Is it Illegal to Ship G1 Megs in Gun Mode?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tampalicious, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

Does the post office use X-rays and stuff?
    Because its safer for Megs to mail him as a gun, but dont they check for that stuff?
    Would I be wise to warn them it is a toy gun robot??

thanks. BTW, the old bastard isnt for sale just yet, but he probably will be, it wouldnt surprise me at this point

thanks

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I'm sure they don't use anything like x-rays. Once something is in the post and sealed up there really isn't much I imagine they can do.
    Of course they investigate any suspect looking parcels but as long as you don't put "gun" or anything on the customs form if you're sending overseas then it should all be gravy.

There are so many packages that pass through sorting offices and the like that it would be impossible to scan or check the contents of every one. Plus I'm sure if they did, this invasion of privacy it wouldn't go down very well with their customers.

3. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    G1 Megatron, being made before all the gun laws changed, is sort of "grandfathered" past the laws, which allows him to be sold in comic and hobby shops and whatnot. However, not everyone who's familiar with the toy's history knows that, so they might question it.

4. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

my stepmom thought it was real lol!

he was chillin in gun mode with his scope and barrel extension, probably on my stereo or somethin

couple weeks later, I get an after school special phone call, it was hilarious.

5. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I had something like that happen to me too, with my mother-in-law. My wife, when she still lived at home, bought me a G1 Megatron, and I had come over to get it and had it out to play - her mother came home and saw me holding it and messing with it and sort of gasped and quizzed us over it real fast. I reassured her real quick it was a toy robot.

6. zealottoyou

zealottoyou Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shipping domestically shouldn't be a problem since no post office have the right to open your package unless there is reasonable suspicion (i.e. ticking sound).

Internationally, I would say more than 50% of chances that custom will open the package to investigate so without the orange plug there could be some problem.

7. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Don't take the risk of shipping him in gun-mode - pack him tightly & ship him in bot-mode. From custom's point of view, it's a replica gun (right size & weight). To an over-zealous postal employee, an orange cap or not wouldn't make a difference.

About 2 years ago, A mate of mine bought a MIB Browning from Singapore and he got the seller to send him in 2 packages - one with Browning in botmode & the other package had the box/paperwork. Sure it's more expensive but you don't wanna take the risk. I wouldn't.

8. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop!

Illegal; not likely, but ill advised.

9. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ya, I mean it's a no brainer just send it in Robot Mode, the box might be bigger I guess?

Don't know how big he is, but it will still weigh the same amount either way.

They have the right to destroy suspicious packages I'm pretty sure.

10. lostnfound

lostnfound Contructiconvict

It is most definitely not illegal. And since it isn't, go ahead and ship it that way. Since you're not breaking any laws, its nobody's business really, forget what a lot of people are telling you on here.

And while we're on the subject, is anybody else irritated as hell when they have to ship something internationally? You have to fill out a worthless customs form that has only 3 worthless pieces of information on it

1. the sellers/receivers addresses (already on the package, otherwise it wont ship)
    2. details about content - description, weight, and value
    3. your signature and the date.

Suppose you were shipping a bomb or something, chances are good that you aren't going to write "BOMB" on it. The same goes for anything that would be illegal to ship. So its one of the biggest wastes of time and money and just another "illusion" of safety imo.