons, especially the mission city battle. I felt more like each transformer had their moment to shine, where as in ROTF many were relegated to the backround. But yeah, the second one definitely had more action but at times it kind of fell flat.The first one may have had less action, but it seemed like it was more worth while and engaging. Thats just my thoughts...

18. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    I still love Revenge of the Fallen but the more I watch it, the more "iffy" it seems. The second half of the movie, after Optimus is killed, is just too slow and has too much unnecessary humor. However, all the action scenes and the final battle, make up for that mess IMO. Especially the forest fight, which I can watch over and over and over again in surround sound w/HD.

19. Ash from Carolina

I think you may be on to something there. The camera was back more this time, the camera didn't move around as much, the shots were clearer, the lighting was better, but the fight choreography just seemed a bit off compared to the first film.

20. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    its the pacing, not necessarily the lesser amount of action.

after the forest fight, nothing really happened in Egypt until starscream spotted the autobots on the road That was a long 45 minutes of no action

The pacing on Transformers 1 was perfect. I never once wanted to look at my watch