Is Hasbro afraid of using Dinobot?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Kaijumaster, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Is Hasbro afraid of using Dinobot?

Thats a question thats been running through my mind, we've seen many other beast wars characters re-used in diffrent media and continuities. But aside from the 2006 dawn of future past and the universe/henkei figure we've not seen any other sightings of dinobot. AND given the fact he won the hall of fame top spot the very first year it's not like he's not a beloved fan character....we're not talking cosmos here. So I'm wondering whats the general thinking, is Dinobot TOO beloved? Is it that no one would accept him played by anyone other than Scott? Do you think It's a non issue or has Hasbro activly decided not to use the character in other media?

Thoughts?

2. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it has more to do with G1 overshadowing Beast Wars. I bet more casual fans are familiar with Grimlock as a character than Dinobot. If you asked them who Dinobot was they'd say "which one?".

3. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^This. Since they used the DinobotS in "animated", I think that will confuse more of the younger fans. They haven't really shyed away from using BW characters though, Blackarachnia was in Animated, and Airachnid in the current series is a pretty clear homage to Blackarachnia

4. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    The guy's gotten two (three if you count the Universe and Henkei decos as separate) toys since his franchise ended. I'd say that's pretty good, all things considered.

I'm afraid, more than anything, that he's pigeonholed by his name. Its both generic and limiting. Duder kinda has to be a dinosaur purely by virtue of his moniker (unless someone comes up with an incredibly creative reason otherwise) and I dunno... Animated was one thing, but I think Hasbro wants to keep it to vehicle alts only for the time being.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    That aside, Dinobot is also a tricky one to implement. he's a charatcer defined by his actions, which were based on the very specific and unique events in the show. It's difficult to have a new Dinobot because he's not just a noble character, he has many sides.

6. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    exactly, He really is one of the finest things to come out of this hobby of ours. Thats why I figured they've avoided to the use of his character.

7. NathanS

NathanS Well-Known Member

This is the big reason. Hasbro has no problem giving new personalities to old names. But it seem like they don't want much to do with beast-alt modes, much less organic looking beast alt-modes. Which is a real shame, I like vehicle alts, but also really enjoy beast modes, especially organic looking ones, sort of taking the disguise to the next level, you don't even know they're machines when you see them!

It also seem like a waste, just as their are some who never got into organic looking alt modes I bet there's a market segment that preferred the beast formers. Why not tap both sides?

8. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like him or not, it was a stupid decision (imo) to give an individual character a name that was already established and extremely popular as an entire sub-faction. To me it's no different than if there were stand-alone characters named Insecticon (no, I don't count that little movie bug thing), Combaticon, Constructicon, Predacon, Stunticon, Aerialbot, Protectabot, Triple Changer, etc. Just sayin.

9. NathanS

NathanS Well-Known Member

True, Naming was not BW strong suite. They weren't horrible at it, the names do tend to be easy to remember, but they weren't very creative either.

10. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Depends if they are gonna release the actual Dinobots in any way shape or form. If they are then it will just confuse things.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    We don't see Dinobot for the same reason we don't see Rhinox and Cheetor.

12. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I dunno. I've talked to a lot of my friends back in college and even though they weren't Transformers fans, they remembered and loved Beast Wars as a kid, especially Dinobot.

13. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hasbro could always rename him if they wanted to use him in a line with the other Dinobots. It's not like they haven't renamed characters in the past. Hell, I usually refer the Beast Machines Megatron as Megabolt these days as it helps to keep him a seperate character from all the other Megatons.

As long as they keep what it is that makes him the character we all love, does it realy matter what his name is?

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Do they buy toys or participate in the brand somehow? Because the people that do (usually children) lean towards G1-based merchandise. Animal and Dinosaur based characters in recent years haven't sold as well as vehicles, though this could be due to the prominence of the characters. I don't quite understand it myself, transforming dinosaurs are awesome.

15. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    I mainly think because 'Dinobot' usualy describes a team of Dinosaur transformers, apposed to an individual with the name.

16. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

There's an entire generation of fans that grew up on Beast Wars. The "G1 is the most 'real' version of transformers" attitude is really narrow.

17. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:

Um.... I never said it was. I just said it is mostly used to describe Grimlock & crew. I never mentioned G1.

18. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Besides, when Beast Wars was created, G1 was over, finished!

Hasbro still had a bunch of trademarks they could use left over and use them they did.

Like how they now call the Dinobot Triceratops "Snarl" despite Snarl already being assigned to the Stegosaurus?

19. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I would also say dinobots story is very power he has such a rise and fall, its so big I'm not sure I want to see his story taken on again, it could be just the same then it would just be a knock off, if it was different it might feel like it some way cheapens the original. His story is much like carnivacs, its perfet the way it is, re telling it is very risky.

Also lets face Thunderwing was used again, as cool as storm bringer was is any one going to say it was a better thunderwing story than the matrix quest?

20. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

"Mostly". It's like claiming Wheeljack "mostly" refers to the Armada toy. It's a point of view, but that doesn't mean you're right.