Is HTFD Movieverse?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Charsiupao, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Charsiupao

Charsiupao Well-Known Member

I always thought that HFTD was a toyline which was a movieverse bridge between the original movie and ROTF, but recently I've seen some HFTD Legends figures like Sandstorm and Tracker Hound which don't seem to look like movieverse figures as they all have that face-with-shades kind of head molds which is more reminiscent of the Classics. Are they still technically movieverse?

Reason I'm asking is my kid and I collect Legends, but my kid gets dibs on the movieverse Legends while I keep any Classics, and I have no idea which group Sandstorm and Tracker Hound belong to. I know they weren't in the movie, but neither were many of the HFTD (and ROTF incidentally) figures. Thanks for any guidance on this!

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Yes and no. Depends on your personal taste.

3. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I think it is a "catch-all"

4. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    those two are repaints from the Universe 2.0 line, so they were designed for g1ish love... but, like Wollstone said, its personal preference... I was just looking at Tomahawk and Terradive last night and trying to decide if they'd look right in my classics collection... I think Tomahawk will, but Terradive is a bit more movieish to the point that i think he'd look funny with my Seekers and other jets, but if i put Terradive with Mindwipe, Bludgeon and Botcon Banzaitron, he'd most certainly fit in there with that crew...

5. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm going to go with sometimes.

6. Charsiupao

Thanks guys! I guess I'll have to look at each figure individually rather than go by label then!

7. Blot

Blot Terrorcon

I would say HFTD is movieverse, but like other movie-verse lines, it may also contain repaints from other lines (which fit better with those other lines). Repaints of other Universe 2.0 Legends already appeared in some exclusive ROTF Legends packs. Similaly, a bunch of Cybertron and some Energon repaints appeared as exclusives in the first movie line (oh, and the energon combiners were released as part of ROTF also).

8. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Its really a catch all line for both movieverse and classics styled toys. and some toys bridge both styles like seaspray. I see parts of him that are classics look adn things that are movie style..

9. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Buy two of each?

Also note, the next wave of "yellow package" Legends (and Deluxes and Voyagers for that matter) is not even close to being movieverse. So it's a catchall line.

10. Charsiupao

Nah, I don't really want them. I bought them because they were HFTD and I thought they were movieverse (the Sideways repaint was definitely movieverse), but the more I looked at them the more I doubted.

Are you referring to Highbrow? He looks pretty movieverse to me, and so does that Fallen repaint, although it's pretty ugly.

11. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    HFTD Is Half Movie and Half Classics

12. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Sort of" is the best classification - some figures are definitely part of the movie-verse, but others would look more at home on my Classics shelves. I've gone beyond classifying them by line anyway, and just put them wherever feels right.

13. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It's an anomalous block called "Transformers" that takes in the best of everything.

14. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Imagine if they released Animated Blackout in a yellow box? The fandom's heads would collectively explode.

15. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Highbrow is kinda movieesque, but i think he fits in with other figures from classics too...

exactly... that's the best thing to do... my collection is mostly a big mashup of most lines, with the exception of Animated and my Beast series (BW, BM, BW2, BWNeo) they all get their own space...

^^^
    this

dude, that would be epic... i'd love to see it happen so people could actually get it, but man, how hilarious it'd be to see him sitting in peoples movie collection because they have to display figures only with the other figures they were released with...

16. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    First off, Hunt for the Decepticons is not the name of the toyline, it is the name of a promotion.

And it depends on the figure. Some of them are and some of them are not. T first few waves all were placed in the movieverse via their package bios but I'm guessing by the time that the waves with Tracks and Jazz start hitting it will depend on the figure.

Go by the bio.

17. Charsiupao

In your opinion, would you keep Sandstorm and Tracker Hound with the Universe Legends or the Movie Legends? I found that with the Movie Legends they looked a bit cartoonish in sculpt, but with the Universe Legends the colour scheme was just too bland compared to the bright cheerful colours of Rodimus, Wheelie, Brawn and Warpath.. or do I just happen to have a bunch of over-colourful Universe Legends?

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think it's Hasbro's attempt to take what works from it's other action figure lines and apply it to Transformers.

In the Wolverine and Iron Man movie lines you had comic book characters that did not look like the characters in the movies. All sold in the same packaging but instead of having to shift comic book Crimson Dynamo over to the Marvel Universe line they just released him along side movie version Mar Machine.

So one package to bind them all lets Hasbro do more stuff with Transformers without having to wait for a spot open up in the movie lines or Generations line. The hybrid figures that seem to mix styles from different ascetics seems to have caught hold fairly well so this lets Hasbro release the figures without the worry of should we put this toy in the movie line or release it in the Generations line.

Pretty much a win for everyone unless you are really strict about only having toys released under a few sub-brand names.

19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    This! make your own calls based on each figure if you can, I can't decide one way or another for Seaspray.

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I wish more collectors would take this advice. Kudos!