Is it bad to like horror a lot?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hiraga, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Kinda a weird question, but I've REALLY grown to like horror a lot these past few weeks.

Would this be considered weird?

2. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    As long as you don't plan on reenacting anything from any of the movies you've seen. ;) 

I have lots of horror movie nerd friends, nothing wrong with liking some schlock.

3. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Really, the only horror movies I like are the Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Nightmare on Elm Street series.
    That's it. :) 

4. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

No. As with all things, don't obsess over it, don't take it too seriously, but otherwise you enjoy what you enjoy. Some of us are just drawn to the darker stuff, and those who aren't, don't see what we do.

However, if you are going to even consider being a horror geek, you need to up your street cred and expand your horizons.

Begin with the Dead Trilogy, the Evil Dead Trilogy, the Exorcist, The Thing, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original), Hellraiser and Brain Dead (or Dead Alive).

5. MegatronSupporter

MegatronSupporter Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with it as long as you don't go killing and/or cutting someone up,and also it depends on who you are and what your stance on horror movies are. Personally,I love horror movies alot,it's one of my favorite movie genres. Also,try not to talk about it alot with people,unless you don't care at all or somewhat about what they think about it or unless they are as big of a horror movies fan as you are.

6. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Horror movies are great. 99.9% of them are funnier than most comedies.

7. MegatronSupporter

^You're :crazy: 

Hehehe. :D 

8. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    ^No, he's right.

I used to be TERRIFIED of Horror and Sci-Fi movies as a Child, but now I just laugh my ass off at them. They're so terrible!

I find more comedic enjoyment in watching a terrible slasher than comedy films(most suck nowadays). So predictable, so cliche, you can just tell what's going to happen in horror films. Someone breaks an ankle, stupid kids have sex and die, black people die 99% of the time, Rappers & Musicians always live, Monster's fate either dies lives or is left unanswered. The shit's all the same.

For once, give me a Horror flick where the horny teens live, where the black guy lives, where the monster is seen a whole lot on film, where no dumb bitch sprains her ankle, where the kids are too smart. Give me a movie where the monsters fear the humans, where the hunter is the hunted. Give me a film where the direct opposite of the Hollywood Horror Commandments happens. I want that.

Which is why I find Sci-Fi films more enjoyable overall, even the onces that try to be horror just seem more like action films with monsters for dangers.

To me, true horror is the classics like the Universal Monsters or Hitchcock.
    Also, anything that seems normal or deeply rooted in "it could actually happen in reality", true horror, true evil is what I find to be the definition of a "Horror film." Such examples of that would be films like Se7en or The Vanishing.

9. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    you can't be a horror buff until you can recite Evil Dead from memory.
    i grew up on slashers thanks to my mother taking me to the theater back in the 80s. i thought i knew horror movies until i saw Evil Dead.
    From that moment, i learned that horror is more than a few stalker types or monsters. (i could teach a class on Evil Dead for a living and be in heaven.)
    but before i prove your point, i am not toooo excited about horror.

The real problem with it is that you can watch horror to the point you become calloused, even numb to violence.
    it doesn't bother you anymore.

It can be like alcoholism or downing pills, build a tolerance and you can't ever find something to hit you hard enough to feel it.

not gonna tell you to stop, because it can be fun.
    pace yourself and have a ball.
    (and check out those fucked up Italian zombie movies....those things are sick!)

10. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Aren't they awesome!

And remember kids,

"Shop smart, shop S-Mart!"

11. MegatronSupporter

What you may call true,someone else who is a horror movie fan would call a true piece of garbage as far as horror movies go. As much as I love horror movies,I do not love classic movie monsters,I wouldn't mind watching those just for unintentional comedy due to them being out of date. And I hate to break it to you,but I think it is completely unrealistic to expect a horror movie to not fall victim to having cliches in them completely. I don't think a horror movie would be a horror movie if it didn't have certain cliches in them,unless you're some awkward horror movie fan who is opposed to stuff like sex,swearing,blood,guts,and nudity in a horror movie. And of course particular characters(rather they are iconic or not) who are required to provide these type of things to us horror movie fans. That is to say I am not anti non cliches in a movie,but hey if it happens it happens. There are times where I do get bothered with cliches(not all) but I rather not complain about it since I wouldn't get any sense of victory at all by achieving something as useless as that.

So there comes times where you got to ignore the unfortunate recycled content in a horror movie and enjoy the goodness within it,well of course if you think whatever horror movie it is that you watched is even enjoyable in the smallest form possible. If I was to blame anything,I think the primary issue with recycled stuff in horror movies is the fact that the concept of horror movies have been around for a long time(what I am suggesting is that alot of original ideas have been used up due to that nature)regardless of when you were born,hence why I strongly believe Hollywood is low on dishing out original horror movies. And another issue is although a unique element can be slapped into a horror movie,not the ones that are interesting will all translate appropriately to the screen. Even if the key person or people who participated has learned their lessons. I mean the concept may sound ground breaking,but at the same time may sound and/or look stupid and/or illogical.

Now since Hollywood doesn't dish out lots of original horror movies,it is why I rather watch a remake of certain horror movies that I feel confident will basically leave me satisfied a side from being on the certain horror movie bandwagon already. And yes,you can still watch horror movies even for what you may think come off of as amusing in them. My objective with this huge post was to just give my two cents. I think you can still enjoy a horror movie for actually being good instead of just funny.

I just think you should ignore ones that fit that certain bill and choose carefully unless you want to give up completely on the horror movie genre. It's your call man. Just like most horror movie fans,I am no professional movie critic,but I know what I like and don't like when it comes to them. I never suggest the following,but I also think if you really want to enjoy horror movies is to lower your standards if you think there is merit to them and if you also think it is a necessity. And yes,I do recognize creative interference and money problems do play a part in Hollywood ending up dishing out non original horror movies as well. But I still stand by what I think is the number one cause of the lack of original horror movies these days. I don't take it too personal when a horror movie disappoints me because I remember that the people who made it made it for the money most importantly.

I agree with you,as in Se7en being a good horror movie,and I also agree with you regarding how most comedy movies suck.

12. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
  13. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I was watching Saw 752,945 last night. (I forget what #. The one that just came out)

The part where the dude jammed the pen or whatever into his throat, I almost choked on my Dorito's I was laughing so hard.

14. MegatronSupporter

How? :confused: 

15. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, I think liking horror is perfectly normal.

16. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Horror movies rock, which is why I love remakes of them.