Is having movie influnences on the rest of the TF brands such a crime?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by kaijuguy19, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    I don't really care for the aesthetic at all, but I understand why Hasbro does it. They've homaged previous lines for over 20 years, so its nothing new and not worth getting overly upset about.

What drives me nuts about it all is when I'm wearing a non-movie TF shirt or buying a non-movie toy and people start trying to engage me in conversation where it quickly becomes evident that they think the Bayformers are the one and only and first TFs and refuse to believe otherwise.

--Moony

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Just not seeing a whole lot of movie Arcee and Megatron in Transformers Prime Arcee and Megatron.

Arcee in the live action movie and on Prime both have a motorcycle alt mode but beyond the alt modes I'm not seeing a connection. Arcee was hardly used in Revenge of the Fallen so there isn't much personality from the movie that you could attach to Prime Arcee. Perhaps something in the movie comic books but I haven't read those.

Megatron's robot mode reminds me more of War for Cybertron than movie Megatron. Perhaps Megatron's teeth and color to tie him to the movies.

3. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Well that's a good point/

4. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I would prefer influences from styles like Gundam, because they already looked similar to the Transformers style. I have nothing against influences from other styles. But the designs of the Bayformers mostly look like scrap. And stuff like Animated and Prime looks too deformed.

5. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I despise the movie aesthetics. I despise the movie "plot". I despise the movie "characters". I voice this probably too often.

But no, there is nothing wrong with liking them. Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

I'm glad Transformers Prime has a little movie influence as it does but R2-Bee2 needs to learn to speak again.

6. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Animated and Prime don't look deformed.They are more like stylized if anything that's different from being deformed. The Movie desgin I can understand but Animated and Prime is more fun in my opinon. Besides it's a breath of fresh air from the almost generic G1 style.

7. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Then stylized. However I don't like it on Transformers. In other shows I don't care that much. I prefer more anime style.

8. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Well we have our preferences so I respect your opinon. I just like the more stylized crtoony and alien look of the Movies.Animated and Prime a little mor on Transformers. I mean it actually gives them more options in style other then sticking to soley to G1/anime desgins. It works for you of course but not for other people excatly.

Besides sticking to just the G1/anime style for Transformers does get eventully VERY tiresome for a LOT of people and if we stuck to it it would've been generic to the point of dying out.

9. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    My dream would be a Transformers show done like the new Thundercats show but having influences of american story writing. And robot fights like in Saber Rider :D 

10. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Well we may get that in the future after Prime's ended so keep your fingers crossed!:) 

11. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I'll do. Wouldn't hold my breath on it, but hope is the last to die :) 

12. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Megatron retains the silver color [as you mentioned], the alt-mode, the demonic face [and teeth, as you also mentioned] and has some cues of TF-2007's and ROTF's Megs [both have spikes of doom on their shoulders and the same kind of bull-like feet].

His "bucket-head" is from G1 and WFC, his body structure [big shoulders, large chest] strikes me more as a mix of Animated-Megs and WFC-Megs.

Those changes made Prime-Megs all the more threatening [specially his demonic teeth and face], I think that's good.

His personality is more of a mix of all previous personalities: some over-the-top antics like G1 Megs and some of Galvatron's insanity mixed with BW-Megs' weird antics and lust for power, posesses manipulative and scheming characteristics like BW-Megs [though to a lesser extent], the needless brutality, love for violence and everlasting pride of movie-Megatron.

Thus far, nothing from Animated-Megs, but in general, he seems to be made to be the "ultimate Megatron", taking traits of every previous incarnation and adding some new twist along the way.

13. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime IDW2019 Stan

News Credits:
    I always thought prime megs was based on animated cybertron mode megs

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Crime? No.
    But tell me why somneone should be happy with a new show's designs that borrowed heavily from the movie if they didn't like the movie designs?

Why was this even asked?

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Agreed.
    I see very little- if any- influence of movie megs in PRIME megs. PRIME megs looks much more like Animated megs, with some WFC megs.

16. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    I don't know. Maybe they like the way the Prime asthetic look better than the movie asthetic?

I asked this because while I know that a LOT of people aren't into the movies I wonder if they are also hostile towards anything movie releated like in shows like Animated and Prime as well as games like WFC and FOC. I've heard some that do dislike it so I wanted to know what are the other people's thoughts on it.

17. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't mind the movie inflences on any TF franchise because it keeps the TF alive.

18. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I honestly don't see what's so wrong with it. Having Barricade, Blackout, and movie inspired versions of older characters in TF media adds recognizable features of the brand to the media in question. Not everyone has seen G1, and I'm pretty sure most kids in the buying range for toys have seen the movies and not G1. It's a route Hasbro must take, as the movies have overtaken G1 as the most recognizable brand.

19. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I think the point was more something like "hating movie influences because they're movie influences".

20. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    It gets annoying when Prime Bumblebee looks like a carbon clone of Movie Bumblebee. If Hasbro is going to have 90% of movie-inspired designs, how is that character unique from every other incarnation? And not necessarily in terms of design either. Movie Bumblebee is silent, a warrior, and a kids guardian. Movie Bumblebee is silent, a warrior, and a kids guardian (though this ends later on).

@Overlord Balder. Please compare Animated Megatron's Cybertronian mode to Prime Megs and see how similar they are.