Is Hunger Games just a Wanamaker be Battle Royale?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Alucard77, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I haven't read or heard of hunger games before the commercials on tv. Being an old fuck and having seen a shit load of movies, I always say, yeah that movie is this movie redone.

As soon as I saw the preview I thought, is this some cheap ass rip off of Battle Royale? For those who haven't seen it, it is a Japenese movie about a future society who puts graduating high school kids in a Battle Royale where only 1 student gets to leave.

Sound familiar. Only problem is that movie came out a looooong time ago. Plus, seeing as this is a US based teen flick, I bet it will be some dumb shit in it too. So I would recommend seeing Battle Royale.

Also, once this movie comes out I would love for someone who saw both to tell me if I am wrong.

Edit: damn fucking iPad with the auto correct function messed up the title. If a mod reads this could you change the title to wanna be.

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    There's a thread 5 threads down. Did you really have to make a new one?
    EDIT:
    Instead of buying your precious toys, read the book and then voice your opinion.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  3. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    This alone stopped me cold from reading the rest of your ignorant thread. Don't make a judgement or come to conclusions about a piece of media until you've actually seen more of that piece of media then a thirty second clip on TV. Seriously. Go read the frigging book.

4. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I saw the commercial for Benjamin Button and immediately said, oh great, look, Forrest Gump clone. Guess what, it was a wanna be Forest Gump.

I have no desire to read a teenager book. I am not one of those 35 year olds who is going to run out and read Harry Potter, sorry. I just wanted to see if I was right or not, and if it was a clone. If some one said no, it's not a clone, then that is fine with me. But I see all this hype and cannot help to think, man if these people didn't see Battle Royale, they should see that.

Kinda ironic how you read one line of my ignorant post, then tell me not to judge a movie by a 30 second spot on TV. Oh the irony.

5. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    First off. The Hunger Games is hardly a book directed towards a teenage audience exclusively. My father is the one who convinced me to read it...

Yes, the general idea is the same. A death match in which there is only one victor. But the details, which I'll add, you can only get by actually putting forth an effort... are entirely different. You can't go around saying something is a ripoff of something else if you've never actually seen more of it then a one paragraph/thirty second summary.

6. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well, I wasn't really attacking it. I wanted people who saw both to let me know if I was off point on it. The commercials just turned me off to it, and would be happy to be wrong.

If it's good and is different, I will check it out.

What looks freaking amazing is that new Snow White movie with Charlize Theron.

7. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    How many people do you really think watched Battle Royale?

8. Alucard77

News Credits:
    On a Transformers board, who is heavily based in Japanese culture, I would think quite a few to be honest. Maybe I was wrong. Thing was a cult hit.

9. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This isn't the first, second, or third time I've heard it compared to Battle Royale, so... more than you think?

10. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

The Hunger Games was a book before being a film. So you can't accuse a book of "stealing" from a manga/movie.

11. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Just checked IMDB, just as I thought. People are saying it is a wanna be.

BTW people, if you have not seen Battle Royale, go see it. It is not artsy fartsy or anything like that. It is intense and sick. So do yourself a favor and see it.

I will give hunger games a chance when it comes to BluRay. Cannot see spending money on it in the theater though.

12. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Will people just read all three books cover-to-cover before thinking their assumptions have been confirmed? Seriously...

13. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Yeah you can, cause it happens.

14. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Battle Royale, but having read the Hunger Game books and based on that description... No, they're very different.

I'd say it's a story someone really of any age can enjoy actually, not simply a teen flick.

15. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Ignoring the original post, a couple things have me wondering:

So wait, if I wrote a book that pretty much ripped off X big manga or a movie (Lets say I write a book that's pretty much 90% "The Matrix" in book form) that it's not stealing? What's the logic in that? Being in a different media hardly makes copying ok.

Out of curiosity, have you read the Twilight books? Have you ever made any assumptions about the books/movie/general story?

16. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

I'm pretty sure the author of The Hunger Games has stated she was unfamiliar with Battle Royale, which would not surprise me. It's not exactly a hard concept to come up with, especially given how prevalent reality TV is.

I honestly want to expose myself to both, and judge for myself.

17. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    No, I have not read the books personally. And I have spoken out about the series before. But on that same note, I made sure to read about what does transpire in the series, summaries, reviews from both the haters and the fans... certainly more then just looking at the cover and then shunning it.

18. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    And Twilight is kind of an unfair comparison. Those arguments and criticisms are based on whether or not it's a piece of shit... this argument is about whether or not the Hunger Games is a ripoff of a pre-existing piece of literature...

19. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

You're more of a man than I am, although I don't think it's ever come up in a conversation i've ever had, I would have no problem mindlessly bashing Twilight :lol 

20. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I wouldn't have a problem with it either, honestly. I just make sure to be well prepared in case of accusations. XD No use in pretending to have read something I havn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.