Is IDW starting to overdo it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Fairlady_Z, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

First a price jump from $2.99 to $3.99 on everything.

Escalation, Animated Movie, Spotlights, Movie Prequel, 2007 Movie Adaptation, TFCC Trade, Origins of Megatron, Decimation, and probably BW MTMTE and another BW mini in the fall. Not to mention TF vs. G.I. Joe over at Devil's Due.

Don't get me wrong I am loving all of these. When it comes to TF comics I collect EVERYTHING. But my wallet is starting to feel a bit strained. Do you think the once to movie hype is over they will go back to the standard ongoing arc and 1 mini running side by side? I intend to keep collecting TF comics for as long as they run, but I'd hate to also have to drop any of the other comics I'm collecting to keep up.

I'm also worried about the company streaching themselves to thin. That's part of how Dreamwave imploded. Too many books has kept me from buying Devil's Due G.I. Joe titles. I know the old argument of only buy what you like, but that's the trouble. I like ALL of it! Why should those who want to read the WHOLE story have to pick and choose or pay through the nose? I tend to be the all or nothing sort myself. With TFs I wanted all the comics so G.I. Joe gets nothing. I have the same problems with franchises like X-Men too. Sorry for the rant, but I want to know if I am the only one who feels this way or not.

2. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I couldn't agree more. I HATE how much this is costing me, what with all the Spot Lights, Escalation, BW, G1 Joe vs Transformers and every other comic they squeeze out. It cost me 3.99 CAD for that Magnus Spotlight, and to be honest it wasn't great. Magnus was cool and everything, but the story itself lacked. IDW says that these Spotlights will reveal an overall story, but I haven't seen any connection between any of the series.

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You know, I was loving the barrage, until you listed it all out like that. On the other hand, none of those are on-going, so IDW's sorta built breathers into everything. If there's a sales slump, Generations and BW stuff would probably be the first to go on hiatus. But unlike DW, that won't lose readers, since each mini-series is self-contained. Basically, Joe Q. Comicbookreader won't be getting irritated waiting for issue 19 to find out what happens.

And the movie stuff was to be expected--just like the toyline, they'll probably feel a little excessive. But it'll get back to normal soon enough. I'm guessing 3 to 6 months after the movie.

4. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

The overall standard of business with pricing, once it's gone up, it doesn't go back down. They'll come up with various ways and reasons as to why prices need to go up that much, but yeah..Once they've got your money, they'll keep it there. Even if onto the point that they collapse. Fun with economics.

5. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

At least it shouldn't get higher any time soon.

I have a hard time just getting them all. I usually only get cool covers or my favorite characters. Was going to start with Escalation, but didn't due to the price. Will be picking up more spotlights though since they aren't as often.

6. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I really don't see what's the trouble. The most that IDW publishes a month is TF 3 books (G1, Generations, and a Miniseries). I ignore Generations, I also ignore the TF Animated Movie adaption and I ignored Hearts of Steel. That means I usually get 1 or 2 books a month (I get a second book if its a spotlight book, my first book is the usual G1 book).

If you buy -everything- then I could see how you might feel overwhelmed. But even then, IDW doesn't publish more then 4 TF books a month. For the next couple of months we will continue to get the Esclatation book, the Prequel book, the Megatron miniseries, and Generations. I'm still ignoring Generations but the other three books are good books so its just cool to get those.

I honestly think that IDW is pacing themselves very well. They have variety in their TF line. I don't think they are glutting the market. I think four books is barely pushing it, but one of them is a reprint book. More then four, then your asking for trouble.

7. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    yeah, i hate their prices being high too...i wish they would get some add space to help bring down the cost (and dont get me started on how many freakin adds marvel runs, but doesnt bring the cost down) but at the same time, i work in a store, and get paid in comics. so in essence, its not costing me anything....but i feel for you guys....

8. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's the standard movie tie-in blitz of all products. Look at all the toys being released so it's not just the comics. If they don't increase they're output now and strike while the iron is hot then they aren't very good business men. You guys are exactly the market they are going for because you'll buy everything.

I haven't collected comics in a while but they usually raised prices because the cost of the paper rose or they used better quality paper. Has any of that happened recently or is it just he price of IDW books that went up?

9. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

$3.99, thank goodness i stop buying TF titles...i'm just hoping Marvel & DC stay with their $2.99 price.

As for the other titles, way too much...and like the price, luckly i dont buy any TF title.

10. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Its tough where I am too.... There is no Canadian cover price on the beasties, so I get charged about $5 per issue.
    Pricey... but okay the paper stock and print quality are nice. However I too am thinking how long until I can just look for these in the back issue bins. The G1 continuity is not going to be precendent setting and I may as well wait until these end up in the dollar bin back issue racks. Its frustrating.

11. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

If you think 3,99$ for a single issue every week is too much just wait fifteen years from now when it'll be in the twenties, I mean seriously everything rises; buisness wants money, in order to get money they charge whatever they want and if the product is something you feel or you've been brainwashed to believe you can't do without thanks to marketing then you'll pay for it. Some might say; hold on this is crazy I'm wasting cash on stuff that I might not need or want later in life, but in the end they'll keep buying it because that's how Society works now.

And if you don't think the industry will start charging ten bucks a title when we reach the big 50 then you're probably wishful thinking.

12. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I have bought comics for $10 new now....

Thats not the point though. Its market saturation and quality for what we get. I'm pleased that many of the stories are all tied together; specifically Stormbringer, Escalation, and the Spotlights. It gives it a nice universe feel.

But with all the movie tie ins too, the saturation and bang for the buck has to be right to keep it feeling special.

13. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the IDW main continuity (Infiltration/Escalation and the Spotlights) are alright to have around. Agreeing that it gets heavy when there's more than one additional miniseries going on, though. That may be part of why Hearts of Steel fizzled so harshly come the final issue.

14. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    To me, I know the 1$ increase hurts, but I'm just glad that there is a comic series. For me, I don't think IDW is overdong the license as Dreamwave did--since they have several titles to support their business.

15. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually, to expand on a point:

I think IDW's main strength over Dreamwave is that their two big running things right now (Escalation/Infiltration and Spotlight) are -directly- related.

Dreamwave had a load of stuff in the same continuity, but jumped all over the timeline.

The closer unity in IDW's current headlines helps them, IMO. Makes it feel like the multiple titles work with each other instead of just floating around in their own shelfspace.

16. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

damn, i just realized there was one title that i wanted to start buying..Target: 2006. So after finding its $3.99 i might skip it and just get the TPB.

17. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I could care less really. I have been just buying the comics that interest me and foregoing the junk like generations, TFTM which really holds no interest at all for me, and the undoubtedly loathesome movie tie-ins. IDW can publish as many transformer titles as they want, doesnt mean I have to buy all of them.

18. Arkayanon

Arkayanon Well-Known Member

As far as the price being higher compared to DC and Marvel, I honestly don't mind as long as they maintain the comparatively scant advertising. I've also started picking up other smaller (non-DC/Marvel) because of that reason and for what I think are more interesting stories.

If anyone is doing wrong on price and inundation it is the big two. How many different Civil War books are there? I started reading Fifty-two partway in to get me into the DC Universe and that's a fairly hefty commitment to get the whole story. After those two runs are done I'll probably just be getting Ghost Rider (whose last two issue were a little poor IMO), Teen Titans, and Justice League from those two companies.

As for TF's I don't think it's that horrible. As Ramberk said, IDW only publishes a few books a month, and about half of them aren't even tied to the main continuity.

19. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    you do know that Marvel comics cost less now than they did 2 years ago?

Anyway, meh, I still buy more X-Men comics a month than Transformers. Of course, I hate most of these Transformer comics and only buy them out of some stupid brand loyalty because when I child I apparently wasn't hugged enough

20. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    I knew this would happen. IDW's normal pricing is actually 3.99 but for some reason made TF books 2.99. I'm sure it was to draw the TF Base which already existed and when they had enough of us roped would hike the price. Hell I paid 7.49 for a 24 book from them.

And besides the price, there are just to many books out anyway. I still say 2 titles at a time is enough with maybe a one shot every quarter. Have one regular series and a series on minis.