Is it a good idea to get the original soundwave mold?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by scoobsterinc, Oct 4, 2012.

1. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    I am not a G1 collector but I do seem to love to get soundwave figures and I have started to collect a few (though not many) and I came across and looked at the G1 soundwave and I thought about getting it but is it a good idea?

2. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the question is not to get the original mold, but rather to get the new commemorative, one of the older reissues or a true vintage g1? At least, that's the question I'm wrestling with.

3. Anthony _aggro

Anthony _aggro Platypus prime

Ebay:
    Get a G1 soundwave. It is actually a pretty good mold. If you search, there are usually some cheap ones on ebay. If you are collecting the newer versions, then it would be a good idea to have the original.

4. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Yes.

It's one of a tiny handful G1 figures that even slightly stands up today (... and at least one of those other figures is a cassette), and short of MP-13 Soundwave (and the third-party Sonicron), it's the only Soundwave with cassette interactivity. That feature alone makes it worth the price of admission since it's so very fun.

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Even if you own just one G1 figure, I'd say Soundwave is a good one to own. The design and engineering has aged pretty well.

6. Soundwinder

Of the cassettes, Ravage, Ratbat, and Overkill have also aged really well, I think. Ravage in particular has a TON of articulation. The Rumble mold is really fun too, but his shoulder articulation and spring-loaded head is pretty frustrating. But I LOVE their guns.

If you're collecting Soundwaves, get him. Unless you get MP-13, G1 Soundwave fills a niche that none of the other ones do: interactivity with G1 cassettes.

7. jinx23

jinx23 Wrecker

Ebay:
    It's always funny for someone to ask to buy a transformer from transformers collectors, because as a general rule if the figure has an value/quality - the answer will be yes.

Yes!!

8. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

Get the sdcc set with the 4 cassettes. You can find it on eBay for around $100. Not bad considering the iconic nature of this guy.

9. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    G1 Soundwave is one of, if not the best G1 toys imo (Optimus is probably the other best one). Good articulation (excellent for it's era), it looks a lot like the cartoon (much more than most G1) and it's just cool in general.

Most of the cassettes are pretty cool too. Personally, I'm addicted to them, so my opinion is biased.

10. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Yes.

Soundwave was one of the few TFs I had as a kid. Don't know why I've never gone around to buying a Reissue or something.

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    of course

12. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I wish you could find it for that cheap. It's more in the $250-300 zone.

13. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, I recommend him. In terms of engineering and gimmicks, he has aged well. I really like his mini-tape gimmick. It was so cool then and is still now.

If one is a G1 fan, he is a must have and he looks amazing besides G1 Megs, Starscream and Shockwave.

Or on the othe hand, you can be patient and get the MP version. The engineering and sculpt for this guy is amazing!

14. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    My vote is also for yes. Its a beautiful toy, has neat features like gun/battery storage, articulation and the tapes make the toy so much fun.
    Sure he only transforms into a box... but its imaginative and compact and satisfying to transform.

15. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't own the original - just the TFC reissue - but if I got rid of every other single G1 figure I own, Soundwave would be the one I kept. It's just that cool. :) 

16. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

Check again.
    He hasn't topped $150 including shipping in the recent history.

17. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    getting anything G1 is always good ... if you grew up with it. i say this becuase they are essentially bricks. i think people who get g1 figures who just got into it get them to claim they were into it from G1 or just to seem hip.

i got powermaster prime TRU comemoritive edition a few years back. felt good to see it again in good shape plus something new. sad thing was it was just a brick. but still im proud to own it becuase it was my first OP when i was a kid. being born in '83 and transformers hitting the US in '84 ... well i was behind lol!

lets face it if you grew up watching TF: MTMTE ... you're a transformers hipster becuase you were into it before they were cool and mainstream.

18. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

If you can spare the cash, get one of the newer releases like the SDCC, since that one has a Ratbat (who is unusually hard to find in good condition due to the original having fragile wings). Be sure you know which version you're getting, though, as there are two versions; the original single-tape chest and the Soundblaster retool with an enlarged chest to hold two tapes.

Don't forget Voyager WFC Soundwave's mold. While it holds disc minions instead of tapes, he can hold THREE of them and apparently has the ability to launch them from his chest cavity, a feature Soundwave is known for but never before had in a toy.

19. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    Truth be told I never grew up with G1 and have only recently went around to watching it and I have to say G1 sounwave is my favourite soundwave. I am going to buy the MP but I want to display the original mold (or a reissue) next to him.

20. Soundwinder

I haven't forgotten, but being able to fit new, different minions is very different than fitting G1 cassettes.