Is it just me or are comics kinda slow lately...

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by tusko, Aug 22, 2007.

1. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Hi!
    Big comic fan here.
    I feel the comics industry is really slow for the past few months.
    I'm into Transformers but the movie comics didn't really do anything for me so there was no excitement there.
    War World Hulk is fizzling at issue #3... the mystic element is tough to relate to.
    Basically X-factor is what I am looking forward too with regularity.

There is lots of good stuff on the horizon but am I in a funk with the medium or does it seem like there is a 3 month holding pattern out there of filler?

Thanks

2. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    No, it's not you at all.

Within the last decade, comics have become a lot more popular in trade format. This allows people who like comics to not have to go to the comic store but to Barnes & Noble and places like Amazon to pick up their stuff. If you notice, most story arcs are now about 6 issues long, enough material to pad out a trade.

There's a huge "wait for the trade" mentality out there now among readers because the single issues are now being written in such a way that they will read better in one sitting instead of spread out over six months.

It's rather disgusting in my opinion but it's unfortunately the way things have progressed becuase a lot of the big name creators make most of their money off of royalties from trade sales.

3. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I appreciate the decompressed story telling. Honestly I've never bought a trade before a month ago when I bought Watchmen.

In any case, the stories out now either are late, or not pulling me in. My common sense voice is screaming, "Just don't buy them then!", However I have been a collector for many years and want to keep on going.

I was just wondering if I'm reading the wrong stuff. Or what is going on, since July was abysmal for any type of plot progression in just about all of the comics I buy.
    Incredible Hulk - nothing happened
    New Avengers - nothing happened (reallly)
    War World Hulk #3 - nothin' much to progress the story's resolution
    No rampaging transformers comics with the exception of Galvatron but that seems distant in my mind.
    The X-men comics I'm thinking of dropping entirely.
    Amazing Spiderman.... drawn out.

Captain America has good intrigue to it and X-Factor is stellar. She-Hulk is also fun.

Anyway the love just doesn't seem to be there.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  4. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I've noticed that too. Seems like TF comics are especially slow. The Megatron Origin isn't even showing up around here or on release lists.

5. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

I had already decided to dump any standard 32-page comic that was above $3. $4 is too much for something that takes 3-5 minutes to read. That's a movie or game rental. Three TF comics translates into a movie & pizza for me & the g/f.

Then I started weeding out titles one-by-one. Was every arc too slow? It was cut. Was it always late? Gone. Too many fill-in issues? Gone.

I'm down to Justice Society as my sole monthly comic, because it's actually worth reading every month and because (including the All-Star Archives) I have a complete run of JSA comics. Unless Judd Winnick takes over the book, I'm sticking with it.

6. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've noticed Comic Books are have gotten a bit sluggish as of late. Ultimate Spider-Man used to be quick when it came to releasing the next issue(s) of their series (Unless I was imagining things). Now it takes them nearly forever to release one.

Trade Paperbacks are a convenient and less expensive alternative to buying comic books for the audience that feels they shouldn't have to pay $2.00 to $3.00 or more dollars each for a issue of a comic book series that comes out every month. I honestly like both methods of buying comics; especially if you never got the chance to read a series you were interested in and no one seems to have Back-Issues of a series you want to read. (For instance, I there was this TOP-COW series called Out There I wanted to read, but I couldn't find any back issues. I found at least one TPB for the first couple of issues.) They also resurrect elder comic book series that would be harder to get because of their collectors status (or out of print-ness). Who wants to pay $100,000 for a single #1 issue of Captain America, when you can just get it in a TPB?

Transformers Comics should be especially slow in the Trade-Paperback business, given how much they price the dang things. I mean, MARVEL and DC COMICS are kinder to you than whichever publisher is releasing Transformer Comics. They sell their TPB's for at least $13.00 unless its a Hardback edition. I picked up four Transformers TPB's (Escalation, TF:TM 20th Aniversary Edition comic, Spotlight, and 07 Movie Prequel TPB) from my not-so-local-bookstore and my jaw nearly dropped at the $20.00 price tags they had below their barcodes. What the heck man?

7. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I agree with about the "slower" storylines from the big two. I find the independant stuff from smaller companies to be better paced these days, maybe its time for you to brouse the racks and see if anything out of the ordinary (non Marvel or DC) strikes your fancy.

8. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    That is because there have been stretches of time where Ult Spidey would come out bi-weekly. For a few years it was averaging about 18 issues a year. So if it felt like it was coming out all the time, it was :D  It's funny Mark Bagley can produce 18 issues a year when some guys can barely get out six and we have delays galore anymore.

9. Witwicky Camaro

News Credits:
    Qui-Qui. Good to know I wasn't Imagining things.

10. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Yea, they have been. but that's because there are no "hype" stories now. Countdown is sucking something awful, WW Hulk is lackluster compared to Planet Hulk, Initiative was a way to launch new titles and try bringing people to others but that fizzled. There are really no big stories but rather big names attached to books.

Why do people buy Superman? Busiek ,Johns, and Donner are writing them.
    Batman? Lubert, Morrison, Dini
    Spidey? JMS, PAD
    Avengers? Bendis, Cho

The only story I enjoy is Sinestro War.
    The only books I really enjoy right now are Ghost Rider, Detective Comics, aand Iron man. But the last one is flawed from my standpoint (heh). Otherwise I get them more out of habit and enjoying them "just enough" not to drop.

11. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, it's not you at all, I've been feeling the same way. With the exception of the Sinestro Corps War, there's nothing out there right now that interests me enough to bother with buying single issues and there's very little that interests me in trades. I refuse to buy anything from 616 Marvel after that Civil War nonsense (and with Skrullapalooza Retconfest on the horizon), the Ultimate universe is worse (IMO) and the only good idea they had (Marvel Zombies) was run into the ground. Except for the Sinestro Corps, mainline DC isn't doing anything interesting, just making their continuity even more confusing and retconning out the last 20 years to bring back the Silver/Bronze Age. Once SCW wraps up, I'm done with collecting monthly comics and will just stick to trades for the IDW TF stuff.

And pad it out, they do. I really can't stand this decompression trend that's gotten so popular in comic writing in recent years. For instance, Ultimate Spider-Man has a lot of neat ideas that I really want to like, but the arcs are so dragged out, it's a bore to read. Going back to re-read some of my stuff from the '80s, it's amazing how much more material was packed into each issue, comparing comics with the same number of pages. Stuff released lately seems thin by comparison and doesn't provide enough reading time for the money; any standard-size Big Two comic is no more than a 10 minute read for me (including SCW, sadly). I understand 'writing for the trades', but I wish writers would err on the side of too much happening in one story (Morrison's JLA run, for instance) rather than stretching out maybe 2 - 3 issues of actual content into a six issue arc.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  12. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

I didn't know there was one by Top Cow...i know there was one by Wildstorm's Cliffhanger imprint. It was Humberto Ramos.

but for comics being slow...i think it has to do with the price...TPB is way cheaper to buy than individual issues

13. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree with. The main reason why I prefer trades is because I prefer to read all my comics in 1 setting...and another advantageI find with trades is that they're more "durable" i.e. less prone to damage to comics.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    guys like frank miller and alan moore exemplified good use of the so called decompressed storytelling (i like to thim of them as cinematic style visual storyboarding) but its gotten out of hand thanks to lesser writers.

giffen has a good say here:

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/wizard/005639514.cfm

15. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

Monthly comics are not supposed to be "widescreen movies in print". Monthly means that they're episodic, like television. Sopranos told a whole story each week and made each story part of a larger story arc. You can enjoy an episode for it's story or watch the whole season on DVD and enjoy that bigger picture. Until monthlies are totally replaced by annual or biannual trades, more comic writers need to get that fact into their skulls.

16. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    So I can appreciate all these format and story telling schticks.... and I'm not bashing the writers here.

Its the editorial organization of almost all the comics I read has put all this filler out at the same time. Nothing is happening in any of the stories. I feel no excitement going to comic book store and picking up my comics and less anticipation for the next issue. Grr...

Also I wonder how complete a story would be if you just bought issues #1,6,7,12, 13, etc....

17. Witwicky Camaro

News Credits:

Okay, So I checked out Humberto Ramos' bio on Wikipedia and you were right, I had a set of crossed wires there with whom released Out There #1–18 (2001–2003). It was Cliffhanger and not Top Cow. [Shrugs]

18. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Ah, I loved Ramos' run on Spider-man. He made it fun and cartoony like it should be. I enjoy Romita Jr's art but seriously, it's just to dark for Spidey. When he was on DD, it fit perfectly but when he was on Spidey for the Clone Saga time, I couldn;t feel it. Thank god they had bagley doing Amazing during that time to balance out my opinions.

19. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

I'd agree that Moore and Miller (to some extent--All Star Batman and DK2 seem a lot more stretched out compared to, say, DKR) did pretty well with this.

IIRC, Geoff Johns didn't like that Marvel forced him to stretch out an Avengers storyarc, indicating that there was some sort of mandate to stretch stories out to fit them into the TPB format.

20. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

yeah i hate to say it but i just dont look forward to wednesdays like i used to