Is it just me, or is Bay really bad at transitions?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Fifam94, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Fifam94

Fifam94 Well-Known Member

TF1: Barricade vs Bumblebee chase, it goes from day to night in a matter of minutes (I know it's a time lapse, but he did a bad job at it).

Tf2: Megatron suddenly emerging from the ocean. . . Only to fly to Saturn in a matter of seconds (Again, bad time lapse).

Tf3: Sentinel says "seal off the city". . . City goes dark and Con ships come out of nowhere, in my opinion, the worst transition of the 3 movies.

Anyone else agree?

2. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    1. Just a long chase. Barricade is able to keep up with Bumblebee for a few hours, simple as that.
    2. We really don't know where the Nemesis is. For all we know, Earth is near Saturn in the geographic mess called Bayformers.
    3. Um. Is there something wrong with a time skip? Obviously Sentinel and Megatron summoned the Decepticons to Chicago, and by nightfall they began their slaughter.

3. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

If transitions had explosions he'd be great at them.

4. adamid4

adamid4 Well-Known Member

Transitions that bothered me:
    ROTF: Ironhide goes from driving to shooting out the wheel of Demolisher or Scavenger, also the one you noted was a bit odd.

DOTM: No set up to the autobots getting captured, and Megatron going from commanding decepticon ships and "RAISE THE BRIDGES! FIND THEM!", to sulking in a random alley. I wasn't as much bothered by the city invasion one.

5. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Those particular transitions didn't bother me. The chase was going on for quite some time, Megatron was making a beeline for space once he was revived, and the Decepticon forces we saw warp to Earth "sealed off the city" like Sentinel ordered. Nothing awkward there.

Now the kill main villain->Optimus's speech->credits transitions bug me, and both RotF and DotM had those.
    EDIT: As does these:

6. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

There's a lot of bad editing in these movies. I know he puts a lot of work in the actual spectacle, but that doesn't mean that you can't make them flow better from scene to scene.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Transitions have never been a strong point of Micheal Bay movies. For all the attention and detail that goes into an action scene sometimes it just feels like he's slapping bits of film together in the editing room without rhyme or reason.

Sort of like in Dark of the Moon where you have to go wait shouldn't there be some sort of scene where the Decepticons capture the Autobots? Is that scene sitting on the cutting room floor somewhere?

8. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    The ones listed had some jarring moments... I think they all have merit, being that his movies always feel like he's cut vital scenes. I think, honestly, he puts even less effort into Transformers, because he knows, for the most part, the action set pieces will bail him out.

Yes Bay is bad at transitions. I think it's his habit to rush through things, and when you do that, you'll have a film that feels herky jerky and like it's missing scenes.

9. adamid4

adamid4 Well-Known Member

This really makes me think scenes like that were cut for time restraints, and instead they left in 10 min of skydiving into the city. While that was impressive as a none effect sequence it seemed way to overemphasized compared to things that would have helped the overall flow of the movie.

10. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

Yeah, those sucked. It could have been a little more realistic, but I guess those were the moments in the editing room where Bay decided to cut out footage, and reduce the overall length of the films.

11. tpainzbro

tpainzbro Well-Known Member

Bay does edit his films weird. For example every 2-3 cuts the sun is setting. Though it looks cool it really throws me off.

12. LacksAFace

LacksAFace Devastator's Balls

I admit, I would've enjoyed 6 hours of Barricade chasing Bumblebee. Or a day or two of watching Megatron fly through space.

13. AquamanOS

AquamanOS Well-Known Member

It also appeared that the Sam gets followed by Bumblebee, then harassed by Barricade, then saved by Bee and chased by Barricade, takes place over the course of an entire day, as Sam seems to be getting up at the beginning of those scenes and it's mid evening by the time Barricade is down and the other autobots are landing.

But that doesn't quite seem right, as that would suggest Bee followed Sam on the bike for hours upon hours.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Afterall Sentinel goes on the rampage, the scene afterwards cuts to Sam's Parents.

Like WTF? You went from the darkest part to the film to the most unneccesarry stupidest part afterwards.

15. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    For those that didnt like the editing how would you fix it? (Barricade chase, flying to Nemesis, seal off the city, etc.)

16. NoleScream

NoleScream The Anti-Troll

If you watch the special features, Bay acknowledges the Ironhide issue. They just ran out of time / money to do that, but he did have an animatic of it, much like there was an animitic of the fembots combining into their hodgepodge of crap to shot at Sideways. Thankfully they replaced that with Sideswipe killing him.

17. NoleScream

NoleScream The Anti-Troll

You have a good point. I can excuse it in my head, because as a teenager, morning to me was about 3pm. :) 

18. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I posted it once, I'll post it again.

[​IMG]

19. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with your reasoning for the first one but not with the other two. The scene in RotF was just bad jump cuts by the editor. they tried to shorten Megatron going to the Nemesis as much as possible(probably to avoid extra CGI in my opinion) which resulted in an awkward transition. That whole scene was simply bad editing.

With DotM, it had numerous fade outs/in at pointless points in the film that didn't help to motivate what was going on on screen. It was actually jarring and distraction for me to watch. That again was bad editing, probably because, imo, they had extra footage/content they couldn't or chose not to include which resulted in awkward transitions.

20. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    The scene that bothered me in the Movie 1 was:

The beginning scene where Blackout is flying through the desert, you can tell it's daylight at it's peak. Then when he shows up to the base in Qatar, it's dark, when he transforms it's pitch dark, but yet you can see when Lennox is with his wife via facetime, it's late afternoon and the sun is out.

The other scene in Movie 1 is when Sam is driving his old yellow camaro with his buddy to the pool party scene. Pay close attention, when they are arriving to the pool party, you can tell it's real late in the afternoon, looks more like 5-6pmish, but when they arrive and get off the car, it's daylight at it's fullest, more like noon-1pm. :lol