Is it ethical to troopbuild?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Sonscreen, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

This is an offshoot of my Scrapmetal/Ramble thread. A few people have mentioned troopbuilding this guy; which makes sense considering the cartoon made them look formidable in numbers.

The problem is this guy (according to the entertainmentearth website) is frigging one per case. I would feel kind of bad buying an extra one especially if a kid and to some extent another collector wanted one too.

The only guy that I have multiples of is Energon Sharkticon, but that was different as I bought them off some folks in Junkion that didn't want them anymore.

Maybe I'll wait a year from now and do the same thing with the Scrapmetals and Rambles.

2. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    I'd definitely say wait. I think troopbuilding is ridiculous for adult collectors, though. Waste of money just to have an army you, as a "Casual Collector," will never play with, anyway.

3. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I can see Troop Building in Star Wars and GI Joe, I myself Troop Build Vipers and Crimson Guards, but in TF's I think it makes no sense

4. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I did it with GIJoes but more because Cobra rules and GIJoe has so many troops. Also, they were the Crimson and Infantry packs. I never saw the point with Transformers.

5. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    The only TF figure I've ever had the urge to troop-build is Ramble/Scrapmetal. Having said this I don’t intend to troop-build these figs in the traditional sense. I got all 3 GF Rambles plus Cobys, I intend to pick up a couple of Scrapmetals as well, but not like tons, maybe 2-3 at most, the same with any repaints they end up making of him.

But overall I agree troop building with TF's does not make much sense.

6. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I troopbuild GIJoe (or rather, Cobra) and SW (clones/Imperials) out the ass. Ethical? Beats me, but tens/hundreds of Cobra vipers/infantry and SW clones sure does look cool.
    I haven't liked recent TF media that portrays clones/drones that could justify army building, but even if I did, I don't think I would. TFs just don't lend themselves to that like the other two IMO.

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I admit it, I always wanted to troopbuild with the Gnaws. Even so with Energon Divebombs & GF Rambles. But yeah, troopbuilding TF's is way overkill.
    TF's lean more towards getting different versions of the same mold rather than trooping it.
    We can just troop with repaints :lol 

I started to troopbuild BM Thrust basics, but stopped at 3. Since people may see you as greedy or as a scalper when you do it with TF's. F all that lol

8. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    For some time, I did seriously consider troopbuilding a large Energon Terrorcon army...but I opted not to due to lack of funds and spending priorties.

As for Scrapmetal/Rambles, I would just say stick to 2-3 at most. Anymore would be meh IMHO.

9. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

But, but I like to play with my Energon Sharkticons. :cry  I liked those guys, I gave them different weapons and chips so they could be like a 4 horsemen for my Unicron. :) 

10. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Ethical?

To answer whether any collecting practice is ethical is a tough question, because you have to go clear back to the root of collecting itself. Collecting, in all its forms, is a selfish act. Not that we all don't need a little self-indulgence from time to time, but lets not try to doll it up as something it isn't.

That said, troop building is much like any other collector activity. If you're out there trying to troop build the rarest of rare figures, you have to question your own desire to demolish your wallet. But, if you're picking up overloaded pegs full of some shelf-warmer that just got clearanced in the hopes of some new stuff getting some space, is it any different? Don't know. Don't really care.

I accepted long ago that I collect because I enjoy it. I don't go out of my way to be the first to own anything really. And I generally wait to see sales before I troop build anything. Even then I'm fussy. Only those that fit my collecting agenda.

To say an adult collector will never "play" with an army that's beend troop-built is sort of wrong. I mean, some of my armies will be used in pic-fics. And pic-fics, whatever else they are, are one of the most fun ways I've found to play as an adult collector.

All this to say, I, as a thirty-something computing professional, collect, and play with my collection, and troop build, and play with my troop-built collections. Is any of it ethical? It's a judgement call in all cases. Labelling someone a nutjob or a loser for collecting ten of one mold is ludicrous when that may be all they buy for an entire line, just like labelling a mold completist a nutjob would be wrong.

Different collectors have different priorities. Ethics plays as much a part of it as you want it to. But to claim one type of collecting is right, and one type wrong, that's always struck me as silly. It's either OK to collect, or it's not.

If you want to troop build, do it as inexpensively as you can and find a way to enjoy the troops. That's sort of what this whole collecting this is all about.

11. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sure... Why not??? It's your money... I don't see a problem with it...

Yeah people will complain about it not being fair that you have so many when they can't find their first one, but hey, they have just the same amount of opportunity to find and buy them as the next person...

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

You can always troop em in legions like Vader had his.
    In 5's.

13. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Why do you have Ty-D-Bowl Bot for a sig???:lol 

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i love you mang

*hugz*

15. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

I don't really see anything wrong with it, although for anything I troop build I tend to only do so when stock is at least fairly easy to obtain. I really do think about how I would feel if some local guy had six of one figure that I couldn't even get one of just because he was at the store at the most opportune time.

16. Omnibus Prime

:peoples: 

*Looks at the 5 wide by 4 deep army of Tactical Ops Clones 'marching' behind Evolutions Anakin/Vader.* :D 

I try to army build everything in 5s. 10 here, 20 there...50 over there.

17. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Me too. I'd like a whole shelf full of them. The only other bots I've had the urge to troop build was the Insecticons and Sweeps. All a man needs is 3 extra Scourges. Seems like sweeps were only in 3s, with Scourge making the 4th. The reissue insecticons would've been a good troopbuilding set had they made more so they'd have been clearanced instead of shooting up in value.

18. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I troop-build seeker fleets, I try to get each of the 7 in every form that's available, even if it means getting customs to complete them. sure they're slightly different, but its the same principle... and I want to have 8 scrapmetal/rumbles... each different, that'll be my "troopbuilding" the three GFs, scrapmetal, his future repaint, eventually the coby rumble, and I want to make a purple and a green one as well.

Andy

19. DeathFrogurt

DeathFrogurt The frogurt is cursed!

It sure would be nice if I could find ONE transforming Skrull from the FF classics line. Or one of each kind of trooper from Episode III. Or animated-style Clone Troopers.

If they're rare, leave some for the people who just want ONE.

20. Omnibus Prime

Whoops! Forgot about Sweeps. I have a TM Scourge in really nice shape and a crappy stickers/otherwise decent one that got relegated to Sweep status after I got the TM. I'd like to get two more in at least passable condition for more Sweeps.
    I bought 3 (already had one) Energon Dreadwings when they were on $7 clearance at WM.com to use as modern Sweeps..one of these days, they'll be on display next to Energon Galvatron and Botcon Cyclonus...hopefully.