Is it me or did Optimus disappear for about 15 minutes during the third act?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Santoanderson, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Santoanderson

Santoanderson Well-Known Member

So Prime and the rest of the Autobots enter the city and Shockwave's graboid knocks Prime's trailer away. Prime says something like "I can't fly without my trailer!" and for the next 10 minutes, no Prime. The autobots are fighting on their own; the skyscraper jack-knifes; and Prime finally shows up, kills the worm, and gets tangled up in some wiring, the Wreckers help to free him.... and he disappears for another 10 minutes, during which time the Autobots are captured and Q dies. What the hell?

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    10 minutes to get the trailer and 10 more to get him out, simple as that.
    The reason for the trailer is because of the fact that he had to wait for the autobots, the reason for the wreckers is that they had to climb to get him free.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I thought Prime was more of the focus if anything.

4. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I found it pretty hilarious how he spent about 10 minutes hanging upside down tangled up in wires.

Not exactly what you'd expect from the Autobots' greatest hero in earth's darkest hour.

5. Santoanderson

Santoanderson Well-Known Member

"OH NOES! MY ONLY WEAKNESS! WIRES!"

It felt like a really silly obstacle. Take those ten minutes and have him fight something, or have him tear through an army of Decepticons. Having him getting tangled up in a couple of wires seemed like a really lazy way to separate him from the others.

6. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Well, perhaps it takes awhile to get him all suited up?

I don't know.

7. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    God, the sequencing of this movie was just horrendous. If you thought Optimus' haphazard appearances were bad, what about Shockwave? He disappears for practically the entire movie before showing up during the climax. What the hell is up with that?

8. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    my only deal with it was it just didn't seem like the sort of thing that happens to Optimus Prime. Kinda humiliating. I could see it happening to Starscream or one of the Twins, but surely Optimus has more dignity than that.

And not that it bothers me, but did he lose his energon sword and axe? Or was there a reason he couldn't cut himself down?

9. Jlogano20

Jlogano20 Speed Gunner

News Credits:
    he went into the robo bathroom hello he need privacy to get suited up

10. springerbee

springerbee Well-Known Member

well, it gave the Wreckers a little more to do

11. AnithaPrime

AnithaPrime TURDUKEN

this. i thought it was quite humorous myself, even though i would have liked it much more if he was out fighting.

12. Infinity Blade

Infinity Blade Some guy

I don't know, I thought it seemed clear. Prime specifically told the Wreckers to create a diversion, the NEST crew split off to make a play at the Space Bridge, and the remaining Autobots tried pushing through the 'Con forces but were inevitably overwhelmed.

While the Wreckers were distracting Shockwave, Prime went to grab his trailer. At the same time, NEST, Sam, and Carly were going up the building and all that stuff went on until Shockwave caught notice of the building, and...

Hey, metal snake time.

13. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    He got preoccupied when he found a Halloween/Costuming specialty store in the downtown section of Chicago.

14. parrothead

parrothead Well-Known Member

The book goes on about how he had to fight like 5 guys to get to the trailer, that would have been great to see. The book was really alot better than the movie.

15. Epsilon

Epsilon Autobot Archivist

I felt so bad for him when this happened. You could see it coming when he was flying towards the cranes, and even after he got tangled it looked like he was almost going to free himself. Could have done without this scene, but since we're stuck with it I honestly think it would have been better if he had only been momentarily stymied by those wires rather than hang helplessly upside down for 10 whole minutes.

I understand if Bay was using that as a way to take Prime out of the fight for a few minutes, perhaps as a way to give the other Autobot's screen time and the chance to shine as they took out a few Decepticons by themselves, but there had to be a better and certainly more dignified way of doing that. When I realized that he really was stuck upside down and nope he wasn't going to cut himself free (still don't understand why he couldn't have done that) I just had to mentally shake my head at Bay and say, really now? really? Being betrayed and exiled wasn't enough? You need to put him through this BS now too, Bay?

16. fallen_revenge

fallen_revenge Movie News Addict News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    We couldn't he just slice threw the wires?

17. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought this was cool, not "embarrassing." If his arms were tangled then of course he couldn't get free.

What made it awesome was that we just saw Optimus murder a bona fide giant monster with his awesome jetpack of doom...and then Shockwave casually shoots him out of the air. The Wreckers become occupied getting him free...which neatly halves the numbers of the Autobots and allows for their easy capture.

One of the best things about the battle was the way it swung back and forth like that. (JUST LIKE PRIME LOLOL)

18. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

I wanted to see a little more of Optimus, but we already know he's badass. It can live with it so other Autobots can kick ass too.