Is it Illegal to download an episode of something I own a copy of?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bought an episode of Clone Wars from Itunes, but I wanted to bit torrent a copy of the episode to put in my PS3 (So I am not limited to watching it just on my laptop). Is it technically illegal to download it if I own a legal copy of it?

Likewise, if I own a movie on DVD, but its easier to download a compressed version as opposed to going through the hassle of ripping it and recompressing it, is that illegal?

2. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Most people agree that if you download a TV capture, it is ok, while if you download a DVD rip, it is not. But since you own it, I see no problem with it whatsoever. Besides, the only people that have been prosecuted are the ones sharing, not downloading ;) 

3. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The way I understand it, it is illegal. A download is a download is a download.

And as far as that goes, unless specifically stated transferring it to another medium (DVD to iPod) is illegal as well. However that would require an individual by individual check to confirm, so it is something that isn't enforced, as long as you aren't distributing it... which leads back to the first statement.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    This.

The issue usually is, TV captures are captures of a public broadcast, wheras DVD rips are of material that people pay money for, so you're "taking money away" from the copyright holders by ripping DVDs, but only the people people pirating the stuff are really ever given crap for it. (though the people downloading are still supporting piracy) This is worse when it turns into people selling it and making money off it.

I use torrents to download eps of CW, too. As far as I know it's legal. (i.e., mininova is still up and has episodes on it)

5. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

I don't understand why it's illegal. If you go over to a friends house and watch a movie is that illegal? Likewise is it illegal if your friend online lets you download a copy of a movie if he or she already purchased it?

6. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

TV Captures are no different than Me getting a friend to use his VCR to record something for me.. The Times and Technology are changed.. but I feel what was found to be Legal back then should still be the case now.. Of course Hollywood hated the VCR then, and hates the Capture card now.

as soon as a Service like TIVO becomes Free, I will get whatever the hardware I need to record shows myself.. but i'm not paying to cut out commercials when I already pay for Cable and shouldn't have to sit through commercials anyway.... I don't really care how the business model is built.. its the principle of the thing..

7. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Going over to your friend's house does not increase the number of copies of that movie. Copying the movie does. That is a copy of a movie that the producers/owners of the film don't get paid for.

8. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Technically yes though if you bought a legit copy it's nothing I would lose sleep over.

9. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

It's not so black and white.

Under US law, and subsequent legal precedent (Sony Betamax vs the American people), you have the right to fair use which includes making a backup copy or format shifting.

HOWEVER.

Under the DMCA, it is now a felony to actually exercise your fair use rights. Breaking any copy protection (or telling anyone how to do so), no matter how stupidly simplistic or outright defective, can land you in prison for 10 years in addition to a $250K fine. This incredibly far reaching and draconian law was passed via an anonymous voice vote in the house and 100 weasels to 0 in the senate in 1998. There have been efforts in the last couple of years to increase the fine to $750K per infraction, because independent MPAA/RIAA studies have proven how copying an out-of-print videotape is worse than any crime that has ever been perpetrated in history times infinity and the world will end if you do it.

That said, I would just discreetly ignore it like everyone else with an ounce of common sense.

10. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I say do it, Windcharger. If you already bought it, you have already taken the moral highground.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dled it. I paid 2 bucks for it In iTunes and it's on my iphone but we just want to watch it on the big screen. I am also 99% sure that I will own the season in bluray when it comes out so I think I'm ok. Keeping my iTunes receipt just in case.

12. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

Sell your copy for twice as much as you bought it for, download all of clonewars.

13. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes it's illegal because the laws are made by idiots who are being paid by bigger idiots who don't understand TECHNOLOGY.

14. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

You're allowed to make backup copies of everything you bought and paid for already for your own private use and for the purpose of keeping a back up just in case something happens to the original.

The RIAA and affiliated will try to tell you otherwise, but it's true. You can indeed make a backup for yourself. You can't profit on it though.

In simpler terms however: It's only illegal if you get caught.

15. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

Oh that makes sense now.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't feel guilty about clone wars. It's my favorite show this "season" and I plan on buying it later on DVD/BR, but I got a little scare a while back because my cable company called and asked about a movie I downloaded. Funny thing is, I didn't really fully download it. I was testing my torrent app, because it was blocked. So I didn't know if maybe I was flagged. But even if I was, or if that's even possible, I own this episode. It's going to get expensive to buy this and Brave and the Bold, but it's no big deal.

I just wish Apple wasn't so foking stingy with their shit. They are MP4s, so I should be able to watch them on my PS3 or 360, but nooooooo

17. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah dude you shouldn't feel bad about, just go for it. It's times like this when you just gotta cut sick like this:

YouTube - N.W.A FUCK DA POLICE

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    HAHAHAAH Badass!! :D 

19. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The way I look at it is like this:

TV Show episode from Broadcast - Ok
    TV Show from DVD rip - Not ok

Movie available to purchase in stores or in theaters - Not ok
    Old/Obscure Movie not available for retail sale - OK

I feel it is ok to download TV shows and old obscure films as long as they are for personal use only. Once you try to sell it, then that is wrong. But if I say want a download of a film and i can't buy it new on DVD (out of print) then it is fine. I am not taking their money as I can't legally purchase it. But if I download a bootleg of the new F13th film coming out, THAT is wrong. If I own the Hulk Vs. DVD and want copies to watch on my PSP, then that is ok because I purchased the product.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Let's hope so, because if not, I'm going to look like a burnt out toaster oven.