Is Hasbro distribution now worse than ever?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nevermore, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Slightly exaggerated, but...

On December 21, Universe Inferno was found at Wal*Mart.
    Transformers Universe Inferno Found At U.S. Retail - Transformers News

The receipt clearly shows the name "Inferno", so this was no hoax, unless it was an extremely crafty one.

Since then, I've been regularly checking TFW2005's sightings forum. There's been NO further sightings of Inferno for more than two weeks now. Only people asking if someone else has seen Inferno. I admit their sightings forum is kinda tiresome with endless tangential and off topic chatter and questions and no actual sightings being reported.

There's been one sighting of Inferno's wavemate, Vector Prime.

Smokescreen and Dinobot were found on January 1.
    Universe Smokescreen and Dinobot Released at US Retail - Transformers News

Likewise, no further sightings yet between TFW2005 and the Allspark. And people are really looking for them, so it's not a case of "people stopped caring for them once they became available online", as someone suggested to me.

I know distribution is ultimately up to the stores, but how come one or two stores get sent a single shipment of a new wave, and then nothing else?

Apparently the Jetfire/Jetstorm two-pack has been spotted several times already. Maybe it's a Universe vs. Animated thing?

2. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Could be a hoax. That Inferno isn't in the box, and it would be pretty easy to make a fake receipt and put it with a toy stolen from China.

3. Maximum Burn

Maximum Burn JETS AND HELI!! I LIKEY!

Hasbro sent the store an earlier box of shipments? Could be since they tend, from what I hear, screw up online orders.

Store released way before they were suppose to or during the holiday rushes?

Scalpers are greedy? I usually use ebay to see if there has been a new release sightings, and to see if they are trickling all over the country by mass releases.

This is really out there explanation but...maybe the Hasbro people are keeping tabs on what's been released early by visiting the sightings forums and getting stores to stop?

That's all I can think of...

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Maybe flukes, but I'd assume it has something to do with many US stores not being in a hurry to restock after Xmas, either waiting for a scheduled reset, inventory time, or both.

(purely a guess, mind you, though I do remember back in the 'eighties when after the holidays, you were lucky to to see any toy shelves restocked until February or even March)

5. JCMGTX

JCMGTX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I woukld almost put money on these figures are in the back store rooms, they just are reducing what is on the shelves now. Plus they are doing inventories an resets right now. So I don't think it is Hasbro, I think it is the store, end of year inventories and the current state of the economy.

I rememeber when I got Silverstreak, Sideswipe and Ironhide, I stumbled back into the garden center when they were converting to the toy stock room for the holidays and found the cases. I found them in a store that didn't put them on shelves for 3-4 weeks later for the public.

6. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

Habro has very little to do with what stores stock, aside from the obvious factor of whether or not they produce the toys at a particular time. If a store is out of an item and fail to restock, they're either out of the item(their fault) or aren't interested in making money off of the item(makes no sense, but happens). Running a large retail business myself, I can tell you that it's more rarely a timing issue; i.e. they're resetting the department and attempting to reduce their workload moving items to and fro.

EDIT: Contrary to popular belief, most businesses aren't doing inventories right now, much less "end of year" inventories. I can't name a single large company offhand that runs a January-December fiscal year.

7. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    Like others, I chalk it up to the resets and post-Christmas time. Several Walmarts, Targets, and Meijers in my area have already reset and have started restocking some new items (GI Joe Mighty Muggs, new Iron Man waves, etc.). Others locations among those three stores haven't started their reset yet. With all stores,the aisles are pretty barren.

It's the same as it has been in previous years. With post-Christmas resets, store don't seem too ready to stock the shelves full of toys.

8. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbros distrobution is just fine. It's our economy and holiday sales that suck. All of the local stores here are getting caught up with the most recent waves of figures but they have been starting at the lower price points first. So all the new waves of robot heroes, activators and even deluxe universe are getting easier to find after the holidays.

However, Voyagers and up in general sold very badly. All of my stores had these items in stock and were in good quantities even on xmas eve. Now they are collecting dust totally alowing down all new product. Universe inferno, Animated Shockwave, jetfire/jetstorm, Shadow blade Megs. Are all hard to find do to the older waves clogging shelves and stores having no reason to order.

9. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I love how you refer negatively to TFW's sighting forum in the third person, as you obviously posted this on a different site, and then failed to change at least the context.

Oh, and are you trying to say Hasbro + Distribution = bad combo?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  10. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

It's not unusual to see a post-holiday rut in retail toy restocking. This has happened EVERY year since I've been collecting. I don't even bother to look around until February at the earliest.

11. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers, at least, are right on time around my area. I saw Universe wave 4 within a week of the first reported sightings online. G.I. Joe distribution, OTOH, sucks around here. I don't think the local stores have got anything since a couple weeks before Christmas and they sure haven't gotten any of the new vehicles (Ghost Hawk & Sting Raider). Plenty of Combat Heroes though.

+-MWG-+

12. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

MP (walmart) Starscream. That one sure didn't stay on store shelves long.

Why was that?

Scalpers/Ebayers?
    Low production?
    Other?

13. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Not a universal situation, I'm sure, but my local Target is stuffed to the gills with unsold Treadbolts - eight of the damn things, plus a few other voyagers. Wal-Mart, meanwhile, has crowded down the TF section to make room for unsold wrestling toys. Neither one has room for Inferno, so it's no surprise he's not here yet.

Meanwhile, wave 4 of Universe deluxes are just now starting to appear here. It's going to be awhile before we get wave 5.

14. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    for two weeks after christmas the shelves at my local wal-mart were bare cept for like two ironhides and a lockdown activator, the out of the blue on monday we got blurr swindle and lockdown. Not alot of them just a small shipment. So i don't think personally that my walmart is holding merchandise in the back. After all you can't sell it if it's sitting in the back. I just think maybe with the economy the way it is, the amount of trucks shipping is cut back, maybe leading warehouses to hold on to non esential items a little longer, but who knows.

15. Fenixblue

Fenixblue Well-Known Member

I spoke with the local Wal-mart toy dept. manager this morning as she was finishing the
    post-holiday reset. WM is instituting a new program for stocking toys now. TF and other
    action figures will be on auto-matic reorder starting later in the month. The system will
    now order enough to keep the shelves full instead of just having enough. It will also keep
    track of what's been sold and what hasn't. There had to have been a minimum of 20 peg
    hooks just for deluxe animated TFs all still with the $7.77 price point.

16. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Is Hasbro's distribution worse than ever?

No. I just think it's because the internet is what it is now (misinformation super-highway). There's no saying that this couldn't have, or hasn't, happened in the past with Hasbro. We just hear about it so quickly nowadays with boards and discussions such as this and collectors being how we are now. As in knowing what's going to be in the next wave of toys several months before their expected release and all that.

17. Cyberjet #7

Cyberjet #7 Banned

Thanks, I liked it when you popped up in the WA sightings forum and posted something there and are now posting here stating that the sightings forum has "useless" chatter.

Ass-clown... this thread is kinda "useless".

As we've all seen there are usually these "teaser" figures that come out around a month before a figure/wave goes into full rotation. I see it with SW all the time - every wave hits somewhere once and then like a month later drops heavily and it's everywhere. I see it alot with TFs, too. Couple that with the holiday season and yea, alot of stuff flies - both before Christmas shopping and after (when people have tons of gift cards).

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I reported that my brother-in-law found Universe Inferno at a walmart in Jackson, MI. it's sitting on his dresser right now. I know it's unusual for anything to pop up in MI early, but I did manage to report the first Energon Kicker sighting at a local walmart a few years back.

19. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Hasbro distribution is certainly no worse than when I was a kid. How many of us remember back in the '80s when you'd look at the TF catalog enclosed in the box and see all these figures depicted, and think to yourself "Yeah, right. If I even see half of these....":D 

Trust me, things are wayyyyy better these days.

20. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

You are right, I remember as a kid not ever seeing half the G1 toys in the stores. Especially the pre movie autobot cars. Even the 3 original seekers.