Is it just me (Leader ROTF Jetfire)...?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by _Galvatron_, Jan 5, 2010.

1. _Galvatron_

_Galvatron_ Emperor of Destruction

During Christmas, I saw ROTF Leader Jetfire at $35 at China-Mart, and I declined to pick him up.

Now, he is back to $40 again after the holidays. I wouldn't buy him for even $5...he does nothing for me.

Say what you will about ROTF Leader Megatron, but at least his tank mode is pretty badass. But I can't stir up the want to buy a Jetfire. The alt mode is kibble-tastic, and I am not one to really complain about kibble very often. His robot mode looks, to put it bluntly--like crap. His combined form with Prime not only does not even remotely resemble the CGI model, but it looks stupid to boot. An amazing feat, really.

I anxiously await the upcoming Leader Starscream and Bumblebee (Yeah, I'll gladly buy it!), but Leader Brawl Jetfire ain't.

I love collecting the Leaders from the new films, but I feel no love for this guy. Am I the only one?

2. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I caved in and bought him some time ago. He's far from perfect, but I like him now. You can get his robot mode in some pretty good poses, it's just too bad he has those big booster kibble and stuff on his arms (oh and the blue plastic).

In jetmode..yeah he is just a jet with an entire robot on his underside, unfortunately. Still, looking at him from the top it's a pretty sweet SR-71.

I think Megatron's tank mode is ten times worse..doesn't look like the real thing at all.

I have to agree though that Starscream (and probably Bumblebee, but we haven't seen real toy shots and alt mode pics yet) will be alot better than either Jetfire and Megatron.

Maybe someday Jetfire will become cheaper and he will be worth picking up for you?

3. _Galvatron_

Nah, Jetfire would bring down my collection. I have no love for this figure.

If he were more of a PartsFormer (Think G1 Omega Supreme), his combination with Leader Prime would look less silly. I would buy it for just that.

Alas, even the combined form is an attrocity worse than merging Ratchet with Megatron.

So much potential, wasted.

4. swampflight

swampflight Banned

On the fence.....

I agree with both points,its a cool looking figure but I wouldnt pay more than $20.00 for it.

5. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

and I agree with Galvatron; i would rather spend money on Megatron than Jetfire. At least Megatron has 2 convincing modes, while Jetfire (I dont even like that "old guy" apreach they did in the movie) has some serious issues, design wise.

6. ROTF Sideswipe

ROTF Sideswipe Scientist

Hm hm hm hm.

Have you tryed Peaugh's way of combining Prime amd Jetfire?

Also, I have been a huge fan of Jetfire and am not passing judgement until I see him in person.

7. _Galvatron_

I have watched all of Peaugh's TF reviews. No "interpretation" can save the horrible design. I have seen Jetfire in person...Just lame.

At least I have Leader Starscream and Bumblebee to look forward to.

Jetfire looks great to me on paper: SR-71 alt mode (We were all drooling when we first heard this), combines with Prime, defects from the Decepticons...but what we got charachter and especially toy-wise, was such a damn downer.

8. ROTF Sideswipe

ROTF Sideswipe Scientist

I'm looking forward to Screamer too. He looks damn good from where I'm sitting. Bee too.

9. rhapsodyred99

rhapsodyred99 Well-Known Member

the takara one that comes packaged with facemasked Busterprime is loads better color wise than hasbro.

I personally like his robot mode, kibble and all.

His jet mode is pretty bad ass from the top to about 1/4 down but once you get into the side and bottom its basically a robot on the bottom of a plane, much like ultimate Silverbolt, but worse.

I got the hasbro one for 35 bucks, and have recently replaced him with the takara version. Hasbros is combining with faceplate buster ATm, with normal buster being in truck and bot mode as well. (yes I have 3 busters what can I say love the paint apps and the mold)

I would never pay anything for leader megs. That guy is rubbish. Sad theat megs leader mold from both movies has to blow so much. (Voyager ROTF megs however was an instant buy)

10. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I paid $88 (that's still $10 off :( ) for him and was rather disappointed. I like his robot mode, but as a Transformer toy, he isn't fun at all. I like kibble when they can be lined up nicely (as in Mach Kick), but Jetfire's panels are simply annoying.

The reason I picked him up was that I wanted to see how black version of Prime look combined (since that's the idea of that repaint), and the combined mode didn't impress me much either while looking very cool. Jetfire strapped on Prime's back isn't exactly combining, and the only part they actually combine (legs) just kill the figure's articulations. Oh well.

11. Zress Tayasu

Zress Tayasu Axiom

I hear so much bemoaning of how jetfire's altmode is OMFG KIBBLE! but stop and think about an SR-71 for a minute. there's not really anywhere in it to shove 90% of a robot that size. particularly not at toy scale. as planes go, it's like three pencils and a sheet of cardstock. as much as was most likely lost for the stupid light/sound gimmickry, even I have to admit that there's only so much that can be done with the amount of space available.

12. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not a ton of fun from a play standpoint, perhaps, but a pretty neat Transformer... creative, well-engineered, and complex, just the way I like it!

13. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

Well, three things:

1) The blue plastic makes him look a lot worse than he is. Paint him matte black and drybrush him with a dark silver and you're in good shape.
    2) Two mods improve him immensely: the knee mod (which lets him stand up without looking hunched over and be more stable), and the arm kibble mod (where you remove the cockpit halves and attach them to the backpack kibble).
    3) With the size of the SR-71 (long, thin, not a lot of room) I'm not surprised by the underbody kibble. From the top, it's a great looking representation of the plane. From the bottom, obviously, there will be issues, but it still doesn't look that bad.

All in all, with a little work, it's not a bad toy.

14. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only reason I bought him was so I could combine him with Prime, and he sucks at doing that too.

15. Tell_Story

Tell_Story Well-Known Member

I picked him up in early October for $37.10. My first impression after the movie came out on dvd was, "Oh my he does have the boosters on his back in the movie!" Oh well! And I can't expect anyone to like the kibble on the bottom right. So, the main reason I got him was to combine with Prime. I'm not fond of the old man portrayal, they could have done it better. I would have rather have a solid snakeyes type Jetfire from the G1 series, a stealthy warrior. That way he could come back for the next movie,

Anyways, a couple of weeks ago I got Jetfire on the lighting deal for $22.99 and returned the perfectly unopened one I bought at Wal-Mart a few months prior.

16. Dally

Dally Decepticon

Ebay:
    His kibble in alt mode is distracting, but I really like his robot mode and his jet kibble actually looks good in robot mode. When tweaked just right, I think combined mode with Prime looks awesome. My Jetfire and Prime have been combined on my shelf for a few months now and I still love them.

17. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I'm staggered that, more than 25 years later, we've got a toy that deals with it's alt mode worse than a Gobot:
    [​IMG]
    I'm not bashing the Gobots, by the way. But I would expect a Leader class toy to be better than a minibot-sized toy from the early '80s.

18. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

snoop was a particularly excellent gobot though - his robot mode even looked vaguely like a robot, which made a nice change. he reminds me of lockdown for some unknown reason.

regardless, ROTF jetfire is a waste of space.

19. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    So...I take it that I am the only person in the world that likes Leader Jetfire? I think he is cool. No complaints on my end.

20. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thenatureboywoo, i didnt wanna be the first to chime in. but i really like jetfire in both modes, jet mode is awesome, i mean if he wasnt attached to the bottom of the plane he wouldnt exist, theres just no other place to put that much robot without him hanging underneath. and also, in bot mode, hes hunched, has the cane, the scrappy face and the scratched out emblem...perfect representation in my opinion....there can always be improvements in all toys, yup..but im satsified with this one.