Is Generations/Classics "over"?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bathawk, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Bathawk

Bathawk Well-Known Member

hey all, I have to say, that after over a decade it was the Classics/Generations series which got me back into transformers

but is it over?

most of the original G1 characters that aren't combiners have already been redone with very few exceptions. After Kup, Wheeljack, Wreck Gar and Thundercracker are released what's next? Hoist? Trailbreaker (sorry TrailCUTTER)....Skids?

I think there is still "room" for Generations. we have ROTF Brawn, Gears and Seaspray, and a power core combiner of huffer, but other than the name they have little to do with thier G1 selves, and making a "classic" version this soon after the ier current version came out seems unlikely

The Dinobots? even Grimlock, I was a bit disapointed with his first classics attempt

Not too much for the Decpticons....Blitzwing and Soundwave mainly

Then there are the inconsistent sizes. We have Warpath, Cosmos and beachcomber in legends size, Windcharger in scout class, Bumblebee/Cliffjumper in Deluxe, Seaspray as Voyager, and Powerglide the ...next size? (Galaxy?)...I wouldn't mind seeing all of them in at least Deluxe size

same thing with Frenzy/Rumble coming out as scouts, with Ravage being packed in with Hound

And of course that leaves out characters from other series, Beast Wars is high possibility (Cheetor disappointed, Dinobot rules)...but other series? I don't know, don't think anyone is really clamoring for a RiD X-Brawn, or Energon Ransack

Then again, maybe it's time for a do-ovver? Classics?Generations have greater poseability then the originals due to updated design technology, maybe things have progressed enough they can do even better with another go around?

2. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Nope.

From what we understand, Generations should be continuing throughout the next movie line (thanks goodness). I'm sure they will be quite few new surprises we will be seeing during Toy Fair coming in the middle of February. There is the rumored new Arcee, a few remolds such as Black Shadow, Senator Ratbat, and others based off of Lugnut, Terradive, and Tomahawk instructions.

So we do still have more stuff to look forward too.

3. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

New Arcee? The line is doomed then. No toyline escapes the "Arcee curse".

(just kidding).

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    There's plenty more on the way, and it looks as though Generations might finally be the Classics-styled line to survive the release of a movie line. If anything I would say that RtS is getting close to it's end. Shouldn't be too long till wave 2 hits, and we still haven't heard anything about any possible wave 3.

Really? First I've heard of a possible Arcee since the whole "Kup and/or Arcee" bit in one of the TFclub's magazine's. Kup is obviously on his way, so hopefully Arcee is too.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

To me, personally, Legends Class figures are put out there to prove that Hasbro still holds the Trademark to a character's name. We've seen Hound and now Jazz come out with Legends Class figures and then later on recieve Deluxe Class figures.

I think with the Movie-3 toys being the main focus of the latter half of this year, it provides a good chance to release lesser names ot lower-tier characters out within the Generations line. We could definitely see Deluxe Beachcomber, Brawn, and Warpath be released for simple fan-wank purposes while the larger promoting by Hasbro is elsewhere.

We've seen every mold released so far in Generations, and in some cases RtS, with intended retools already set. So no, the line's not at all done until they say it is.

Takara tends to leave lines hanging, not saying a word if they intend to continue it or not. Hasbro more often than not tells you when a line is finished. So far they haven't implied anything about Generations other than it continuing alongside the Movie-3 promotion.

6. Cungitron

Cungitron Destroyer of Worlds

News Credits:
    I think you mean the 84-85 cast might nearly be done. There are still a hell of a lot of other G1 bots to do

7. Angelwave

News Credits:

:)  That's why I say "rumored". I don't want any hopes to be brought up only for them to be dashed. :D 

8. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We don't even have a G1 Shockwave yet. They haven't revisited Headmasters or Powermasters either.

9. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I actually think they will remold some of them again. I mean Megatron is a joke in his current alt form. He is a gun, not a tank.

Not to mention, we need a better galvatron. While all the autobots tend to have a good G1 representation, except for the Seekers and such, the main decepticons are either poorly done or don't exist. Looking at you Soundwave.

10. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There are more continuities than G1 as well to revisit:) 

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    This, totally. I'd buy a Classics Chromedome in a heartbeat.

Doesn't need to be a Headmaster. Just a homage to the original character will do.

12. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd love for some of the other Headmasters. I'm happy with Hardhead, but I really need Chromedome, Highbrow etc etc

Also, Targetmaster two-packs would be awesome. Charge £7 for three minicon targetmasters (on par with Cyclonus' classics targetmaster of course), and they'd sell like hotcakes. It'd be just like minicon packs from the Armada days!

13. Angelwave

News Credits:
    No...umm...actually let him be a Headmaster....it'll save us dishing out $30 for the eventual upgrade. :D 

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Their's still a whole crap-ton of 86,87,88 and so on to do.

I don't see Hasbro cancelling the Classics series for a long time, it's one of their best money making ideas in years. Plus they haven't done Shockwave, Arcee, Springer, Blitzwing and the 4 other Dinobots.

They might put Classics on hiatus for DOTM but like the Terminator they'll be back.

15. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What this man said. G1 gets a crapton of love, but there should be room for other series to get an homage as well.

Besides, if anything the Classics/Generations are an excellent filler line. Throw in an update or homage or two and you got the collectors happy, and a easy idea for a toy to sell to the young'ins in between the main line at the time.

16. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I cannot see it ending anytime soon. Too much potential there to let it die.

17. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

There is sooooo much more ground for Classics to cover. And since it is a more collector-oriented line, I think Hasbro will be quite willing to expand it beyond just the standard A and B-listers of G1 (heck, they already have on many occasions).

Also, the existence of a Legends figure in no way rules out a larger figure. So I'd say larger releases of bots like Brawn, Beachcomber, Warpath and Cosmos are still totally on the table.

If they want to keep the line going, the source material is there to stretch it out pretty much as long as they want to.

Man, me too. He's my favorite Headmaster, I crave a new Chromedome toy almost as much as I do more prominent characters like Shockwave and Trailbreaker. I still think he could work as a repaint of Classics Rodimus, but of course a new figure altogether would be preferable.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  18. Bathawk

Bathawk Well-Known Member

well i do think Beast wars could use some more love, but what other lines?, like I said, Does Robots in Disguise or Cybertron need "updates"?

Kind of surprised about the Chrome dome comment, unfortunately characters like Skullgrin and Thunderwing show we don't get a an exact recreation, in fact I'm surprised Cyclonus and Hotshot got their "partners"

19. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    i want a generations shockwave and a new seeker mold

20. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    AFTER we get Sunstorm.